Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Catalina Direct spinnaker crane
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/07/2014 :  18:56:42  Show Profile
Anyone here using the above referenced and running the spinnaker halyard inside the mast?

Any issues, additional sheaves required to achieve this?

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  19:00:13  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Pretty sure the C250 and C25 spinnaker crane are the same thing.

Our only issue with it has been the need to flip the block at the top of the halyard aft away from the furler to prevent the furler snagging the spin halyard line. I've taken to flipping the spinny block aft to port and securing the spinny halyard aft so that it crosses over the upper shroud and then down to the port side lifeline.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  20:11:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by britinusa

Our only issue with it has been the need to flip the block at the top of the halyard aft away from the furler to prevent the furler snagging the spin halyard line. I've taken to flipping the spinny block aft to port and securing the spinny halyard aft so that it crosses over the upper shroud and then down to the port side lifeline.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Would a smaller block (off the crane) alleviate it interfering with the furler?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2014 :  05:14:08  Show Profile
Used one on Island Time without an issue. What I remember it was pretty much mount as shipped and use. I believe it comes with the longer clevis pins to mount on the masthead, so nothing additional or any alteration was needed. There is a difference between a SR and TR masthead, I believe the TR is narrower but the CD kit for TR comes with shims to make it fit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2014 :  07:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by britinusa

Our only issue with it has been the need to flip the block at the top of the halyard aft away from the furler to prevent the furler snagging the spin halyard line...

Paul

This is what I was concerned about when I was modifying my own rig for a spinnaker, and why I went to the trouble of fabricating a spinnaker crane myself to carry the block farther forward. We discussed this issue in a thread last year:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27742

I wish Catalina Direct would redesign their crane to move the block farther forward and to keep it there.

(edit)...

In retrospect, I think a single piece of stainless steel angle would have been sufficient; the block would have been a little off-center, but probably not enough to be an issue.

Edited by - Lee Panza on 07/08/2014 07:16:15
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2014 :  07:41:13  Show Profile
Spoke with my goto guy at Harken this morning. He actually recommended a 57mm swivel block. As he is unaware of the shortcomings of the CD crane, I'm going with the 40mm. If the 40mm interferes with the furler I may go to a 29mm.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2014 :  22:07:38  Show Profile
My spinnaker halyard is outside the mast and clear of the forestay. The spinnaker is a reaching 3/4 oz and needs clearance to either side. The block of the crane has to clear everything. Seems with the furler there could be wear right at the swivel block on one side or the other.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  06:49:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sweetcraft

My spinnaker halyard is outside the mast and clear of the forestay. The spinnaker is a reaching 3/4 oz and needs clearance to either side. The block of the crane has to clear everything. Seems with the furler there could be wear right at the swivel block on one side or the other.

Good points Jim. I was so focused on he spinnaker halyard going inside the mast that I haven't thought about any new issues this change might present. Yeah, even though the crane places the spinnaker halyard block forward, the external line is bound to chafe against the furler. My instincts tell me that by this time next year, I will have modified the crane and the halyard will be internal.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  20:17:45  Show Profile
What is a spinnaker crane? I just run the kite block off the front of the chickenhead. It cleared the rollerfurling when I had one. Standard 2" Harken block. (Yeah, all internal halyards.)

Matt

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2014 :  07:17:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Heartbeat

What is a spinnaker crane? I just run the kite block off the front of the chickenhead. It cleared the rollerfurling when I had one. Standard 2" Harken block. (Yeah, all internal halyards.)

Matt

What is a chickenhead?

The definition of "creation of demand" = creating demand for a product or service that didn't exist before. Sometimes that's what I think of the spinnaker crane. Is it truly necessary?

Matt, you have my attention. I see you have a tall rig which has the narrower masthead. You were able to run your spinnaker halyard internally without chafing against the inside if the masthead?

Edited by - OJ on 07/18/2014 07:20:06
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2014 :  09:51:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

What is a chickenhead?

Matt, you have my attention. I see you have a tall rig which has the narrower masthead. You were able to run your spinnaker halyard internally without chafing against the inside if the masthead?

Not sure why it is called a chickenhead, but the prior/first owner called it that. It's the casting that goes on the top of the mast and holds all the sheaves. (I think you knew that, but I thought I would clarify.)

So only the main and jib halyards exit through the chickenhead. The kite halyard exits the mast about 8" below the chickenhead through a double roller offset from the centerline of the mast. (Harken's "in-line exit" 308. I think mine is on the port side.) Hang a swivel block off the front of the chickenhead and bob's yer uncle.

It's a bit busy up there, but works fine. I even use the gin pole to the kite halyard to raise and lower the mast.

Matt

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2014 :  09:55:28  Show Profile
I'll try and take a picture for you if you like.

Oh, back to this spinnaker crane thingey. Why was that again? I work REALLY HARD to lower weight aloft. Why add? Why not just buy a tall rig chickenhead? At least it's aluminum and not stainless.

Matt

Edited by - Heartbeat on 07/18/2014 09:59:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page