Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Trailering the Cat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/10/2014 :  20:34:25  Show Profile
I am moving from Richmond Va to Southern New Jersey.

I have a sierra 1500

should I pay have someone move the boat or trailer it myself with the 1500..

What would be the cost to trailer it that far

John

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2014 :  21:12:07  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I'll start the popcorn...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2014 :  21:16:07  Show Profile
Why the popcorn?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2014 :  21:18:04  Show Profile
I guess I should mention its a cat 15 stanard rig already on a trailer in my yard.

My choices are trailer it my self to NY with the silverado 1500 or

Pay somone to tralier it.

I was wondering on the cost of someone trailering it and the feasiblity of doing it with a 1500

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2014 :  21:55:12  Show Profile
What's the rated towing capacity? (The specs I just looked up ranged from 5900# (a little light for a C-25 on a trailer) to 11,400# (plenty). More significantly, are you comfortable with the idea of 7-8000 lbs. behind you at highway speeds? I sense maybe not... And is your trailer in good shape for highway travel (bearings, tires, and brakes)?

PS: Pass the popcorn... Debating about the adequacy of tow vehicles is an annual pass-time here. (It usually starts with somebody with a mid-sized SUV, which in the past has incited me to describe an event I witnessed on I-75 in Michigan, others to defend the Jeep brand, etc... )

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/10/2014 22:00:52
Go to Top of Page

ftworthsailor
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
279 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2014 :  07:54:44  Show Profile  Visit ftworthsailor's Homepage
I towed my Cat 25 from Daytona Beach, Florida to Fort Worth Texas with a Ford F150 4X4 extended cab pickup truck. The truck had absolutely no issues with towing, however my trailer was not quite set up correctly for hauling a C-25. The boat rode just a little too far behind the tandem wheels so at speed it tended to start to fish-tail. Keeping it under 55 mph stopped the FT and then all I had to be concerned with was fast SEMI trucks blowing by me at 70..... That created quite the excitement.

R

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2014 :  08:25:25  Show Profile
To add to above, it depends on the year of your Sierra, its tow capacity, condition of the brakes (a brake job/upgrade may be in order before the trip), condition of the trailer (axles, bearings, brakes, boat supports), and YOUR comfort level driving the rig. Are there steep hills along the way?
From what I've read in this forum, the key factor in the tow vehicle is brakes, not engine power.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2014 :  09:18:58  Show Profile
If you have doubts, rent a small uhaul. Sounds like you might need one anyway. The towing capacity is plenty. I think the shortest truck is rated at 10,000#s. The larger ones are rated at 7,500#s. I pulled mine from AR to FL with no issues behind a 26' uhual. It was about 1200 miles worth or so. I pulled it at 65-70 the whole way. The dual rear wheels go a long way if your trailer isn't perfect.

Don't bother looking at Penske. They wont let you pull your own trailer.

If you look at shipping costs, you might just want to sell your boat and get another one at the other end.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2014 :  10:34:54  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
my f150 handled 6 hour trip fine. trailer brakes really help. prepare to use a lot of fuel

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2014 :  11:45:51  Show Profile
Lots of people at our marina tow their C25 long distances with a 1/2t pick-up, van or SUV.

As has been said here before, it's not so much the getting going as it is the stopping. Properly functioning trailer brakes are essential. Here in the great state of PA, trailers over a certain weight require brakes on both axles. You might want to check NJ (and states in between) regs.

We have towed our C25 with a 1t, 3/4t and 1/2t. I have no hesitation using our current 1/2t two-wheel-drive Cheyenne, 5.7L, 700R4 with an auxiliary transmission cooler.

BUT (NATURALLY) VERIFY THE SPECS ON YOUR TOW VEHICLE.

Keep your distance and good luck!

