Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Safety netting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrKawfey
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/02/2013 :  09:21:27  Show Profile
So this year will be the first year we will be taking our son out on the boat.

Last year I bought some safety netting to run around the stanchions and lifelines (like some other boats in our club) but realized I have no way to anchor the bottom of the net. Everyone else who uses these has a toe-rail with holes to tie the net to.

Has anyone here installed netting like this and if so can you offer some ideas on how to do it?

Our boat is an '84 so it has the genoa track outside the stanchions the length of the deck.

One idea I had was to run a length of nylon webbing around the perimeter of the deck, woven through the netting base, and then tension it with a ratchet strap buckle.

Also, if anyone has added the netting to your boat, how do you run the jib sheets and blocks?

Thanks

Chris
Sacandaga Lake, NY
1984 C25 SRSK
"Les's Moor"

Edited by - on

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2013 :  22:35:00  Show Profile
My Pearson came with such netting and doesn't have a perforated toe rail (it has a solid teak one, which functionally is the same as on a Catalina, but requires more maintenance).

They had run larger line along the bottom of the stern pulpit and stanchions under high tension. The netting was secured to this with another line.

I don't know how the previous owners sailed my boat with the netting there, it also made it impossible to properly use the winches.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2013 :  03:39:22  Show Profile
LOVE the picture! Use the reinforcing loops at the base of each stanchion to keep the line down, and use a perimeter line as you mentioned. Should work great. Anyone ever try using a tether as addiitonal security for a child?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2013 :  11:21:37  Show Profile
Thanks for the feedback, I think I am going to rig it up like that and see what happens. Sometimes it's just not worth it to spend tons of time planning, sometimes it's easier just to try it and see what happens. The goal is to get a full 360 degrees of coverage around the boat. The bow pulpit with the roller furling will be interesting and figuring out the lifeline gates will take some doing too. I am surprised that there is so little information out there (including this site) on how to do this modification.

Anyone know of cheap clips that attach to the t-track?

Edited by - MrKawfey on 06/03/2013 11:22:10
Go to Top of Page

John P
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
324 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  11:48:18  Show Profile  Visit John P's Homepage
I am resurrecting this post, as I am curious how it turned out. I am hoping to get my '84 back in the water this year after an 8 year hiatus and 2 new kids (2 and 5).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  11:36:38  Show Profile
Well, not much to report. We had another baby which further diminished my ability to finish projects or get out and sail. As of right now I found a supplier on Amazon that had 1 inch webbing in white that was the right thickness and I bought 100 feet. I had already purchased the netting.

So the plan, at least for the moment, is to rig it this summer while it's on the trailer. Along with other projects. I intend to snake the webbing through the stantions and use the buckle from a ratchet strap to tension it. I will have to play around with the openings and Iwish that the forestay and furler were up, but we'll do our best.

I still have yet to get any good info on how to deal with the genny and sheets.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  17:31:08  Show Profile
From a purely philosophical point of view, safety netting could well be like the Emperor's New Clothes, and a placebo. We raised two kids on our boats and both are still alive without the netting.

Your boat, your choice, but I've found it's more of a visual distraction and won't stop anyone going overboard.

The concept should simply be to teach the little ones how to NOT get in a position where they could go off. Like: one hand for yourself, one for the ship; tethers if they don't listen, more "parenting" if they don't listen to you...

I know some may completely disagree with me on this, but those are the two options.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John P
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
324 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  17:39:57  Show Profile  Visit John P's Homepage
growing up on sail and power boats, I agree totally....

Unfortunately, the admiral did not grow up on the water, so I find myself having to appease her as well. Time will tell.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  18:06:55  Show Profile
Sigh...I happen to agree as well...but, just like John, the admiral is calling the shots on this one. Hopefully after a summer of me and the 3 year old on the sunfish she will relax a bit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  18:08:14  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I haven't mentioned the sunfish to the admiral yet...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  18:11:48  Show Profile

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  18:18:01  Show Profile

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2014 :  05:19:43  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
ive got some netting i never installed. ADM wanted it on the boat, but when I got around to installing I found I'd rather go sailing than the work, so I never put it on. kids are used to boat, although she hold her breath whenever they move. anyone want to buy it? I think I have 60 ft, have to measure.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John P
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
324 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2014 :  05:32:45  Show Profile  Visit John P's Homepage
I might be interested....What is the color, length,height and opening size?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2014 :  19:02:14  Show Profile
I used netting on my Merit 25 which had an aluminum toe rail. It did make me feel better about my kids but I was using a foil on the forestay and it was really to keep the sail on the deck when I dropped it at the mark.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2014 :  19:58:14  Show Profile
Nice pic, except I'm not a fan of blue for PFDs, either wearable or throwable. It annoys me when WM sells sets of them.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page