Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Failed window reseal project...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

upnorth-mn
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/28/2014 :  19:35:39  Show Profile  Visit upnorth-mn's Homepage
I bought the kit from Catalina Direct and followed the instructions. It is an art not a science. By the time I had finished the last window I think I figured it out. (Learning: Buy (2) kits.) I was not satisfied with the work I did on setting the glass into the channel with the window gasket but installed them on the boat anyway with the 3M 4200 supplied in the kit. The forward port window in the main cabin leaks worse now than it did previously.

I was despondent about this (a lot of labor involved) until someone in the marina told me it took them three tries to get it right on their boat.

I believe I needed a heavier application of the 3M 4200 and more time for oversight. Additionally, the seal for the glass in the channel can be problematic and not be flush with the glass if there is too much material.

Might investigate the manufactured replacement as an option. My OCD might require that I take another shot at it though.

Not sure if one exists but a video on this project with the aluminum windows would be very helpful. I almost did one myself.

Chris

Edited by - on

indyshelley
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2014 :  20:03:36  Show Profile
Sorry to hear they didn't seal for you. I did this job a few months ago. Yes, it is a lot of work! I had to redo one of my windows as well. There was enough rubber gasket to do one extra window. The kit really needs twice as much of the sealants.
I suggest redoing the window sooner than later. Once the 4200 cures it is hard to get the window off.
BTW....there is a full set of windows with frames on ebay right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/catalina-25-sailboat-windows-ports-/171369379924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e6693854
Good luck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

upnorth-mn
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2014 :  14:16:32  Show Profile  Visit upnorth-mn's Homepage
shelley

thanks. i will take another shot. butyl tape was also suggested as an option for the exterior seal.

by the way, i grew up in indy (north central high school) and often sailed a butterfly on eagle creek reservoir with my brother in the early 80's.

cheers,
chris

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2014 :  17:43:36  Show Profile
I redid my windows three times before done. Started out with the rubber seal that came with the kit was for a different thickness of glass and got the right stuff from local glass shop (they had to order it). Then resealed the glass twice with the 4200 for the outer seal. Third time I used the butyl rubber and has been good ever since. I'm a believer in the butyl rubber now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2014 :  15:54:42  Show Profile
Gotta ask . . . . as this is a project for the experienced and not those who are faint of heart, would it overall be cheaper to just have a boat yard do the repair and not worry if it is done correctly and/or deal with buying a second set so you can redo one + windows?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2014 :  18:52:18  Show Profile
On mine the PO may have replaced the original glass or CD sent me the wrong stuff i can only speculate not having another to compare with. But the 4200 just would not seal the outer frame to the cabin exterior. The butyl rubber worked great and still doesn't leak. Nasty job cleaning the old stuff off and the 4200 after it cured but can be done.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dolivaw
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
109 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2014 :  21:44:09  Show Profile
I did this to mine recently too... According to CD, Catalina had two suppliers for the windows at some point, one of which supplied thinner glass than the other. That supplier didn't last long so there are only a small number of boats with the thinner glass. I ended up having a glass shop make me a new pair of thicker panes to fit the wider channel. Even so, I could never figure out how to get the channel to fit without buckling in at least one corner. I tried filling the channel with silicon but could never get the window to sit correctly and just made a huge mess. At someone's recommendation I decided to leave it out.

Butyl tape is definitely the way to go for the exterior seal. That was very easy to apply and sealed perfectly. Just be sure to use plenty of it fill all the gaps. If you end up having to reinstall the windows again the butyl tape is also very easy to remove.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Andiamo66
Deckhand

Members Avatar

1 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2014 :  10:26:50  Show Profile
I used the Catalina Direct window sealing kit several years ago, but I still have several small leaks from the window glass seal. Can someone tell me what type of Dow Corning silicon is used in this kit (ex. 795, 791 or 790)? I want to attempt a spot fix instead of redoing the process again. Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2014 :  13:04:45  Show Profile
I've done three of the six windows on my boat (working slowly I guess) using butyl tape and so far so good, maybe a minor leak somehwere, but not sure yet if it comes from the window or elsewhere.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NathanJay
Deckhand