Edited by - OJ on 07/11/2014 11:49:02
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2014 :  11:53:34  Show Profile
JDuck00 jogged my memory. The guy who bought my C25 rented a UHaul truck to move it as neither of us had a vehicle large enough. It was a box truck, in the 24-26 ft. size with a class III receiver. The move was only about 12 miles, but you could hardly tell the boat was back there. Just remember that the full rig will be 60 ft. or more long!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Mark Maxwell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
329 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2014 :  18:06:01  Show Profile
Captmorgan,
You have a very common question here and it's a good one. Towing our boats can be a very daunting task and should not be taken without some good planning. Especially on a long haul. That said, it's not that tough either. Some of us tow all the time and are very comfortable with it, and can become complacent in some of the checks/steps that should be taken before the trip. That's why, to me, it's always a good idea to re-visit this discussion. After all, and I don't want to overstate this, but your life and those on the road with you are at potential risk.

Ok, enough of that.... fact is your truck is at the lower limit of ability for this trip. Both in braking and in power. It can be done without any issue at all, however, you will be maxing out the vehicle capability. It has been my experience, this is when good ole Murphy likes most to become present.

Making sure your truck is serviced and at its best will help stave off issues. You should not attempt it without addressing all major mechanical functions, ie; engine overheating, transmission condition, tires and arguably most important braking. Your trailer should be just as well checked, including axel/bearing lube, tires/suspension, braking and boat support bracing.

Using a load sharing hitch system will also make the ride more solid for both you and your vehicle. Frequent stops along the way to do checks on your whole vehicle and load. Road noise or vibration can loosen things you wouldn't expect, but systematic checks on vital components will prevent problems.

The biggest component in this trip is you. You know yourself, if any of this seems too much then I would suggest not doing it without someone knowledgable with you. We all have to start somewhere and if you plan, prepare and re-check as you go, you should have less possibility of problems on the road. Know your limits, and your vehicle limits...plan accordingly.

Good luck with your trip, just by asking for info here I know you'll be as safe as you can.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  09:09:04  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great feedback.

I have a saying or rule I live by

"I dont like to do anything stupid.....so If you see me doing something stupid or planning something stupid tell me"

Based on the feedback this is my plan.

Fact 1 The cost of having it hauled is 1200. that means I spend 1200 and have my boat moved for me and there goes the money. But the boat will be where I want it.

Fact 2: I towed this back to my house for a 1.5 hr drive recently using a F250. I had no Issues and was comfortable.

Fact 3 Its a flat trip no real mountains and I have towed 4 place snowmobile trailers in the snow over mountains.

Plan:

I am going to take the truck in and have brakes completely redone to spec new pads and rotors/drums 600

Im going to take the trailer in and have the same. 400

3 Im going to have a the hitch looked over and reenforced if necesary. 200

1200 hundred dollars later Ill have a upto date trailer and truck and Ill hav to spend probably 4 tanks of gas and 8 hours getting her there.

what do we think?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  10:02:27  Show Profile
You're doing an admirable job of researching and planning... I'll suggest you add to your analysis the question of rated towing capacity. The S-1500 is not the vehicle that the F-250 is--from what I've seen, towing capacities are in the neighborhood of half. Reports I recall here of the total weight of a C-25 on a trailer have varied from under 7,000# to over 8,000#. Add to that the relatively long lever-arm created by this kind of trailer, and that weight becomes a significant issue. If the vehicle is not rated for it, you will be solely responsible for for anything that results from that shortcoming--sorta like the skipper who doesn't have enough PFDs aboard his vessel.

Can you borrow or rent that F-250 again?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  14:04:54  Show Profile
I can rent a truck for a week for 459 and I could get an f250 but that would mean Im not using the money on my truck and trailer. Might still be a good Idea.

