Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Hopefully Back in the Water this year
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John P
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
324 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/17/2014 :  12:04:29  Show Profile  Visit John P's Homepage
So, I am hoping that this year I will get the boat wet for the 1st time in over 8 years! yes 8 Years! I pulled it in late fall of 2006, then lost too much time being away from home working for a few years, watching my family grow from a dog and a couple cats to include 2 new children (girl and boy, 2 and 5). Now I am hoping to get it back in the water and the kids exposed to sailing (note that 2 summers in a row, my son was on a 28' E-Scow that we have access to in the summer).

I am thinking that the mods the boat will be minor in the form of safety netting on top and perhaps some bump guards below in places.

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  12:23:50  Show Profile
Get out there.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John P
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
324 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  12:30:56  Show Profile  Visit John P's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

Get out there.

Thanks Frank!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  13:51:14  Show Profile
Great to hear! But Illusions is going to seem like a slug compared to that big E... (I love those things--on lakes!)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John P
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
324 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  16:55:23  Show Profile  Visit John P's Homepage
I agree, I grew up on scows and have always loved their acceleration and planing ability when flying a chute. I have only sailed on lakes and minor some brackish water (Barnegat Bay and Little Egg Harbor), but what great rides.

Just the same, the C25 has a nice gentle quickness about it. I like it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  20:10:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by John P

...Just the same, the C25 has a nice gentle quickness about it. I like it.

Agreed! And where I am, the E scow would be a wet, rough ride (that might sink). But it brings back fond, distant memories from a Michigan lake (along with C-scows and Y-Flyers).

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/17/2014 20:13:52
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  09:37:34  Show Profile
Welcome back, from one JohnP to another John P!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John P
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
324 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2014 :  18:15:05  Show Profile  Visit John P's Homepage
Ugh!

I finally stopped by the boat today, to slap a "For Sale" sign on her no less. What a disgrace. Honestly, I am very upset with myself for letting her fall into such a state, but in a strange sense, I blame the marina as well. When I pulled her out of the water back in 2006, she had a spot in the lot that was in close proximity to the haul out. 2 years later when I stopped by in the spring, she was gone, moved to the far South end of the lot. Still in an accessible location. I checked on things, made sure she was buttoned up etc. Last fall, I checked on her again before the fall of snow and all was well. This past March, I stopped by one sunny (but snow-covered) day and could not find her. they moved her again, this time to the far West part of the lot. she is the last boat before the end of the property. Today, I had to wade through almost chest high weeds to get to her. I climbed aboard, removed the hatches and took inventory. All was the same as I had left it 8 years ago. Very stinky, very dirty (yes they do leak a bit), the deck is now more grey with dark spots than white. Anything plastic topsides has to be replaced, as does the the standing and running rigging. The rigging is what has me concerned as it is an expense that I am not looking forward to......

So, going forward, I have to serious talk to the marina manager about all of this boat moving business. I can not do any work on it where it currently sits (no power, no water, too many weeds, etc..). First order of business will be to get it moved, then the mast dropped and take inventory of what needs to be done. I am still optimistic that the original 1984 Mariner outboard will still work (been in my garage for all these years).

As for the For Sale sign, it is a funny story. I am a minority at the marina as I live in the US. About 95% or more of the boats there are from Quebec and if they are on land, there is a For Sale sign on them. Once out of the water at the end of the season, a sign goes on. My theory, if somebody comes along and offers close to what I paid for it (about $5K below book since it was a family friend), I will take the money and look for something else.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John P
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
324 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  08:49:06  Show Profile  Visit John P's Homepage
Inside is clean! I spent the majority of yesterday cleaning the inside of the boat. What a mess, but thankfully, I had a full spray bottle of "Greased Lightning" and a new tube of Clorox wipes. I started in the forward birth and ended at the stern. I cleaned and cleaned and honestly, as I always say to people, "she cleans up nice". I only encountered one mishap and that occurred 2 hrs into the ordeal, I was just coming off the bottom step of my ladder and proceeded to roll my ankle and was hobbled for the rest of the day. Suffice to say, the topsides cleaning did not go as well. I still have to focus on the topside in more detail as well as the hull.

