Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 New floor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NCBrew
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/02/2021 :  08:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1998 250 WK.
I would like to cover the floor with wood of some kind.
I see newer boats have a wooden floor.
Is there any laminate floors that will work?

1998 Catalina 250WK
Ravaging
Albemarle Sound,NC

I spent most of my money on boats and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2021 :  09:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought about that too, but decided against it. I started thinking about the "what ifs." What if the boat leaks water inside and ruins the floor's finish? Do I really want to have to sand it and refinish it? What if the adhesive softens in the summer heat and the floor starts to come loose? My C&C 35 has a teak sole, and it's nearing the time when it will need refinishing, and I'm not looking forward to it.

I decided long ago that the more functional approach is to use small throw rugs or runners. I like the looks of oriental or Persian rugs on a boat. They feel soft and warm under your feet and you can usually just shake them outside to clean them. Even without a rubber backing they don't seem to slide much when under way unless it's really vigorous, in which case I just toss them out of the way until I get back to the slip. I try not to spend too much on them, so I will feel free to dispose of them if they start to get musty or soiled.

Once you glue planking to your cabin sole, if you later decide it was a mistake, the cleanup of the adhesive would be very difficult. My suggestion is that you consider alternatives.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2021 :  10:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On "This Side Up" I would go to the local carpet remnant store and buy an appropriate colored piece (usually 4' x 12') for about $10, and cut it to fit. I never had a problem with it sliding underfoot. After a couple of years I would replace it and use the old one as a template for the new.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2021 :  12:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a C25 that has a cabin sole with lower areas (near the galley and in the head) and has a curved surface by design, so in my case it would not be practical to try to glue down any rigid flooring. Is the cabin sole in a C250 flat and level?

When I originally acquired Passage it came with a nice runner-style rug, reminiscent of an oriental rug, that was trimmed to fit the cabin sole. While the rug is no more, I saved the pattern using some cardboard so I could replace it.

When I replace it I’ll look for a remnant or indoor-outdoor carpet. The rubber rug backing material will prevent slips.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2021 :  12:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at flooring I see these interlocking panels that might be handy on a boat.

https://www.amazon.com/V488-Interlocking-Plantation-Hardwood-10-Pack/dp/B003BEERZQ/ref=asc_df_B003BEERZQ/

I wonder whether you could trim these to fit somehow?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2021 :  12:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other thought - I recently bought two of the thick foam backed rugs that are primarily made to use in front of your kitchen sink. They're very soft and feel nice under your feet. I have one in my saloon and one where I step out of my bunk. Some of them have garish designs, but I bought two in a plain blue green color that looks good with my upholstery.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

NCBrew
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2021 :  16:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

On "This Side Up" I would go to the local carpet remnant store and buy an appropriate colored piece (usually 4' x 12') for about $10, and cut it to fit. I never had a problem with it sliding underfoot. After a couple of years I would replace it and use the old one as a template for the new.

That is a terrific idea.

Thanks

1998 Catalina 250WK
Ravaging
Albemarle Sound,NC

Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2021 :  05:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NCBrew

I have a 1998 250 WK.

Have you looked into the SeaDek type flooring? I found some on amazon and replaced the laminate in my Capri 25 with it. Non-skid, easy on barefoot, water proof, easy to cut and trim, and peal and stick to install. Seadek is just one brand, you can find the same type of flooring in many colors and designs.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL

Edited by - TCurran on 01/03/2021 05:20:38
Go to Top of Page

NCBrew
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2021 :  08:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TCurran

quote:
Originally posted by NCBrew

I have a 1998 250 WK.

Have you looked into the SeaDek type flooring? I found some on amazon and replaced the laminate in my Capri 25 with it. Non-skid, easy on barefoot, water proof, easy to cut and trim, and peal and stick to install. Seadek is just one brand, you can find the same type of flooring in many colors and designs.

I have thought of SeaDek. I put it on my kayak. How did you measure it and install it. Any hints
Thanks

1998 Catalina 250WK
Ravaging
Albemarle Sound,NC

Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 01/04/2021 :  08:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]
[/quote]
I have thought of SeaDek. I put it on my kayak. How did you measure it and install it. Any hints
Thanks

[/quote]

had the old laminate as a template and used a new razor to cut it. The peal and stick was pretty easy, you just have to take your time. I installed it over gelcoat, I just really cleaned the surface and then a good rubbing with alcohol. I was lucky and didn't need to bevel an edge.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

NCBrew
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Response Posted - 01/04/2021 :  18:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TCurran

[/quote]
Thanks

[/quote]

had the old laminate as a template and used a new razor to cut it. The peal and stick was pretty easy, you just have to take your time. I installed it over gelcoat, I just really cleaned the surface and then a good rubbing with alcohol. I was lucky and didn't need to bevel an edge.
[/quote]
I bought some carpeting at Lowes.
Installed it and it looks good.

1998 Catalina 250WK
Ravaging
Albemarle Sound,NC

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page