Members Avatar

5 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2014 :  21:59:15  Show Profile
Hello Chris, I recently purchased a tall rig located near Annandale MN and I am new to this association. I will be working on the window reseal next summer and look forward to your update. Can you tell me more about about sailing on Lake Pepin or should I start another thread for that question? Thank you, Nathan

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  09:36:48  Show Profile
Step one of the reseal is to throw away the 4200 that comes in the CD kit. Actually, I used it to seal the gap between the liner and the outer cabin molding in the window cut outs.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2014 :  11:10:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NathanJay

Hello Chris, I recently purchased a tall rig located near Annandale MN and I am new to this association. I will be working on the window reseal next summer and look forward to your update. Can you tell me more about about sailing on Lake Pepin or should I start another thread for that question? Thank you, Nathan

Search the topic here on the site. There is a lot of "local knowledge " on this project. I always said forget it and used a tarp.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlington
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
196 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  21:42:40  Show Profile
I have done 2 of the four cabin windows, and the front hatch twice. With four windows completed, the third and forth times it looks a lot better. Even with the frame-less plexiglass, it is hard to get a good seal. The original sealant I got was expired and useless, it would never cure when I tried to use it. This may have been my fault for ordering it and not using it right away. Be sure you are not using expired silicone, it does go bad!

I had to take the windows back out and reseal again. I used RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) Silicone (for sealing wind shields) from the auto parts store and had better luck. I still had to seal the plexiglass inside and out. Haven't tried butyl rubber yet.
Doug

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

IndyJim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
130 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2015 :  06:15:27  Show Profile
Okay Skippers, here goes. I just got the re-seal kit from Catalina Direct. I hope it's not as much of a hack job as you all describe it. Why is this job so hard?
I'm starting on the aft portside over the galley. Can it end up worse than the leak I already have?

I keep telling myself I can do it!

Fingers Crossed.

Jim on "Itza Dew Sea"
'84 SK/TR #4525

Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2015 :  09:05:18  Show Profile
I've used butyl as recommended in these group and I've had tremendous success. Just make sure you put enough on (I put three layers) and let it ooze out when tightening the ports. Then cut the excess with a Stanley knife.

Jan Briede
Beagle
1979 TR #1242 FK
L-Dinette
Yorktown, VA
Blog -- http://vanomad.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2015 :  12:46:48  Show Profile
I bought the reseal kit from CD as well but have not used it. Before I ripped out the two cabin windows that had very small leaks I thought I would try something else. Since they were drips and not gushers I used Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. It is a 2 0z bottle purchased from WM for $14. Well, I know it sounds like snake oil but it worked like a champ. It looks like skim milk coming out of the applicator but it is an epoxy that with capillary action wicks itself into the smallest voids and hardens. Several applications may be necessary and our windows did require about three applications but after all that I still have one ounce left and no leaks. Give it a try.

Mike
Chariots of Fire
1981 Cat-25. sail number 2230
SR/SK Dinette Version
Go to Top of Page

upnorth-mn
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2015 :  10:54:04  Show Profile  Visit upnorth-mn's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by IndyJim

Okay Skippers, here goes. I just got the re-seal kit from Catalina Direct. I hope it's not as much of a hack job as you all describe it. Why is this job so hard?
I'm starting on the aft portside over the galley. Can it end up worse than the leak I already have?

Interesting to see this thread still going...

My windows leaked worse after the "re-seal." I read (don't remember where now) that 30% of the Catalina 25's with the aluminum frames leaked right off the production line. It's just poor design. I am installing Cruising Concepts retrofit windows. I want to overnight on the boat in the Apostle Islands and want leaky windows to be the least of my concerns.

Good luck with your re-seal. Read the forum for ideas, take your time and make sure you get a solid seal on the outside frame to the fiberglass.

I'll let y'all know how my Cruising Concepts install goes later this month.

Up North - C25 SR/SK Traditional w/Pop-top #2172 / Lake Pepin
upnorth-mn@nym.hush.com

she's an old boat he says / with gate valves as seacocks / cracked and weathered teak / and sails misshapen / from close hauled tacks upwind
Go to Top of Page

mrapkins
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2015 :  06:14:35  Show Profile
Here's a link to an article I wrote on how to re-bed the windows. I have had zero leaks ever since I did this in 2010.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A1B45A007CA19085!6634&authkey=!ALEIHpi7Heny9-w&ithint=file%2cdoc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page