Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Paint or Gel Coat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/19/2014 :  20:27:47  Show Profile
What determines whether your paint or gel coat

I have a gel coat and want to clean her up

What do you do if you want to restore gel coat

and what do you do if you want to paint her

Just Curious

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  20:53:47  Show Profile
If the gelcoat isn't worn through, DO NOT PAINT! Use light-duty compound if necessary to remove oxidation and restore the color, and then pick your top-coat, wax or Poli Glow (a polymer finish that has worked well for many of us with old boats--do a Search on "Poli" on the C-25 forum for many lively discussions).

IMHO, if you paint a fiberglass boat, you will deal with chips, scratches, and peeling forever after. Re-painting can't be successful without complete removal--otherwise you have craters in the finish. I you paint to change colors (such as white to Flag Blue), every ding will haut you forever after.

Gelcoat is generally very restorable... Painting over it can destroy the value of a boat. Or to put it another way, I wouldn't buy a fiberglass boat that somebody painted. But I'm just a sample of one.

If you click on the signature pic of my (prior) '85 C-25', you can see some reflection of the fenders on the hull... That was Poli Glow. It wasn't a mirror, but it was easy to do, long-lasting, low maintenance, and looked good in the marina.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/19/2014 21:05:38
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  21:40:06  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
[url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+1000+174"]

Polishing JD[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  09:23:42  Show Profile
Thanks for the info

What is the reason (short hand) for not using poli
I imagine buffing vs Dding a polymer layer is their reasoning

I see you just polished with some good equipment

I have a name I removed and I can see the sun bleach marks from the name stickers

Will buffing get those out

How so you know how much gel coat you have left?

Do you have the link to the buffing info

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  14:05:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Captmorgan

What is the reason (short hand) for not using poli
I imagine buffing vs Dding a polymer layer is their reasoning...
Most C-250s have relatively new gelcoat that is intrinsically glossy, so wax and buffing will bring out the best shine.

Older C-25s tend to have more weathered, oxidized gelcoat, so it can take substantially more work to bring them back with a buffer and wax. Poli Glow is for that case... It takes about five coats to get a nice, even shine, but you just wipe it on with their chamois-type applicator, one coat right after the other, and the whole job can take as little as a couple of hours--no buffing. The result is not as mirror-bright as a great wax job, but it lasts longer. At the beginning of each successive season, one quick coat, plus a little more in high wear areas such as where fenders hang, can be all you need. Some have found that after 5-8 years, they want to remove it all (with PG's cleaner) and start over--not that big a project.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  18:25:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Captmorgan

Do you have the link to the buffing info

Funny you should ask!

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  19:11:24  Show Profile
See, that's what I mean by a "mirror finish" on a C-250--easy to accomplish on a newer hull, and possible for a obsessed owner of an older one. To me, a boat looks fine not looking like glossy plastic. Others are proud of their gloss... To each his own.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2014 :  12:13:13  Show Profile
I believe that anyone who waxes and buffs an OLDER boat has a streak of masochism in him! Polyglow is so much easier.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2014 :  14:26:06  Show Profile
Before you even consider PolyGlow, do your own homework. Yeah, I know, I sound like your mother, but that's my job, mon! :)

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117266

Poly Glow has as many detractors as adherents.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2014 :  15:24:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

. . . anyone who waxes and buffs an OLDER boat has a streak of masochism in him . . .

or her

Edited by - OJ on 07/21/2014 15:29:36
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2014 :  15:28:36  Show Profile
I now have a 20 year history of using PolyGlow on two boats and have never had a problem with yellowing or anything else. Just a mild detergent washing once a year and one new coat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2014 :  17:19:06  Show Profile
I agree with Derek. I have never had any issues with yellowing or peeling.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2014 :  07:33:53  Show Profile
I also agree (obviously), but I'm not a gloss-fanatic. I think of PG as a "semi-gloss" finish--not what you want for a new car, but fully appropriate for an old boat.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/22/2014 15:30:07
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2014 :  19:48:15  Show Profile
ok im sold on the PG but what about the discoloration around the area where the name was. what do you use to remove that. If you poly glo over that it will still be yellowed right

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2014 :  20:51:31  Show Profile
Yes, Poli Glow will immortalize whatever you have, including any marks you don't remove. What you have there is oxidation around the name, and less (or no) oxidation where it was. I think you have essentially three choices:

1. Compound the whole hull, or a large area around the name, to remove the surface both under and around the name, exposing uniform, fresh gelcoat.

2. Put your new name where the old one was, and expect the contrast of the new one to obscure the faint shadows of the old one.

3. Fuggetaboutit. You're the only one who knows or cares. A nice shine will make things reflect enough to obscure the faint shadow of the old name. (Can you see anything under the reflection of the pickup truck in the photo above?)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  05:18:54  Show Profile
If the shadow is on the transom, wash, but don't wax or PG the transom for a year or two, and the gloss where the old name used to be will dull enough naturally so that it won't show anymore. When I changed the name of my boat, I put the new name on over the old one, and left it unwaxed over the winter, and the glossiness of the old name faded away during one winter.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  07:00:24  Show Profile
Yup--four choices!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  10:31:10  Show Profile
Might be a good application for Marykate On & Off:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29371286&KPID=17521256&pla=pla_17521256

Be careful though, this stuff will eat any copper in your bottom paint and discolor (or worse) your painted or galvanized trailer. Read the entire label.

Edited by - OJ on 07/24/2014 10:39:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page