Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Companionway cover
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rhbush
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/20/2014 :  04:34:46  Show Profile
I sometimes have blowing rain coming in around the hatch boards. I have some extra sunbrella and I am contemplating sewing a cover for the companionway. Just debating how much area to cover. I really want to cover just the companionway area but not sure how far to extend forward and to the sides. Anyone have a cover like that?

Edited by - on

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  05:47:47  Show Profile
There are a couple of boats at our club that have covers that cover just the companionway area. I have one that covers the cockpit and forward just past the forward hatch. I wanted to cover all the wood and plastic areas on my boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  06:21:09  Show Profile
I recommend making it large enough to cover all of the wood and the windows as well as the companionway. One fairly inexpensive way to do it is to find a good quality powerboat cover on Ebay for a 14-16' boat at a bargain price, one with straps that go under the powerboat, take it to a canvas shop and have them cut a hole for the mast (4"x6") and install a zipper to one side. Preferably find one with rope in the hem, not elastic.
Fold the cover lengthwise, lay it out on your deck, and line up the strap loops with your lifeline stanchions, then mark where you want the mast cut-out.
Mark where you want grommets added for bungees to the bow pulpit and for lines to your cockpit cleats/winches to secure the cover fore and aft. Use the straps to secure the sides to the stanchion bases. I found that 2 straps on each side worked well.

Edited by - dmpilc on 07/20/2014 06:21:47
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  08:18:59  Show Profile
I have always used a boomtent to cover from the mast back to below the companionway and side to side to cover all the wood and the windows. The earlier C25s like your 80 had terrible tolerances so you leak all over the place not just at your hatch boards, the front of the main hatch will allow blow under as an example. Using a boomtent I have NEVER had any insects in my boat when I open her up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PZell
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
548 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2014 :  10:42:16  Show Profile
Sparky has a cover that hooks over cabin top winches and covers just the eyebrows and the hatch and wood trim to below. The sliding hatch cover is closed as the cover fits over the handle there. It snaps on around the perimeter. Cover is used when sailing in rain mostly, thereby keeping below decks dry. It could be used when off the boat to protect wood, but I prefer to leave the vents clear on hatch boards.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  09:39:30  Show Profile
I have a small Sunbrella tarp that I can use as a boom tent or to cover the cabintop.
The good thing about it is it's not specific to one portion of the boat, but can be used anywhere I need shade or rain protection.
When at anchor, I will use it over the companionway if rain is threatening.
I use it with the bimini late in the day or late season if the sun is hot and coming under the bimini cover.
I ordered it with six tie-down eyelets, one in each corner and two along the sides to keep it in place if it's windy.
My preference is to have a more versatile cover. I believe it measures 14' long x 10' wide. I fold it in 1/2 for smaller areas so its 7' x 10'.
Ordered it from Defender in CT, they have a canvas dept.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  16:17:24  Show Profile
My C25 had a pop top enclosure, so I made a sunbrella cover that just covered the hatchboards. I installed snaps, so that I could snap it to the same snaps that were used for the pop top cover. I left extra fabric at the top, and, after I attached the cover, I let the extra fabric hang over the top of the hatchboards. When the hatch was closed, the extra fabric at the top kept the water from blowing between the hatchboards and the sliding hatch.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2014 :  06:31:02  Show Profile
The PO of my boat had a hatchboard cover in brown sunbrella that matched the brown mainsail cover and the tiller cover, but in its original package was a new companionway cover from Catalina Direct in royal blue that matched the new mainsail and tiller covers that were also unusued on the boat that I bought!

[url="http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/627_677/companionway-cover-royal-blue--c-25--87.cfm"]companionway cover[/url]

I had the same problem of rain coming through and around the hatchboards until I began using my new covers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page