Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bathroom and sink small windows on the C-25
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stanirish
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/06/2021 :  16:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replacing the 6 windows on my C-25. Got the windows out fairly easily
and the windows on the 4 larger ones slide out of their frames with a good pull but can't figure out how to remove the windows from the 2 smaller ones.
The screws and small plate come out fine and I've clean out most of the old sealant gunch around the edges but the frame doesn't seem to spread enough to pull out the window. There are only two screws to remove?? Brute strength needed or more brains? Advice helpful...

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2021 :  17:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't had my head compartment portlights out, but if they're put together like the four larger ones, with the little aluminum plates with two screws holding the upper and lower halves of the outer frame together, then after removing those screws, the frame should separate when pulled apart in the vertical direction.  How much pull is needed would depend upon how firmly the gasket and sealant are holding on.

If you're replacing the original aluminum frame windows with something else, then please try to save the parts you're removing, especially the tempered glass.  Those of us who still have those old style windows would be grateful for the spares!

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

stanirish
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2021 :  09:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leon,
I've got a 1981 Catalina 25 and the all the windows have only one set of screws; the larger windows have the 2 screws on one end and when unscrewed the frame pulls apart enough to have the window pull out but on the smaller porthole windows there is a set of 2 screws in the mid section on just one side. I can't figure out how to pull the frame apart enough to slide the window out. Could it be for this model, the 1981, the smaller porthole window just can only be replaced with new ones?
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2021 :  10:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
can't figure out how to remove the windows from the 2 smaller ones.

I think Catalina used different brands and size windows through the years. Lewmar, Beckson, Bomar. Both of my small windows can be opened. So if yours are fixed closed then they are different. You will have to identify your make and model and hope someone with the same window has taken it apart. Anyway here is the windows used on a C25 from CD https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/374/hatches--ports.htm

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

stanirish
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2021 :  11:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Islander, Thanks for the references.
I don't think mine are fixed closed, not sure, but the fact that there are 2 screws and plate seems to point to the frame opening up?

You said both of your small windows can be opened. Do they have the same configuration; that is, 2 screws mid section on just one side?
Go to Top of Page

stanirish
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2021 :  12:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem solved!!
I went back at it prying out more orangey glue/sealant and found approx 8 1" gray spacers embedded underneath the glue positioned evenly around the inner frame. Took an hour or so but with the glue and spacers pried out (with a small pointy steak knife, love those things) there was more room to slide out the glass. Not sure why the larger windows weren't nearly as difficult; maybe a previous owner did a repair...thanks for the suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2021 :  13:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI if you need older parts for Catalina's (or any other sail or power boat) MassMarine Parts in Quincy MA is quite a source. They part out boats and currently have six (6) sets of C-25 windows, as well as sails, winches, hatches, etc. Quite a find, nice guy running it and they ship all over North America. Parts will not necessarily be pristine like new, but when you need a part the price is right.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page