Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Lost Capri25 in Superstorm Sandy, Have stuff!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nightswimmer
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/03/2012 :  18:22:11  Show Profile
My 1982 Capri 25 was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy along with all of the 30 other boats stored in our yard at Raritan Yacht Club in Perth Amboy, New Jersey. All of the boats floated off of their jack stands in 8+ feet of storm surge. They then crashed into out lower buildings (lockers, bathrooms, shops, reducing them to rubble. The good news is the club will rebuild, the bad news is my boat was literally crushed to pieces, and nothing on board was salvageable. But I did have a few things at home which I would like to offer for sale. Please send me reasonable offers (I have photos of everything described below):

1. Full set of interior cushions, 4 inch foam covered in a dark green Sunbrella fabric. I made these about six years ago. I am not an upholsterer, and I am not claiming these are artfully crafted, but they fit the boat nicely, they are really comfortable, and they will make your interior look very nice. There are five cushions to form the V-Berth. This means you can use your porta-potty without ripping apart your whole boat. The center cushion has a notch to fit around the bulkhead post. There are 4 cushions for the settees, so again you can get to your storage compartments without removing cushions. These have lived in my storage room in my house more than they have on the boat (only one full season on board); so they are in reasonably good shape. They have zippers so you can remove and wash the covers, but the zippers are completely hidden from view when the cushions are installed on the boat. The zippers are not beautifully sewn in, but nobody will see them.
2. Quantum Pentax Main – This is an excellent racing main, and it has been used literally three or four times, probably less than 10 sailed miles! I bought this main from a couple who had bought it from Quantum and used it one time. Unfortunately the gentleman became ill and was forced to leave the sport. I bought the sail, used it in one Wednesday night race, and lent the boat to a friend for a double handed race. It has never been flaked (it was even shipped to me rolled). It had one mouse hole which I had professionally repaired by John Eggers sailmakers. This is a race-ready sail.
3. I lost three sails on board in the storm, but had a bunch of others here at my house. I have not had a chance to inventory them all, but I know for a fact I have one Kevlar genoa which is in serviceable condition. It isn’t crispy and new like the Quantum Main, but it certainly would be a good practice jib.
4. I definitely have a couple of Dacron mains, and I have a nice Haarstick blade which is still race-able (in my opinion), so let me know what you are looking for.
5. Headstay. I broke my headstay in the middle of last season and had a new one built. I used the boat three times after that. So if you want a basically brand-new headstay with a #5 track tuff-luff, this is your lucky day.

Thanks,
Ethan

caprisailor

Edited by - on

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2012 :  20:06:30  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Boy I am really sorry you lost your boat. Not really sure how I'd take the same if I were in your shoes. That being said I don't think you'll have any problem selling off what you had left.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

nightswimmer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2012 :  08:00:45  Show Profile
Thanks Shnool, it was really sad to see all of our boats crushed like that. But, I keep thinking that if you were lucky enough to have a boat in that yard, lifes been pretty good to you. There is a lot of devastation around here. I will miss the boat, it was a good one. Hopefully this stuff can go to people who need it.

Thanks,
Ethan

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

usa 63
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2012 :  08:13:07  Show Profile
Very intrested in the main and blade and maybe a few other things can you email me at Nick.cumbie@gmail.com

Thanks

Nick

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Fleet
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
151 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2012 :  08:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Fleet's Homepage
Ethan,

I'm interested in any genoa in the 100% to 135% size.

Fleet

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

abraxis
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
49 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2012 :  08:09:43  Show Profile
So sorry for your loss.

I may be interested in your blade.

ABRAXIS

sumfun1944@verizon.net

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GrapeTX
1st Mate

Members Avatar

28 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2012 :  21:10:20  Show Profile
I hope all is going as well as it can be for the situation up there. If you have a 150 and 100 in decent condition I am interested.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

The Other Clark
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 12/31/2012 :  12:06:40  Show Profile
So sorry to hear about your boat. I'd like to buy the headstay/foil if it's still available. Reply via forum or email me direct at clark@icfmag.com.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2013 :  15:48:24  Show Profile
I went through the same thing in the "perfect storm" during the 90's -- only mine was a Bristol Corinthian. There is nothing worse than seeing an old friend destroyed in such a way. I hope you find a new, equally wonderful vessel that brings you joy!

Best . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

The Other Clark
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2013 :  15:49:19  Show Profile
Forestay/foil sold!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

nightswimmer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 01/25/2013 :  12:54:22  Show Profile
Just an update. I have now sold the blade and genoa in one transaction and the headstay in another. I have some old dacron mains if anyone is interested--$150.

The good Quantum Pentax Main is available. I am asking $1250 for that one, see original post for description and info. That is a race-ready sail in close to new condition.

I still have the interior cushions, make me an offer, I was thinking $750.

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind words.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

abraxis
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
49 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2013 :  19:07:10  Show Profile
Do you have winches available, and what size?

ABRAXIS
sumfun1944@verizon.net

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2013 :  16:35:14  Show Profile
Is the Capri 25 Main cut the same as the C25's? If so, there was someone on theC25 forum looking for a Main.

FYI,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

nightswimmer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2013 :  07:52:26  Show Profile
The Quantum Mainsail and the interior cushions are still available. First $1000 on the sail, and the first $500 on the cushions takes them. You pay shipping, but I will do the legwork to pack and ship them.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
Ethan

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page