Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 1978 c25 deck issue
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stang9150
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/24/2014 :  15:04:07  Show Profile

Can someone tell me what I have going on here? Is this the nonskid chipping, the gel coat or paint lifting up. This is happening a few places on the deck.Thanks

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2014 :  15:15:04  Show Profile
Step Back and give us better context. It looks like someone painted the deck from these shots. Where do you live and how long has the boat set in one place? How long have you had the boat? What do you know about its history?
This is what the nonskid looks like on most C 25s...

Edited by - pastmember on 02/24/2014 15:25:18
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2014 :  15:31:34  Show Profile
It has been painted, and the paint is peeling. I'd guess the paint is some kind of house paint, and not marine paint. From it's appearance, you can probably strip it fairly easily with a paint stripper that is designed for stripping paint off gelcoat. Don't use the stuff you get from Home Depot.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2014 :  15:35:26  Show Profile
Looking at the above picture I can see the pattern in the non skid matches with what I got going on. I was kind of leaning towards bad paint.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

LVjimmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2014 :  09:50:46  Show Profile
The non skid area on my '81 C25 is blue. Does that mean it has been painted or did some of them come in two tone?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2014 :  10:14:01  Show Profile
Yes the 70s really did happen, I was there.
Yes they made two tone decks for a while.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2014 :  10:48:50  Show Profile
Just take the paint off and clean the deck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2014 :  12:11:06  Show Profile
...and take that as a lesson on why not to paint a fiberglass boat if you can avoid it. Even a "marine" paint will likely make you regret it. There are exceptions--the real basket-cases...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  09:58:54  Show Profile
I thought about using some gelcoat safe stripper as mentioned above to remove the paint.The problem is I think this will not turn out well doing it in the water at the slip.I think I will just leave it be until I can pull the boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  10:17:08  Show Profile
Good plan. Stripping in the water would wood be very bad for our favorite environment.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kc5dlo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  13:10:21  Show Profile
A power washer might remove it if the whole deck looks like the pics.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/05/2014 :  16:34:38  Show Profile
No the whole deck does not look like this. I have maybe 4 or 5 bad spots.Being this is my first boat I dont have a whole lot of money wrapped up in it,So I think I will just sail it and enjoy it and worry about the deck when I get to it. The big project now is the leaking windows I have and I want to redo the chain plate bedding.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2014 :  10:38:12  Show Profile
I always have a boomtent on my cabin top when I am not sailing. NO water can get past it so window leaks become something you can deal with when you are ready or not at all. The cover also keeps bugs out as well as blowing rain that get in around the companionway hatchboards.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2014 :  14:15:49  Show Profile
Worked on one area where I had some lose paint coming up on the Deck. I don't know if I should just paint over this or maybe use kiwi grip and try that out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2014 :  07:43:36  Show Profile
I think it's too early to decide how to proceed. The gel coat that has been uncovered so far looks fairly good, but there might be an area that is still concealed that has been repaired and that can only be made to look good by painting over it. I would suggest deciding what to do after it has all been removed. The best result would be if the original gel coat can be cleaned well enough to look decent. If not, then paint it.

The part that has been stripped still has a residue. I would apply another coat of stripper and let it work for an hour or so, and then wash it off before it dries, to see if it will remove some of that residue. I'd use a stiff bristle brush to get into the non skid, and wear a bunny suit and goggles, because it'll be really messy.

If you decide that you have to repaint it, then you need to decide what kind of paint to use. If the non skid is deteriorated, then Kiwi Grip would be a good choice, because Kiwi Grip not only covers the area with paint, but it also has a gritty texture that restores a non skid surface. If the non skid is still in good condition, then Kiwi Grip would not be the best choice. In that case, all you need is a good topside paint. Interlux and Petit make good topside paints. There are two basic types of topside paints - one part and two part epoxy paints. The two part paints are the most durable, but they must be applied with more skillful technique. Both types will leave it looking very nice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2014 :  09:49:20  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips on the paint types. I did not use any type of chemical stripper on this, just 20 minutes with a razor blade to clear that section off. I was going to use this as a test area.The area seems to still have a texture non skid feel to it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kiko
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2014 :  09:55:10  Show Profile  Visit kiko's Homepage
My deck was blue also, I just sanded it and painted the entire deck with Kiwi grip.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page