Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 possible water in rudder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cat25
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/31/2022 :  08:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might have some water at the bottom of my rudder. I used a moisture meter, not a marine one and it registered high.
What is the opinion of drilling a hole near the bottom? then I figured I will epoxy it closed later on. thanks for any ideas.

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2022 :  09:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link that discusses the subject. https://www.sailnet.com/threads/draining-water-from-rudder.105245/#post-1113623

Some considerations that are relevant include how the rudder is constructed (i.e., what is its coring material - plywood, foam, etc.?), How long has the problem existed? Long enough to damage the coring? If your rudder is solid HDPE, it can't have water inside it. Is the shape of the rudder distorted, such as large bumps on it? Is there any visible damage to the rudder that might have admitted water inside it?

If there's only a high moisture reading with no other indications of problems, I think I'd suggest you store the rudder in a warm place for the winter, perhaps near your furnace or water heater. Check the moisture again in the spring. If it's dry, paint it with barrier paint and forget about it. If it's still wet, I'd paint it with barrier paint and plan on drilling and draining it next winter.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2022 :  21:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe (but am not certain) that the original rudder on a 1990 model is a foam-cored fiberglass shell--I bought what I believe was the same rudder around 1991 from Catalina Direct, who I think was using the same source as Catalina (when they were dropping production of the C-25). Any moisture that finds its way through the bolt holes for the pintles or tiller over the years will probably migrate to the bottom of the blade, but if you keep it from freezing, it shouldn't do any damage. Freezing could conceivably split the two sides of the shell apart, creating a crack down the middle of the forward edge.--the aft edge is more tapered and probably has very little core. (Incidentally, direct sun on bottom paint on the blade has been known to cause the foam to swell and split the sides apart. That's another reason to store the rudder inside when the boat is on the hard.)

Just a wild-hare idea: Turn the rudder upside-down and see if some of the water seeps out around the tiller bolt. It might take a while...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/01/2022 21:24:02
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2022 :  21:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, I noticed that your boat is a newer model with a wing keel. Nice!
I’m in CT and often kayak and fish in Squantz Pond.
Where on Candlewood do you moor your boat? Danbury, New Fairfield, New Milford, Sherman or Squantz Cove?
You’re a braver man than I, the ski boats and the stinkpotters would make any outing there quite unpleasant…

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page