I thought the total load of the boat was 5800 and that was the limit of the truck so they are close. Im still thinking Ill research the weight more. I could see if my friend would let me take the F250 for 250$ thats not a bad idea. Then I can use the rest of the money to do the brakes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  14:38:34  Show Profile
[url="http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=25930&SearchTerms=Trailer,weigh"]Here's a thread[/url] that mentions weight from a truck scale... The total (measured at the axles + tongue) was 8500#.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Mark Maxwell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
329 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  16:24:03  Show Profile
Great point Dave.
John, I totally agree with you wanting to use the money to maximize its benefit for you. Your list is valid and a good option, however, my vote is for the F250 as well. If that is an option, you should try and work that out. If you are able, have your boat weighed on it's trailer as it would be going down the road. You should also have the tongue weight checked. A load distribution hitch will really help in handling the weight. 7500 lbs plus is a very reasonable weight plan. You could be less but you are more likely to be more. As to the trailer, having the brakes serviced is great, but, and I can't stress this enough, have your wheel lugs, bearings and spindles checked too.

Travel slow, keep it at 55. Better on gas and better on your trailer. Stop frequently to check things out, stretch your legs. What's the trip, about 8 hours? Just curious, why not sail it to your new location, take a couple of days

Edited by - Mark Maxwell on 07/12/2014 16:40:25
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  20:17:57  Show Profile
Guess Ill be renting the truck. I know the F250 did a good job.

Ill still have the trailer breaks and spindle/hubs checked too.

thanks for the help.

If I had time and enough experience I would sail her, but that would be stupid..Im not ready for that.

Good Idea if I had the experience.

Thanks again

John

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlington
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
196 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2014 :  20:28:34  Show Profile
Hi John:
You may be on to a good idea, 'wishing you could SAIL from NJ to Richmond'

Here is a thread on another site, http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-jersey/632303-boating-ny-harbour-richmond-va-avoiding.html

His idea was how to do it via the Intra Coastal Waterway (ICW) to avoid ocean sailing. He got the route down to just 23 miles of Coastal Sailing-for which the C25 can be a capable craft. If you had a experienced salt to help you, even for the first few days, this could be very doable. Mind you, not someone who had a friend that read a book about it. Instead someone that actually sails the ICW with some Coastal experience and local knowledge. Exactly some of the type sailors that frequent this forum!

Advantages:
Do you actually (otherwise) NEED a trailer?
Any improvements you make to the boat in preparation will be money well spent.
This could be a great adventure.
It could help you get off to a great start!

If this sounds like a viable option, you should start a new thread with the new idea of sailing the ICW as the title

Doug

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2014 :  03:54:12  Show Profile
Too many moving parts!

I have a very complex schedule this could be an adventure I take after I get there. Right now I want to leave her out of the water as I am going through a name change with ceremony of course.

I have a mast gate project and few other items to do while she is out. Thanks for the idea. I like it ..just not now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2014 :  05:28:03  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I should add that the last time i trailered, I used a weight distribution hitch which improved the ride considerably.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2014 :  21:55:15  Show Profile
I just read through and no mention of sway preventors. I installed one on each side of the hitch and with adjustment can reduce the sway from pulling too fast or when passed by large trucks. It can make the travel less stressful but when backing and in tight corners I remove mine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2014 :  22:00:34  Show Profile
I have traveled to the Northwest, 800 miles, almost everyother year and to San Diego with my 79 since it was new. 8000 lbs is a fair estimate and the long wheelbase helps. I use a F250 with extra transmission coolers. Lake Havasu is in the plans.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kiko
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2014 :  15:39:20  Show Profile  Visit kiko's Homepage
Lemme know when you're in havasu Sweetcraft, I am currently restoring a cat 25, would like to see yours when you get here, but too hot now, come october it will be nice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2014 :  20:07:55  Show Profile
Looking forward to Lake Havasu in Feb. Still trying to relearn how to put my pictures on our Forum from Shutterfly. Over the years have made improvements in trailering with help from the Forum and would like to share them.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2014 :  16:59:46  Show Profile
Kiko,
Feel free to swing on by my place in Flagstaff, if it is too hot in LHC it is nice in flag, raining every afternoon right now. been working on the boat most days off....
Cheers,

Scott

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page