Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Weather concerns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/23/2014 :  11:09:34  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
Hello,

I recently purchased a Catalina 25 and finally secured a slip in my hometown of Seattle. Currently the boat is moored in Olympia which is a fair distance away. The plan is to take the boat under power and make a two day trip up north starting on Saturday. I grew up sailing a 40ft ketch and am comfortable on the water but have not been on a sailboat for almost 10 years so under power seemed the way to go. However, there's a small craft advisory out now for the area and I'm concerned as to when to worry about the wind speeds in a boat this size. If I leave as scheduled there will be SSW winds of up to 15 knots. Ideas?

Blog of my first boat: http://justinkonecny.wordpress.com

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  13:24:25  Show Profile
Sounds like a downwind run to me( OK a beam reach ) ..( except for Nisqually reach. and that run to Federal Way. That could be rough. ) I would say no problem but I'd think your concern would be the fact that the boat is new to you. Wouldn't you rather use it a few times and find out if you can trust the rigging, engine, rudder, etc.etc.etc.

and you are solo on a new to you boat.

I think I'd make the drive a few times and become a bit more comfortable with the boat and find some crew ( and an able bodied seaman/seawoman at that )

IMHO.

I have no idea how bad those waters are... ask a local.. but the boat can handle 15 no problem... Maybe ALex W will chime in ... he's from up there..

Edited by - redeye on 04/23/2014 13:47:58
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  15:24:48  Show Profile
Your blog says fixed keel so that is a plus on the peace of mind issue. Remember that sometimes sailing is the smoother ride, how are your sails; haw many reefs? Make sure your reefing is rigged so if you need to... you can.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  19:33:47  Show Profile
The left over slop could make it uncomfortable, but I consider 10 - 15 about perfect. That said, I would be a lot more comfortable after a couple of hours on the water before committing to a two day trip on an unknown boat. Poor maintenance on the cosmetics might reflect the same approach to critical systems.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  01:21:12  Show Profile
I'll add a few of things.

Make sure the forecast is for that specific area. Many times, in my area, Tampa Bay, they will issue a small craft advisory for offshore, in the Gulf of Mexico. But at the same time give a different wind forecast for the Bay.

Second, carry at least two anchors, with 10-20' of chain and plenty of rope.

Third, get a second handheld VHF radio

Fourth, go here:
http://www.boatus.com/

After clicking the link, click on towing, buy a membership and add unlimited towing. If you become unable to sail the boat, and the outboard quits, you can thank me later.......

Edited by - Davy J on 04/24/2014 01:31:20
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  01:41:09  Show Profile
After looking at this:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-122.91691& lat=47.09414

Wind might not be the problem, staying dry on the otherhand......

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  04:52:19  Show Profile
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KSEA&state=WA

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  07:48:10  Show Profile
I don't trust weather forecasts here more than a day out, especially wind forecasts.

Have you sailed the boat before? What size headsails do you have? Do you have reefing configured for the main? Even if you plan on motoring I would make sure that you can sail the boat too just in case something fails with the motor.

The current weather forecast on Puget Sound is:
SAT...S WIND TO 10 KT...BECOMING SW 5 TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.

SAT NIGHT...S WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.

SUN...SW WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.

Saturday looks quite nice, 20 knots on Sunday is getting into reefing range (at least on the tall mast that I had). You'll have a tailwind the whole way, which makes the sailing more comfortable. I'd do it, but bring good rain gear (and potentially multiple sets). A lot of people around here have ski pants, those make good foul weather pants too.

Congrats on the new boat? What marina did you get into? I keep my boat at Shilshole.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  08:03:51  Show Profile
I forgot the most important thing, which is to keep track of tides and currents. You'll be going through a number of tidal races that can get moving pretty swiftly and it won't be much fun to go against them.

My favorite tool for checking on currents around here is http://deepzoom.com. It requires Silverlight (probably the last thing that I use which does), but provides great visualizations of currents and tides. There are "spring tides" this weekend, which are larger than normal with swifter currents.

I'm going to assume your boat is at Budd Inlet and you are trying to get to Tacoma for the first night. You'll probably want to get through Dana Passage by 11am on Saturday. You'll be fighting light currents until about 4 or 5pm, depending on where you end up by that time.

If you wait a week and do this on May 3rd the currents will be in your favor from 10am to 3pm and you'll make much faster time and have a nicer ride.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  14:33:41  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
Thanks for the advice. I took the boat out last night for a couple hours and everything seemed to be working alright. The 3.5HP motor the boat came with is pretty weak so I rented a 8HP long shaft from Aurora Rents. I won't be making the trip alone, a friend is tagging along. We hope to get from Boston Harbor to Fox Island by Saturday afternoon/evening and then onto Ballard the following morning.

The deepzoom app is now installed on my phone to keep me aware of the currents, depths and tides. And I took advantage of the BoatUS discount after purchasing the 50' mooring lines required for the Chittenden Locks.

Thanks again.
If I don't sink and die I'll post how it went!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  14:57:57  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The 3.5HP motor the boat came with is pretty weak <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You will want to keep that....... for your dinghy.... Good grief, are there no tidal currents in your area???

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  17:00:59  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Davy J</i>
You will want to keep that....... for your dinghy.... Good grief, are there no tidal currents in your area???
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The 3.5HP is not going anywhere, I'm just renting the larger motor for the trip this weekend.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  04:06:25  Show Profile
Camera.. always good to see images from your first big outing on a new boat.

Sounds like fun.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  06:47:54  Show Profile
It looks like a couple of great days for spring sailing:
TODAY...S WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON.

TONIGHT...S WIND 5 TO 15 KT...RISING TO 15 TO 25 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS...BUILDING TO 2 TO 4 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. RAIN LIKELY...THEN RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SUN...SW WIND 10 TO 20 KT...BECOMING 10 TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY.

I know it's a delivery, but I hope you get the sails up and enjoy the breeze too. I went out for a post-work sail last night (and testing new sails on a friend's boat), we had very nice conditions (N 10kt) with a beautiful sunset. The breeze let up by Agate Pass nicely and we docked under sail to grab a few pieces of pizza.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  13:51:38  Show Profile
How did it go? It was pretty wet on Saturday night, but otherwise conditions seemed pretty good (at least Seattle north to Whidbey).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2014 :  15:46:08  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
We made it to Seattle this weekend. Day one was from Boston Harbor Marina in Olympia to Gig Harbor on the peninsula. Started the cruise off strong with a complete power failure; so no instruments, lights or radio for the duration of the trip. The narrows was no problem after timing the tides/currents, which was a huge relief. But on Sunday we hit some pretty nasty weather in the North Sound and we had to hole up on Bainbridge Island for a bit. Still made it across to the Ballard Locks, but it was pretty gnarly for a first sail. I think the 8hp motor is the way to go long term over my 3.5hp, but I want to make sure it has electric start and a remote throttle, not having those was a pain in the ass. As of now, she is happily moored on Lake Union and much more accessible to me.

I'll toss some pictures up later after I get caught up again here at work.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2014 :  10:55:11  Show Profile
Glad it went well and I hope you enjoy the new boat. Since you are on Lake Union you need to get out for Duck Dodge. You can say hi to my old boat (Lutra) which is out there most weeks, and Vayu, another C-25 that makes almost every Duck Dodge.

C-25s are solid 3rd start boats for Duck Dodge.

Edited by - awetmore on 05/03/2014 10:57:08
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2014 :  19:51:25  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
I'll go out for the Duck Dodge next year. This summer I need to focus on learning to sail again. =)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page