Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Racing Forum
 Catalina 22 Nationals
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/19/2014 :  04:28:59  Show Profile
Leaving tomorrow morning, 5 AM, for Lakewood Yacht Club, Seabrook, TX, for the 2014 Catalina 22 Nationals, June 22-26. Crewing with another of our fleet members, who has a C22 Sport. Should be a fun event, except for the 12 hours driving each way!
I went to the C-22 Nationals last year at Ft. Walton Yacht Club (FL) and we had a blast. From the pictures, Lakewood looks a lot spiffier.

Edit 6/22: Lakewood is an awesome Yacht Club, right across the channel from the Kemah Boardwalk entertainment complex. Had a practice race today, Association business meeting starts shortly, and racing in earnest starts tomorrow. The practice race (and the scene for tomorrow) was about 2 miles out in the Bay. Really big water for us lake sailors!!!

Edited by - dmpilc on 06/22/2014 15:01:13

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2014 :  15:50:06  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
PICS! We need more PICS - especially those of us that keep our boats on a trailer out of the water!!!

PICS!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2014 :  17:29:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc

Leaving tomorrow morning, 5 AM, for Lakewood Yacht Club, Seabrook, TX, for the 2014 Catalina 22 Nationals, June 22-26. Crewing with another of our fleet members, who has a C22 Sport. Should be a fun event, except for the 12 hours driving each way!
I went to the C-22 Nationals last year at Ft. Walton Yacht Club (FL) and we had a blast. From the pictures, Lakewood looks a lot spiffier.

Edit 6/22: Lakewood is an awesome Yacht Club, right across the channel from the Kemah Boardwalk entertainment complex. Had a practice race today, Association business meeting starts shortly, and racing in earnest starts tomorrow. The practice race (and the scene for tomorrow) was about 2 miles out in the Bay. Really big water for us lake sailors!!!

Welcome to my waters! Lakewood is about a mile (maybe less) in a straight line from my marina. Just across the lake.

Definitely a nice place!

Look to the SW from Lakewood for the big US flag flying about 150' in the air. That's my home marina.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2014 :  12:28:37  Show Profile
Lakewood is the "home club" for the famous Galveston to Port Aransas Harvest Moon Regatta - so they sure know how to do regattas! I crewed in the 2002 C22 Nationals at the Houston Yacht Club (just "up the road" from Lakewood)and had a blast.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2014 :  08:17:40  Show Profile
Well, I'm back in Nashville and can say we survived Galveston Bay. Travel time was more like 15 hours each way, not 12. Spinnaker boat races were in the morning on Clear Lake close to the club, Monday and Tuesday afternoons gold and silver fleets raced on the bay, about 3 miles out (GaryB - out past the channel markers), took 40-45 minutes of motoring/sailing from the club to get out to the course. We got in 1 race each day before the weather brought us back in. Winds were 10-12 gusting to 17-18. Almost everyone had full sails up, main and 150 genoas. We had just 2 on the boat, lots of work, needed 3. We ended Tues. with 3 tied for first in silver fleet, 4th place boat from Rome, GA was 2 points back, and we were in 5th 8 points back. The skipper's son arrived Tues, evening so we had 3 on the boat for Wednesday and Thursday races. Wednesday they kept us on the lake and we came in first, but were protested at the start by the 4th place boat. We felt they fouled us so we both filed protests, and we lost the hearing. My skipper has filed an appeal on the ruling. More on that later. The DSQ knocked us down to the bottom (12 boats in silver fleet). Thursday, in spite of more thunderstorm threats, we went back to the bay, but closer in. Forecast was 12-15 with gusts to 20, but it was light at the start. Everybody had the 150 genoas up. We got a good start and were well ahead of the boat that protested us the day before, and were sailing well toward the windward mark when the storm hit. We got around the windward and offset marks and decided to not use the whisker pole. The wind was howling, and a minute or two later the rain hit. Horizontal rain that felt like needles on my face, and white-out conditions for about 10 minutes. We could barely see our own bow and nothing more than a boat length away. We got the genoa down and were still doing hull speed and surfing with main alone. We heard on the radio that the course had been shortened, but couldn't see the committee boat in time to get on the correct side of her. End result, we passed her on the wrong side and DNF'd that race, along with 4 other boats. Finished 10th overall. Frankly, all we cared about at that moment was making it back to shore alive! One crew on another boat was hit by the boom, but is okay. No other injuries and all boats made it back, thankfully. One boat had to be towed in after she took a wave over the stern that drowned out their motor. All in all, it was a terrific experience, my second Nationals, and I'm glad I was able to experience bay sailing, but I could have done without the last 20 minutes! Lake sailing will be a breeze from here on out.
Edit: We found out later that a tornado had touched down about 12 miles from us.

