Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 1980 C25 Manual Bilge Pump
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

captnamo
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/18/2021 :  14:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahoy, mates! I have a 1980 C-25, Fin Keel, L-shape setee. I must confess up front that I love to sail, but I hate boat repairs. So, consider me newer than a newbie when you reply.

Our manual bilge pump stopped working. It is connected to what looks like green reinforced over-sized garden hose that is very stiff. Mounted to the cockpit wall, inside the port cockpit locker internally. Externally, it has an oblong slot with a plastic cover which allows the removable handle to be pumped fore and aft. Therefore, I suspect it could be original equipment.

The boat spends off-season on the hard outside through west Michigan winters.

Wondering if anyone here has repaired or replaced their manual bilge pump and hoses. Can you suggest troubleshooting steps? What kind of hose should I look for and where would I look to find it? Any other hints or tips?

Thanks in advance!

--Steve N.

'80 C25 "Serenity" #1746 FK Muskegon, MI

Never approach the dock faster than you want to hit it.

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2021 :  05:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The manual bilge pump on my 1981 C25 was a Whale Gusher, and I expect yours is the same. A good working Whale Gusher is a fine pump, currently costing well over $200. It's only drawback seems to be that it's made of aluminum, and it can be corroded and degraded by the marine environment, especially salt water.

It's generally very easy to rebuild, if it isn't corroded badly. I suggest you take it apart and examine it before you decide what to do with it. If it looks good, buy a rebuild kit. If not, buy a less expensive plastic replacement.

Here's a link to a short video showing how to rebuild it. https://youtu.be/yGwOnDN5BZw

Best price I can find for the rebuild kit is from Defender. Go to Defender's website and search for "Whale Gusher Pump MK 10 Service Kit" (I tried to provide a link to the product, but the link failed.)

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 03/19/2021 06:04:18
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2021 :  10:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are going to buy the repair kit from Defender, now is the time to do it while they have their annual "Virtual" Warehouse Sale (ends 3/28)

I must confess having a 1980 boat this is a project I need to do but keep putting off. I considered replacing the pump but the mounting of the current version is quite different from what I have. Still, the Gusher is a solid pump and should go through the rebuild and be good as new.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2021 :  11:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember there were 2 gusher pumps. A 400 and a 500. The difference was the 400 had 4 screws that held the flange that the hose connected to and the 500 had 6. Also the 400 fit a 1 in. hose and the 500 fit a 1.5 in. hose. Check the search cuz I could be wrong about the hose sizes.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2021 :  12:38:04  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
captnamo,

I have a 1979 Catalina 25.  I replaced the original manual bilge pump with a Gusher 500.  Here's a photo of the newer pump, and the two installation cutouts.

Black rectangular thing in lower left is the Gusher 500 cover.  Above it is the new cutout.  New pump handle cycles vertically, slides off for storage.  White string on handle is a leash.  Handle stores conveniently in the drain gutter under the fwd edge of port cockpit locker lid.

For hoses, I use 1-1/2" spiral reinforced with a smooth bore.  Intake hose goes to a strum box in the bilge a foot or so aft and stbd of the mast compression post.  Discharge hose goes to a through-hull high in the port cockpit locker, just inboard of the outboard engine mount.

I seem to recall there being more than one version/configuration for some Gusher pumps, so be alert for those details if you order one.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

captnamo
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2021 :  23:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input everyone! As I said, I hate boat repairs so I don't like the thought of any cutting for a new pump. But, Leon, the picture is helpful in case I have to. Also like the positioning closer to the locker cover. Much easier to reach for repairs! I have shimmied my 6' 4" frame into that locker, but it's not my favorite thing to do.

Thanks, Islander, I did find the thread that talked about the two models and showed pics of the flanges. I like the drone pics of Impulse in action!

Bigelowp, thanks for the heads up on the sale. Yeah, we sailed last year without it functioning, too.

Steve Milby, do you think the MK 10 kit will fit whatever ancient model of Gusher my boat may have?

--Steve N.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2021 :  07:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captnamo

Steve Milby, do you think the MK 10 kit will fit whatever ancient model of Gusher my boat may have?

Check the labels on your pump. I can't be sure for a variety of reasons, but the Mk 10 kit provides parts that fit a couple versions of the pump. When you take your pump apart, you can compare it's parts with the photos of the kit. After you do all you can to assure yourself that it's the correct kit, you can also call the seller's customer service line and they might be able to help too. If you're wrong, the worst result is that you'll have to pay for return shipping. I'd take that risk, but you have to make your own choice.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

captnamo
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2021 :  09:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, Steve. Good advice!

--Steve N.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2021 :  14:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a Bosworth/Whale Guzzler pump like what is in Leon's picture above you just have to determine if you have a 400 or a 500. Just look at the inlet and outlet hose fittings that are screwed to the ends of the pump. If there are 4 screws then it is a 400. If there are 6 screws then it is a 500. Both repair kits are here at West Marine. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/bosworth--service-kits-for-guzzler-400-500-hand-operated-diaphragm-pumps--P011_330_004_504

The hose end fittings look similar to these. The upper one has 4 screws (400) and the lower one has 6 screws (500)

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/20/2021 14:11:22
Go to Top of Page

captnamo
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2021 :  13:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally shimmied into the port storage area and removed the bilge pump. I am the proud owner of the Guzzler 400! My model was made by the original manufacturer, but Bosworth took over the product and has replacement parts as well.

It really helps to see an exploded diagram as to how this thing is goes together (and will come apart). Boosted my confidence a bit!!! See https://www.thebosworthco.com/products/replacement.php .

I thought the flappers were mounted to the inside of the pump body, but it looks like they're on the outside between the pump body and the inlet, outlet pieces. And those are the parts that seem a little flaky.

I'll order a rebuild kit and let you know what happens. Thanks again for all the input.

--Steve N.

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2021 :  14:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a most useful thread. I must admit, my boat has a similar pump configuration as the opening on the right side of leon's picture. I dread cutting and covering various openings in the cockpit. My plan is to remove old pump, see if I can refurbish it with a repair kit, if not, then (groan) replace with a 400 or 500 pump.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

captnamo
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2021 :  14:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Success!!! Found that the company that took over the Guzzler 400 pump is The Bosworth Company.
Exploded parts list here: https://www.thebosworthco.com/products/replacement.php

I ordered the pump service kit which included both the diaphragm and the flappers SKU G400SK (Buna): https://www.thebosworthco.com/products/producta.php?mask=1-1&baseid=SK-N4N0X

I'm allergic to home improvement projects and boat repairs, but I even found this a pretty straight forward rebuild. Finding the parts list helped a lot with visualizing how things fit together. Thanks again everyone for your help and encouragement!

--Steve N.

Go to Top of Page

captnamo
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2021 :  14:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bigelowp -- Yes, mine was the same and rebuild was a success. Don't know if all the holes will line up, but The Bosworth Company also makes a replacement pump and could possibly fit the same space. I sent you an email- via the forum.

--Steve N.

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2021 :  09:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve: Thanks, got it!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page