Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Capri 25 TransPac Race
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/06/2014 :  09:53:01  Show Profile
Attention Catalina C25/C250/Capri 25 Forum Members -

Stuart "Doug" Paine has begun the Single-handed TransPac Race with about 20 other boats. His Capri 25 is the 2nd smallest boat in the race. As of yesterday he was in 12th position overall out of the 16 boats left in the race. You may have read about Doug's race and the preparation required to "Jack" to get it ready for the race in the latest issue of Mainsheet. You should check out his progress at the website below.

http://sfbaysss.org/shtp/tracker/

Regards,

Edited by - on

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  07:01:22  Show Profile
Pretty impressive! Have you tried to get a weather report for the fleet?
Chuck

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  07:43:05  Show Profile
The tracker says "RTD", not sure what that means. Can't find him on there, looks like he retired.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  08:15:16  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
return to dock ? or retired?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  08:56:37  Show Profile
No he's still in it. 14th place overall. You might be looking at the wrong boat. Boats name is Jack. He suffered a broken spreader. but is still going...
quote:
0800 Jul 6, Report From s/v Jack: Mast intact but no port spreader or shroud. Rigged halyards at spreader and recut jib to fit new fore triangle. Sailing fine and ready for anything, just slow.

Edited by - islander on 07/07/2014 09:12:22
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2014 :  18:48:40  Show Profile
Go Doug !

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2014 :  03:43:54  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Two Capri 25s were entered, I just heard from the other owner, Kevin Jones.. Kevin is a helluva sailor as well, he decided to do his own delivery and brought his boat down from Port Townsend, WA, and must have had a helluva ride. His account:

quote:
I went through three autopilots, shredded a spinnaker, broke my boom, bent a whisker pole, and broke a keel bolt.

We got everything fixed in time but the keel bolt.

He's the one that RTD (retired). I hope to work with him and Brian for an article on his attempt to get down and started... as well as what he did to his boat before hand to get ready.

Kevin also told me that Doug broke a spreader bracket early on, and was working under a jury rig, thus slowing him down.

Another interesting boat in the race is a Capri 30, Fast Lane, sailed by Bary Bristol.

Of course we're cheering for Doug, but my hats off to ALL the racers.

Edited by - shnool on 07/08/2014 03:47:00
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2014 :  03:58:17  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
According to the SSS site the Capri fleet consists of
US Back Beat (RTD)
US Bandicoot
US Fast Lane
US Jack

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2014 :  06:01:06  Show Profile
John, You did all that work on your cockpit scuppers over the winter so the ones on Jack caught my eye. Those will let the water out fast.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2014 :  06:38:42  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Scott what those guys had to do to their boats to qualify, was amazing. Yeah I like that scupper setup... Part of me wonders if it'd be possible to do an open transom modification to the Capri 25.. it'd certainly make the boat look "more modern." If I were to go that route, for sure the next thing I'd want to do is a 6 ft bow sprit and an asym!

By the way the report on my seadog scuppers are they drastically reduce water in the cockpit downwind (a good thing), and they drain decently.

Unfortunately I still have a leak, just can't figure from where. Perhaps the lazarette seals?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2014 :  18:10:58  Show Profile
Hey All -

According to the tracking site, Doug completed the race on July 18th. Does anyone have an update? Do we know how and when he is getting back? I can't wait to do a follow-up article for Mainsheet when I get back in touch with him.

Regards,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2014 :  18:58:50  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Yeah the back story on the two guys in Capri 25s that were entered and what happened to them both would be interesting.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2014 :  05:11:36  Show Profile
So I will ask the stupid question, How do they normally get home now? Does he have to repeat the crossing or just sell the boat and take a first class plane home.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2014 :  19:14:15  Show Profile
Scott - Good question, I wouldn't rush back if that was me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page