Edited by - dmpilc on 06/28/2014 08:20:09
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2014 :  08:31:53  Show Profile
quote:

Well, I'm back in Nashville and can say we survived Galveston Bay. Travel time was more like 15 hours each way, not 12. Spinnaker boat races were in the morning on Clear Lake close to the club, Monday and Tuesday afternoons gold and silver fleets raced on the bay, about 3 miles out (GaryB - out past the channel markers), took 40-45 minutes of motoring/sailing from the club to get out to the course. We got in 1 race each day before the weather brought us back in. Winds were 10-12 gusting to 17-18. Almost everyone had full sails up, main and 150 genoas. We had just 2 on the boat, lots of work, needed 3. We ended Tues. with 3 tied for first in silver fleet, 4th place boat from Rome, GA was 2 points back, and we were in 5th 8 points back. The skipper's son arrived Tues, evening so we had 3 on the boat for Wednesday and Thursday races. Wednesday they kept us on the lake and we came in first, but were protested at the start by the 4th place boat. We felt they fouled us so we both filed protests, and we lost the hearing. My skipper has filed an appeal on the ruling. More on that later. The DSQ knocked us down to the bottom (12 boats in silver fleet). Thursday, in spite of more thunderstorm threats, we went back to the bay, but closer in. Forecast was 12-15 with gusts to 20, but it was light at the start. Everybody had the 150 genoas up. We got a good start and were well ahead of the boat that protested us the day before, and were sailing well toward the windward mark when the storm hit. We got around the windward and offset marks and decided to not use the whisker pole. The wind was howling, and a minute or two later the rain hit. Horizontal rain that felt like needles on my face, and white-out conditions for about 10 minutes. We could barely see our own bow and nothing more than a boat length away. We got the genoa down and were still doing hull speed and surfing with main alone. We heard on the radio that the course had been shortened, but couldn't see the committee boat in time to get on the correct side of her. End result, we passed her on the wrong side and DNF'd that race, along with 4 other boats. Finished 10th overall. Frankly, all we cared about at that moment was making it back to shore alive! One crew on another boat was hit by the boom, but is okay. No other injuries and all boats made it back, thankfully. One boat had to be towed in after she took a wave over the stern that drowned out their motor. All in all, it was a terrific experience, my second Nationals, and I'm glad I was able to experience bay sailing, but I could have done without the last 20 minutes! Lake sailing will be a breeze from here on out.
Edit: We found out later that a tornado had touched down about 12 miles from us.

I was within a couple of miles of that tornado and didn't know until later. Luckily I was on shore.

We've had some of the highest average winds during the past week that we've had in a long time.

The company I work for had it's annual bay fishing tournament yesterday and everyone came in 3 hours early because they were tired of getting beat up in the wind.

Sounds like overall you had a good time. Next time stay around for the weekend and we can go sailing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2014 :  08:34:01  Show Profile
We calculated that if we had finished the last race, and prevail on the appeal, that we would have finished 3rd or 4th.
About the protests: We were starting the Wed. race and were close to the line, a little bit early, so I eased the genoa and we turned down a little maybe 10 seconds before the start. The other boat was clear astern and came up to leeward and headed us up. At the gun, we hailed her that we were up and to hold her course. She continued the push up and ten seconds after the start, she bumped us. We protested and she protested back that we did not come up enough, violating her leeward boat rights. We claimed she violated rule 17 among other rules, and that we had the right to sail our proper course. My skipper reported back that all the protest committee considered was her leeward boat rights and claimed that there was no proper course sailing upwind. Didn't make sense to me. We should find out the appeal decision in about 2 weeks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2014 :  12:35:01  Show Profile
GaryB,
I would have loved to stay for the weekend, but I was riding with the skipper, and I had to get back anyway.
We did enjoy the trip, and sailing in the area. I would love to come back again and sail the bay on a bigger boat, but it likely will not happen any time soon.
On the lake, we used your marina's flag, and the one on Lakewood's side, to judge wind conditions.

Edited by - dmpilc on 06/28/2014 12:38:27
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2014 :  14:55:57  Show Profile
There is no "proper course" before the start. After the gun it does not matter which way you are sailing, there IS a "proper course".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2014 :  15:11:15  Show Profile
quote:

GaryB,
I would have loved to stay for the weekend, but I was riding with the skipper, and I had to get back anyway.
We did enjoy the trip, and sailing in the area. I would love to come back again and sail the bay on a bigger boat, but it likely will not happen any time soon.
On the lake, we used your marina's flag, and the one on Lakewood's side, to judge wind conditions.

I usually use those two flags too, especially my marina's flag. A lot of the time due to the land features on the Southeast edge of the lake those two flags will be pointing up to 90 degrees different than the other.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2014 :  12:35:58  Show Profile
Collision occurred 10 seconds after the start, so yes, we argued proper course. Protest committee ignored that, which is why my skipper filed the appeal.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page