Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Mooring a 250 WB Boat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Critical Path
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/23/2021 :  14:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have yet to find the 250 WB that I want, so trying to address all the issues with this ballast has still not left me comfortable with how this boat will be utilized.

We live in a low tide mooring and access to the Gulf here in Florida. We are not trailer sailors, so periodically emptying this ballast or leaving the ballast water in the boat must create some issues down the road?

In addition, I have read enough hoarer stories regarding ballast leaks and the cost to repair.

While moored, is there a way to dump the ballast? I'm assuming, since Catalina Support said it is not a boat to be left in the water, that all I need to do is be able to bump the ballast at the end of the sailing day while the boat remains at the mooring. Appears that leaving the ballast full when not sailing has become a leak issue to those in the past.

Any thoughts other than dealing with the Cat 25SK 32" Draft or the 22SK 24" Draft that is absolutely to small.

JM

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2021 :  19:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you missed this...
quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

I'm a little concerned that floating a C250WB with empty ballast tank would be a little like trying to float a rubber duckie upside down. Center of gravity would be way too high. These boats are already known to hunt around at anchor, and with the centerboard up that would be even worse, so you'd likely get a side wind against the mast which could flip her over. No ballast means no righting moment.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2021 :  07:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much draft is acceptable for your situation? Many boaters have to plan their outings based on their tide tables.

The C-25 raised swing keel is indeed deeper than the raised C-250 centerboard, but you could throw the newer C-25 wing into the mix--it draws only 2" more than the raised swing keel, and eliminates some maintenance issues. It won't quite outrun a swinger to windward, but it sails well and has more headroom below.

I won't speculate on leaving the tank empty, although at a boat show, I was on a C-250WB that felt "strange" and commented to the rep, who said he had chosen to leave the tank empty. I don't know what it would've taken to capsize it, but it was apparently more than my weight... (The righting moment is certainly reduced, but there still is some from the hull form and weight. Our round-bottom daysailer had no ballast whatsoever, and stayed upright against high winds on the beam in her slip.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/24/2021 07:53:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page