Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Swing Keel Trailer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jduck00
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/13/2014 :  14:06:19  Show Profile
Hey Fellows,

I'm need of some advice pictures of a swing keel trailer. I've basically just rebuilt my trailer. When I got the boat, the trailer had a couple of busted 1x6 boards running down the trailer that the keel was resting on. I replaced them with a 2x12. It sounded great until I pulled the boat out yesterday. The 2x12 wouldn't let the keel sit down low enough and the boat ended up sitting partially on the keel. I took the board out, while being in some very cold water, and let the keel sit on the trailer. Not a great solution, but it got me home.

I'm looking for some pictures of other trailers and how the keel rests on them. I'll be pulling the keel off for some work and have an opportunity to get it right this time.

Also, on another topic, the keel winch decided to fail while trying to load the boat. Added a whole new dynamic. We could only get the keel up half way before the clutch would slip. Had to float the boat down on top of the keel. Way too much time in the cold water for comfort. Guess I'll add a winch to the project list. It was long day, busted winch, 20knt winds, a very cold me, and a few more scrapes on the boat, but at least its on the trailer now. Florida bound in 8 weeks :)

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2014 :  15:21:18  Show Profile
FWIW, our former Trail-Rite trailer (for a former 1981 C25 SK) had a steel channel (running fore to aft) welded to the cross members. After the boat was on the trailer we would lower the keel a couple-three inches so it would rest on the channel. The channel had a 1/2-3/4" piece of plywood in the bottom of it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2014 :  15:37:21  Show Profile
Hey Duck -

I bet the water wasn't as cold as the CT lake I was wading in today. BTW, my waders leak too. As for the keel resting on the trailer cross member, I don't thin it is a problem. Mine rests on a piece of thick rubber and it does fine. The key is to let the keel rest freely so the boat can rest on the bunks. I have a roller trailer but it is the same concept. Catalina Direct sells the replacement winch and it isn't too much $$$. When was your lifting cable last changed? That should be done every three years or so. Maybe you should consider doing both soon. Best of luck with the SK.

Regards,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  18:16:53  Show Profile
I think I might just put some thick rubber on the frame and let that be the resting point for it. I'll take a good picture of it when I get back to the trailer on wed. It almost looks like its resting to far forward on the cross member its sitting on. I'll have to take a 2nd look at it. The cable is new (1 season in fresh water), the winch is old. I might go ahead an order a cable. Its bird nested like a fishing reel on the winch right now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2014 :  09:21:24  Show Profile
Had a very similar situation on my trailer. It's a modified powerboat trailer, and the first time I used it the boat was resting on the keel. I had placed a 2x8 between cross members and there was no room to lower the keel at all. I switched to a length of 3/4 x 8 plywood with angle iron down the sides for strength/rigidity. I also added a second 2x6 to each bunk to raise the boat another 1.5". Probably could have done one or the other, but it worked perfectly. I don't have a pic of the plywood, but here's a photo of the trailer w/boat taken a couple of weeks ago. Notice the visible gap between keel and hull.

Also, I had pulled the boat specifically to replace the cable and turning ball--after 13, yes 13, years. PO said he never raised the keel. The winch end of the cable was significantly splayed (perhaps like your bird nest). I could not get the ball out to save my life since I didn't have the right tools, and when I pulled the cable out, the splayed end jammed in the groove of the ball. Ended up having to force the cable back toward the winch then cut it off strand by strand to be able to pull it out. It was getting dark so I had to put the boat back in the slip without finishing the project. Round 2 in a couple of weeks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  13:27:59  Show Profile
My trailer has keel rollers:

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  20:37:09  Show Profile
Hi Jeremy,

Years ago I took a lot of photos and measurements for someone who was trying to set up a trailer for his swing keel C-25. I've had several hard drive failures since then, so I have lost the photos and the measurements ... 'sorry!

Nevertheless, I found these ... maybe you will find them useful:

It seems to me that the solution to your problem is to modify your trailer bunks so that your boat sits higher on your trailer. Once it is sitting higher, it is a fairly easy task to put a cross-member on your trailer, then lower the swing keel so that it butts up against it.

I hope that makes sense. Good luck with your project!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page