Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Backing plate when replacing motor mount?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AJN77
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/23/2021 :  09:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting ready to replace the original motor mount with a 4 spring model. For anyone who has upgraded the mount, did you install backing plates inside the quarterberth, or is it unnecessary?

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2021 :  09:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a week's worth of reading on this subject (which has come up "a few times"), try our Search function (top-right), looking for the words "bracket mount backing" in Catalina Specific Forum, Entire Message, including Archived Posts. You'll also see discussions of "fronting plates" (on the outside of the transom), which for heavy 4-strokes might be more important.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/23/2021 10:20:48
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2021 :  17:04:05  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whether a backing plate or front plate outside of transom or both, it is adding some stiffening/reinforcement to the transom. In my case, I added Starboard to the outside of the transom and I had purchased a steel reinforcement plate that I was going to add to the inside but it did not fit/holes did not align and so giving it some thought, I did not put any reinforcement inside the quarterberth. I did the install about 15 years ago and transom has not bowed out or any ill effects noted. The install is detailed on my website.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2021 :  23:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fender washers inside are probably sufficient, but if you wish to go further, I'll suggest the upper bolts are the issue. The leverage of the motor (in forward gear) pushes in on the bottom of the bracket and actually pulls out somewhat on the top. In Reverse, I suspect the pull of the bracket is more equal between top and bottom. For my 108 lb. Honda, I added a small backing plate for the two top bracket bolts inside, and (I believe) used fender washers below. I made a "fronting" plate for the outside from Starboard, which may have made the rest unnecessary. But I suspected that heavy, high-thrust, XL shaft motor probably might put more stresses on the transom than Catalina anticipated, especially if I thought I might hit a dock. (As I've said, it could stop the boat as if it had run into a small pillow.)

Using a material like Starboard or plywood on the inside, round the edges and corners a little to reduce point-pressure against the slightly concave surface of the liner.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/26/2021 23:20:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page