Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Admiralty Forum
 The Adventure Continues!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2014 :  16:16:37  Show Profile
quote:
This is Widow Maker, about 10 minutes after her arrival

That mainsail, flaked on the boom, is a thing of beauty......
How many people were on that boat.....
Great photos.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2014 :  18:40:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

quote:
This is Widow Maker, about 10 minutes after her arrival

That mainsail, flaked on the boom, is a thing of beauty......
How many people were on that boat.....
Great photos.

Truthfully, I didn't count the race crew, but I think they had 6. We had four delivery crew.

It only takes two people to flake a mainsail like that, even on a big boat. One person is at the mast, and he pushes the flakes alternately to each side of the boom as the sail comes down. Most people put the first flake on the starboard side. Then, the other person is at the aft end of the boom. <u>He pulls the foot of the sail aft, to pull all the wrinkles out of the fabric</u>, and <u>lays the first flake on the starboard side</u>. Then, he <u>pulls the leech of the sail aft</u>, to smooth it, and <u>lays the next flake to port</u>. Then, he pulls the leech aft and lays each flake on alternate sides. For neatness, he tries to make each flake about the same size. When he comes to a batten, he adjusts it so that the batten lies on top of the boom. The key to getting smooth, neat flakes is to pull the leech aft as you lay each flake.

I periodically crew for the guy who flaked down that sail, on his own boat, a CS 36. I think he was the tactician on Widow Maker in the Bermuda race, and he's one of the smartest racers on the bay. I was trimming both his main and jib in a very light air race when this photo was taken last summer. We were at the far right of the photo, in the lead. Then the wind went completely dead, and we all sat there just like that for about 15 minutes, until we got enough air movement to get going again. The next mark was only about 100 yards to the right of that photo. (I hope someone knows how to re-size this photo.)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page