Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Admiralty Forum
 Nautical Art
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/19/2014 :  08:53:11  Show Profile
I'm really excited about an original oil painting that I recently acquired by French artist Eugene Hieblot (1886-1953), who was particularly known for painting ships. The SS Chicago was built in 1908 at St. Nazaire by the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, commonly known as the French Line, and Hieblot was commissioned by the company to paint the ships that they built. The Chicago was in service until 1928. I would surmise that the picture must have been painted sometime around 1907-1908, and Hieblot must have been about 20 when he painted it.

I have seen several of his ship paintings, including a different version of the SS Chicago, and they all depict the ships in fair weather, which makes the ships appear massive and powerful. This is the only one of his paintings that I have seen that depicts a ship in heavy weather, and it makes the ship appear small and vulnerable. For that reason, I suspect that the artist painted this painting to please himself, rather than to please the shipbuilder. It's very dramatic, and grabs my attention every time I walk into the family room.

The ship ran with passengers between Havre and New York. The French Line was one of the great shipbuilders of the 19th-20th Century. They built the famous Ile de France, which was in service from 1928-1959, and was once considered the most luxurious passenger ship in the world. The Ile de France participated in the rescue of passengers after the collision and sinking of the Andrea Doria and the Normandy in 1956.

When I acquired this painting, it was unframed and very dirty. I had it cleaned, restored and framed by an art conservator, and am glad to have had an opportunity to rescue it.

This link contains a list of all the ships built by the French Line, including the Chicago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_Compagnie_G%C3%A9n%C3%A9rale_Transatlantique

Copyright Steven R. Milby 2014

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 04/19/2014 08:57:35

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2014 :  11:40:24  Show Profile
Wow! Steve, that is a beautiful painting ... I would LOVE to have that on my wall!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  11:01:44  Show Profile
Yepper.. put that image on the internet, and who knows... someone will reply, "I remember that trip, very nasty weather."

Saved Art... Sweet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  12:20:27  Show Profile
Very cool, Steve. That's a great picture.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page