Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Genoa sheets
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoergK
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/17/2014 :  05:49:59  Show Profile
My genoa track is inside the shrouds. Sheets are running on the inside, too, which is fine upwind. However, not ideal when running because the sheets then have to curve around the shrouds.
How to best deal with this "problem"? Did anyone try to have two sheets on port and two on starboard, one inside and one outside, using either depending on the situation and leaving the other slack? Makes for a lot of lines in the cockpit, though.

Edited by - on

CJRoxs
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2014 :  07:19:33  Show Profile
Mine is rigged the same way. It's easy enough to just re-route the sheet when going downwind. I re-route the SB sheet when I'm on a port run and once I jib I will then switch the port sheet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2014 :  08:06:06  Show Profile
Like all WK models, my chainplates are inboard. My sheets go outside the shrouds. I've never had any interest in running the sheets inside the shrouds, even for beating. In my experience, sheeting that tightly causes the genoa to be too flat and lose its foil shape.

I'm no great expert at sail trim, so I'd be interested in any speed data and/or sailing references that recommend sheeting in this tightly. Do you have polar charts that show significantly higher pointing and or better speed at a given point of sail?

Maybe one of our racers can chime in on this.

Edited by - TakeFive on 06/17/2014 08:18:09
Go to Top of Page

Ian Brisbane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
37 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2014 :  19:26:28  Show Profile
Hi All

Like you I am rigged inside the shrouds, for a 105% jib. My cars can run forward of the shrouds for downwind or reaching work, can yours? If not rather than re running your inboard lines whilst you are moving you can put on a 3rd sheet on the clew and run it to a little block attached to the staunchion base next to the shrouds, this will allow you to ease your inboard sheet to an outboard sheet and back in again if required. Ocean racers use this method to open the slot whilst reaching. My sail is too small for it to be worth a go for me but may be for you.

Cheers Ian

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

c22sailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2014 :  17:25:34  Show Profile
Like Rick S. stated above, I run my sheets for my 135% genoa outside the shrouds and have been very pleased with the pointing ability. I can see where inside the shrouds might be better for a smaller jib.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2014 :  21:27:11  Show Profile
Just to clarify some of the rigging replies.
The standing rigging depends on your model and year.

The winged-keel models always have the chain plates on the cabin top.
The early water-ballast had the chain plates at the rub rail.
Later water-ballast models have the chain plates on the cabin top.
This enabled Catalina to use the same deck mold for both models.
My 2004 water-ballast has cabin top shrouds, in-line with the genoa tracks.

From the replies, the original post and first reply have early water-ballast models.
The other replies have the other shroud location.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  07:05:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

...The early water-ballast had the chain plates at the rub rail...

That's what I thought too, but CJRoxs says his 1995 WB model has them inboard.

I'm still curious to see how others with inboard chainplates route their sheets. Even with my little 110, I have a hard time imagining routing them inside the shrouds. There are so many points of sail where I let the genoa out to maintain sail shape for the wind direction. It's not just DDW that it's an issue.

Edited by - TakeFive on 06/23/2014 07:27:03
Go to Top of Page

CJRoxs
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  07:11:19  Show Profile
Let me clarify. My shrouds are attached at the gunnel, my sheets run inside.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  07:26:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CJRoxs

Let me clarify. My shrouds are attached at the gunnel, my sheets run inside.

Since the shrouds are further out, it makes sense that you would run them inside. For the models with inboard chainplates, I'm a little puzzled.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JoergK
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  12:24:27  Show Profile
Like Russ said, my WK has the chain plates on cabin top, and the track inside. To move the cars ahead of shrouds when reaching does not work for my 135% genoa.
So, I now rigged a second sheet to the clew and run it outside as Ian suggested, running it through the top round opening of the block on the genoa tracks ("car")and back to the cockpit (maybe I will add a block to the stanchion base as he suggested).
Didn't get around to test it yet but I am hopeful it'll work fine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  19:57:41  Show Profile
JoergK,

Thanks for the update.
So, I got a few of the facts wrong. I thought you had a water-ballast, but I was wrong.

In your situation, you have a 135% jib, which makes a difference.
In 2003, the 135% was an upgrade option. The "standard" option is a 110% jib.
My 110% jib works pretty well when run inside, and downwind it doesn't seem to cause a problem. I could see where a 135% would cause your rigging question.

I'd like to see some pictures when you are finished.
Thank, Russ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ian Brisbane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
37 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2014 :  03:46:22  Show Profile
Hi Rick here is the thread that has a picture in it that shows the jib sheeted inside the shrouds http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27024&SearchTerms=Sheet,inboard
It's not about sheeting in super tight - just getting the right sheeting angle.

Hope the pic helps

Cheers Ian

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CJRoxs
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2014 :  10:53:22  Show Profile

I've never seen hiking out on a 25'.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JoergK
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  04:12:29  Show Profile
Here is how I rig my "twin" jib sheets (one inside and one outside of the shrouds). The first runs through the block in the usual fashion, with the second running through the "eye" of the same block. I use the one which best fits the situation with the other limp around the shrouds.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tahoe Cruiser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  11:48:25  Show Profile
I have a WK with a 135 genoa. I run mine outside if the wind is light and inside when I have a reefed mainsail. It takes like 15 seconds per side to re-route the sheets. When they are routed outside with a reefed genoa they put a lot of stress on the shrouds and don't have an ideal angle for trimming small furled jib. I would not want a second line for each side as that would just cause more problems for me than it is worth.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page