Curious if anyone out there has any secret remedy for the moldy growths that we get on the deck? I hit it with just water and scrub brush and gets most of it, but it still leaves some small filled spots in the antiskid.

As for moving the boat, I had a talk with the director, who is new last fall, had no knowledge of the boat being moved so many times and only added that it seamed like a waste of effort, that said, If I wanted to move the boat it would cost me $200. Time for a new marina. They did come out and mow around the boat so I could work without the bugs. Sadly, I had to run 120' of hose and 150' of extension cord for power.

I removed all the old stay guards as they were flaking off, and ran my hands down all from as high as I could reach and found no snags, but still I am leery of the rigging as I do not know the age.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  09:38:08  Show Profile
quote:

... If I wanted to move the boat it would cost me $200...

I'd remind them you already paid them to pull the boat and park it and that <u>they</u> moved the boat without your permission to an area that is not conducive for you to be able to work on your boat to prepare it for relaunching.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  09:48:43  Show Profile
A buddy of mine swears by "Simple Green" cleaner. He buys it by the gallon and dilutes it 50-50, and tells me that he prefers it to bleach on his anti-skid and cockpit, as he feels bleach also takes some of the resin and the gelcoat with it.
So for your mold stains, give that a try - its also great around the house.

Rigging - definitely bring down the mast. Taking a page from Scott "Islander's" book, two 2x4s, a few bolts, pipe nipples and make an A-frame.

This spring when I dropped my mast to replace the forestay (it was visibly bent near the head), I checked all the rigging, and found a few very loose cotter pins that could have spelled disaster. Except for the forestay, the swages and cables were all right thankfully.

Let me check the anchor light (replaced the fixture and LED bulb), fix the Windex and replace the sheaves. I rewired the VHF antenna, but didn't have to rewire the lights.

Good luck with your boat project. You should be sailing in a few weeks' time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  11:02:22  Show Profile
quote:

Curious if anyone out there has any secret remedy for the moldy growths that we get on the deck? I hit it with just water and scrub brush and gets most of it, but it still leaves some small filled spots in the antiskid.

This stuff works great! Can be found at WM too.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Non-Skid-Cleaner-Gallon/dp/B0000C6HOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406397606&sr=8-1&keywords=star+brite+deck+cleaner"]Deck Cleaner

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2014 :  06:21:33  Show Profile
Zep Pressure Washer concentrate is my go to for cleaning the decks. No need for a pressure washer just use a brush. Kills the black mold, Algae,Dirt,Bird poo,and Grease and makes it all white again. All for under $10. Makes up to 26gal.I put it in a spray bottle undiluted, Wet the deck and spray some on then brush it and rinse. http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-170-oz-All-in-One-Pressure-Wash-ZUPPWC160/202056508

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2014 :  08:03:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Zep Pressure Washer concentrate is my go to for cleaning the decks. No need for a pressure washer just use a brush. Kills the black mold, Algae,Dirt,Bird poo,and Grease and makes it all white again. All for under $10. Makes up to 26gal.I put it in a spray bottle undiluted, Wet the deck and spray some on then brush it and rinse. http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-170-oz-All-in-One-Pressure-Wash-ZUPPWC160/202056508

Zep also makes a mold and mildew cleaner already in a small spray bottle. It works really well also. Took the green mold right off my cabin top without scrubbing. Probably the same stuff as you mentioned just pre-diluted and in a spray bottle.

I'll get the pressure washer stuff you mentioned as it will make a lot more than what I have for about the same money.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John P
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
324 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  06:01:55  Show Profile  Visit John P's Homepage
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. Now I just need this angle to heal so I can get back up on deck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page