Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast step repair/replacement
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vipermagic
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/30/2014 :  11:28:18  Show Profile
Happy spring everybody!

At the end of last season, derigging my boat for the trip home wound up being one mess after another that resulted in the mast step being torn from the deck. Now its time to fix it.

Looking at the step, it seems two of the lag bolts holding it to the boat broke, one ripped through the bottom of the step, and one ripped out of the deck and got flung off into Lake Erie.

I was under the impression that, at some point, Catalina stopped lagging the mast step into the compression post, elongated the step, and through bolted it to the cabin top with a backing plate. Am I mistaken?

The gentlemen at Catalina Direct told me their mounting kit comes only with lag bolts, and based on that the new step they will sell me will lag into the compression post.

If lagging into the compression post is really the only option, I'm thinking I can weld and re-machine the one hole that pulled through, fill the holes in the boat and put the thing right back where it was, instead of buying a new step. This seems like it would be adequate to me, unless there is a reason to replace it with the same thing. Or, I can make a slightly longer one and through bolt it.

Anyone have any thoughts or helpful words for me? I'm leaning towards repairing what I have, currently.

Thanks!

79 C25 #1433 SR/FK - 'Carina' - Destroyed by Sandy
84 C25 #3817 TR/SK
Cleveland, OH

Edited by - on

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2014 :  13:27:09  Show Profile
If you have the means to repair the original mast step, that is what I would do. Not only would it be cheaper, My understanding is that the mast step holes were not accurately placed and vary from boat to boat. Reusing the original mast-step would ensure that everything lined up perfectly. just make a template before you weld to ensure the new hole is in the correct place when you drill through the repair.
Do you have to repair the top of the compression post, or just the deck? There isn't a lot of force on the mast step once the mast is up, but there is a LOT of force exerted on the mast step during raising/lowering, especially when the mast is just above horizontal. I think having the lag bolts going into the compression post is just as good as a larger. through-bolted plate, plus then there will not be extra hardware visible from below.
Now is your chance to beef up and really waterproof the deck in this area, good to go for another third of a century!
Cheers,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2014 :  15:23:11  Show Profile
FWIW, we have 2 flathead wood screws that go down into the post and at least 2 (if not 4) machine thread screws that are through bolted. We have a tall rig which has a different step plate than a standard rig.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2014 :  17:06:55  Show Profile
I'm not sure what plate you have now but I really liked the CD plate that you can hook all kinds of rigging to. I would use a new plate with the old holes and some new SS lag screws. I filled a stripped post hole with thickened epoxy and the new screw held good. I agree with trying to avoid any more fasteners protruding into the cabin.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2014 :  17:24:52  Show Profile
My boat is a 1990 cat 25 and I believe it has four bolts going through the deck plate with washers and stop nuts on the inside.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2014 :  18:17:17  Show Profile
VM -
The real question I'd have is what does the compression post look like? Is there any rot in the wood? I'd get a coat hanger, sharpen it and probe in the holes for softness. Or use a long thin bladed screwdriver. If there is any, you might have to drill it out with successively larger drills, then fill with thickened epoxy. Once hardened, drill a thin guide hole for lag bolts. Unless the post is completely gone, this will probably work out fine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2014 :  18:48:55  Show Profile
My 1985 mast step (now "Voyager" Bruce's), which I removed to put a mast base plate under for turning blocks, had two lag screws into the compression post, and two thru-bolts that were barely in the head compartment--tight enough to the bulkhead that the washers had to be tiny. The step had been extended slightly with a welded piece, I presumed by Catalina. Ordinarily, there would be no concern about upward pressure--just lateral... but the mast-dropping process, if not properly engineered, could cause an upward leverage problem--I never went there.

There's another technique for setting bolts in questionable material (like soft wood)... Drill or otherwise clear out a cavity that gives you solid surroundings (like your dentist does in a cavity in your tooth). Then coat a bolt or lag screw in hot (thin) liquid wax, or thin liquid parafin such that the threads are not filled in. Fill the hole with unthickened epoxy and immediately place the bolt into it--in this case using the mast step to position it and hold it in place. When the epoxy sets up, the bolt should be easy to back out. You then have a threaded epoxy hole, which should be much stronger than the material it replaced.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2014 :  22:01:09  Show Profile
There were six holes under my step when I replaced it, and my new step would match up with any <u>single</u> pair. Drilling stainless is no fun, but my tall rig now has 4 through bolts.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

vipermagic
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2014 :  16:05:51  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice, all! I've ordered a "mounting kit" from CD, and will be welding, milling, and generally abusing my mast step back into squareness this week. I'll try to take some pictures and report on my progress.

I think I only have to repair the deck? I'm not quite sure where the deck ends and the post begins. I plan on overdrilling and epoxy-filling wherever the old lags pulled through. There does not appear to be any rot in the wood, though I'll know better once I drill into it.

I'll admit I'm still a little skeptical that the mast step really won't slide out and bounce the rig off my head while being held in place with a little glue and 4 lag bolts... but I'll put my faith in the common knowledge and get it done! Thanks again, all.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2014 :  18:30:01  Show Profile
Once you get into it - what will need to be done becomes self evident.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page