Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Original Hull Colors
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reality
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/19/2014 :  15:45:06  Show Profile
Does anyone know what the original hull colors were in '78 for the C-25? I know my hull has been painted by hand by the PO. It is currently white but where it is scratched I see a deep blue behind it. Was this an option or am I looking at a primer? I would really like to go with a blue hull when I repaint but I don't think I will go with it if the original color was white.

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  16:48:25  Show Profile
Perhaps you could strip the paint and restore the gel coat

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  17:26:18  Show Profile
I've been sanding all day. My 80 model has a white bottom with a orange brown gelcoat stripe at the water line.

I agree with OJ. Start sanding man.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  17:39:01  Show Profile
In 1981, when I bought my new C25, a variety of colors were offered for the hull, and more colors were offered for the deck, and different colors were offered for the stripes. I remember that a sky blue was offered and about 2 different shades of beige, I think there was a pale yellow, but I don't remember if there was a dark blue, although Catalina will tell you if you phone them. In fact, I'm fairly certain they still have the original order for your boat, and if you tell them the hull number, they can tell you the original colors of the hull, deck and stripes. They might even send you a copy of the original order, if you ask nice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  17:47:20  Show Profile
This shade of blue?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Reality
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  18:15:16  Show Profile
Thats probably pretty close OJ. I won't have her out of the water for a while to do any sanding or anything like that. But I would like to have all my materials ready so I can get back in fairly quickly as it is pretty costly to set on the hard over here. If the original color was dark and I can't restore it I will paint it dark again, but if it wasn't I will paint it white.I guess I could do a little dabbling over the side to see what I find. I will try to contact Catalina and see what information they have. Thanks...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  09:40:22  Show Profile
Steve - what was your original hull number?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  13:50:03  Show Profile
To get to the original gelcoat, I'd recommend a fiberglass-safe stripper such as the peel-away stuff at West Marine. That should get 90% of the paint without damaging the gelcoat. The rest you can get with sandpaper, thereby minimizing the assault. Strippers work best in warmer temperatures and are pretty much ineffective below 50F--keep in mind that's the hull temperature, not just the air, so overnight and early mornings can be dubious.

As others have said, restoring the gelcoat is your best option if it's feasible... If painting is your only good option, it's best to use a color that's close to the original gelcoat so the unavoidable dings don't haunt you. However, when the inevitable re-painting becomes necessary, to get a good finish, the old paint will have to come off again. The new paint can tend to loosen the old, and peeling can become rampant. Also, sanding is not very effective for smoothing out scratched and peeling paint.

Gelcoat is best.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/20/2014 13:52:27
Go to Top of Page

Reality
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  16:46:07  Show Profile
I did some research last night on fiberglass safe strippers. I'm gonna pick some up and have a go at on a very conspicuous spot on the hull. (One way or the other the old paint is coming off). At the very least all the paint needs to come off the decks anyway. There are a few dings in the bow that I have to repair and who knows what I'll find under the paint. I guess I have the option of applying a new gel coat any color I want too...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  16:51:24  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I really hope the new owner of my boat doesn't go that route, the original gelcoat on my boat was trashed, and was an ugly light blue.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2014 :  19:19:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shnool

I really hope the new owner of my boat doesn't go that route, the original gelcoat on my boat was trashed, and was an ugly light blue.

At least you can tell them what it was... But if they wanted to "improve" on what you sold them, the first step would be to remove the paint that's there. Leaving it will lead to disappointment. I speak from the experiences of not myself, but several people I've known. Painting over paint on a fiberglass boat is trashing the hull further than it already was.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2014 :  10:46:03  Show Profile
As others have said above, stripping would be most kind to the gel coat.

I would leave the sanding for one of the latter steps. As for grade, I started with about 1000 grit and ended with about 1500 grit.

Then move on to compounds, polishes, maybe glazes and then wax.

Good luck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  16:55:04  Show Profile
What utter rubbish.
I have been painting boats all my working life.
Start removing two pack paint with a DA rotating sander and 80 grit then follow with 120. After you get to a good substrate then degrease and go for hi build epoxy primer followed by your topcoat. simple!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  21:03:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by worane

What utter rubbish. I have been painting boats all my working life.

Your opinion... I've looked at and and walked away from painted fiberglass boats all of my adult life. They work, but I won't buy them. "Whatever floats your boat."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  17:16:41  Show Profile
Worane, you are obviously proud of your work, as any artist would be. We owners see the boats 10 years later and listen to people trying to figure out how to deal with the contrasting color gelcoat showing through the scrape in the paint, and on a boat as cheap as a C 25 that answer is "well you can't repaint it" because the cost would not make sense. Also most boats that are painted in our market are only painted because they have been hammered so it is better to look for a boat with a hull in better shape. That is our experience and our advice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  17:40:07  Show Profile
These guys have a chart of the Catalina gel coat colors.

Look under the Gel Kote tab

http://www.minicraft.com/

Edited by - OJ on 07/31/2014 17:40:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page