Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Centerboard cluncking-New Pics Added
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CJRoxs
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/26/2014 :  22:54:46  Show Profile
http://s389.photobucket.com/user/CJRoxs08/media/IMG_0385_zps472de579.mp4.html

http://s389.photobucket.com/user/CJRoxs08/media/IMG_1149_zps97427b61.mp4.html

Edited by - CJRoxs on 04/22/2014 10:19:51

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2014 :  06:58:53  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Been there!

In our 2005 model, the CB pivot passed through a GFP sleeve. I had to re-secure the sleeve.
Our problem was the keel slapping when it was down (as shown in your video) and slapping when it was up (typically at anchor). The slapping would go on throughout the night.

Any idea how you are going to fix your clunker?

You might consider building a sleeve around the pivot pin while it's off the boat and then embedding the manufactured sleeve into the CB. The sleeve could be made from wraps of GFP (creating a loo-roll type insert).

If you have the same slapping when the keel is up, you might consider adding some starboard padding pieces to the sides of the keel box near the aft end.

At some time in the future, I will get JD off the trailer at home and work on the slap issue (again) and install the turning ball modification from SD.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CJRoxs
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2014 :  07:09:07  Show Profile
Yes, I'm going to pay the boat yard.

Seriously, they are glassing in the sleeve that CD sells and replacing the shaft. Then they are putting in the shim kit to, hopefully, prevent it from happening again. Also, bottom paint and touch up repairs.

Edited by - CJRoxs on 03/27/2014 07:09:46
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2014 :  09:05:43  Show Profile
While the yard is doing the work would it be possible to make photo's to share on this forum.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CJRoxs
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2014 :  12:14:35  Show Profile
Yes, I will post pics as I can get them. Obviously, not every day. Parts are on backorder so it may be a bit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2014 :  19:53:00  Show Profile
The shim kit from Catalina Direct works. I added a layer of resin over the top of the shims to help hold the discs in place. The first time I did it the included epoxy that holds the shims failed after one season although that could have been my error in blending the two-part. Got rid of all clunk. I also installed a stainless insert through the centerboard tube that I got from Catalina that has a turning ball machined into it that can be installed from inside the boat. Works well!
Willy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Gracefull Heeler
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  13:39:07  Show Profile
CJ, I was wondering how Lily is coming along with her keel repair. I live across the river from you and tried emailing you but it must not have worked.
I want to have the same repairs done on my C250wb as you are and was hoping to gleam from your experience with the local boat yard and CD with getting parts.
I know there are a lot of sailor's on this forum that would love to here more about your repairs. Successes and failures.

We've got a slip this season at Steamboat Landing Marina, up river of the 205 bridge.

Good luck on your repairs and perhaps we'll see you on the river.

PS: I have a trailer if you need a short haul and I would be glad to help you out. My boat is going in the water next month then the trailer is available.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CJRoxs
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2014 :  11:25:13  Show Profile
I do have pics and videos I will post soon. I've just been busy. I will try to post them tonight.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CJRoxs
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  21:39:30  Show Profile
CB pivot
[/URL]

Bolts to hold it on.
[/URL]

Assembled.
[/URL]

The rudder before the repair. (I didn't get an after picture)
[/URL]

CB well.
[/URL]

The rudder installed.
[/URL]

Turning Ball.
[/URL]

CB pulley.
[/URL]

Edited by - CJRoxs on 04/21/2014 21:53:52
Go to Top of Page

Gracefull Heeler
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2014 :  20:12:19  Show Profile
Thanks for the good photos. I bet your glad to see it going back together. I patched a small chip on my centerboard today. It must have hit the rear trailer frame when being retrieved.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CJRoxs
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2014 :  11:24:14  Show Profile
My next project will be the motor mount. I'm going to do a fixed mount with a 5 inch set back. I'm sik of my rudder hitting my prop.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Commodore
Russ Johnson

Members Avatar

USA
690 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2014 :  09:29:53  Show Profile
CJ,

This would make for a great article in the Catalina Mainsheet magazine.
Please send me an email if you are interested.

Russ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zebra50
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2014 :  16:03:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CJRoxs

My next project will be the motor mount. I'm going to do a fixed mount with a 5 inch set back. I'm sik of my rudder hitting my prop.

Have you tried an EZ Steer set up? It not only keeps the rudder from contact with the motor but really helps with the steering.
the ez steer bar is parallel when the rudder is full down

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2014 :  17:15:27  Show Profile

Thanks for posting the photo's... just wonder about the condition of your center board fiberglass immediately surrounding your new pin assembly

did the center board need any fiberglass repair work?
did you add any spacers on both sides of the center board?
are you adding shims to be glued to the trunk?

Edited by - zeil on 06/04/2014 17:34:55
Go to Top of Page

CJRoxs
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2014 :  06:17:14  Show Profile
Russ;

I don't think I have the time to do an article. Maybe in the future.

As for the E-Z steer, I thought about that. I did some additional checking and found that the PO didn't have the rudder at the proper angle. I corrected it and now the rudder doesn't hit the prop. I thought about the motor mount but have been using it as designed and I think I'm ok with it staying this way. I did have to play with it a bit but I feel if I know my boat I should be able to handle it. However, the jury is still out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SailAway
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2014 :  10:01:24  Show Profile
I feel the need to chime in on the keel clunk issue. My 1980 C22 had the clunking issue that I fixed by replacing the keel hangers machined to within .031 of the width of the keel and adding spacers to each side of it. My new to me 2002 C250 WB seems to have the clunking problem too. I slept on it for the first time this weekend and when it rocked from side to side, there it was. It kept me awake for half the night. The CB was in the up position so maybe it won't be as bad in the down position? I doubt it. It's just hard to believe that a boat that is 22 years newer would have the same clunking issue and that Catalina didn't know about it or design a better system. I hate to think about going through all that work again to get rid of the clunk.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page