Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Outboard HP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SailTowery
1st Mate

Member Avatar

74 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/17/2020 :  07:54:02  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had it with my 5HP Mercury. I've spent $800 over 3 years trying to get it running properly and it still gives me problems. I need to buy something else.

What is the lowest HP anyone would recommend for our Capri 25's? Will a 3.5HP cut it?

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
https://www.facebook.com/capri25littlewing/

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
590 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2020 :  08:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben - I have the Honda 2.3 (the long shaft, 20" i think), it pushes DD pretty well, even with a crew of five guys (three of with are fat a$$es) but I have no tides to deal with and I'm not usually out if the winds pipe up too high. It's air cooled and a little noisy but you're on a lake so you're not worrying about flushing the salt out of the cooling system. The centrifugal clutch takes a minute to get use to, but over all I am very happy with it and glad I bought it.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #110 "Dirty Debbie"
1985 Watkins 25 "Comfortably Numb"
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2020 :  08:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same motor as Tom and use it in similar situations. I would not trust the motor in strong tides or high wind conditions, but for my needs of getting the boat from my slip to the open water it works great and it is light enough to take off on the water and stow below for serious competition. If I recall there is a one design requirement for the outboard to be able to drive the boat to 5 knots. This motor will do that in calm water and no wind at full throttle but not in stiffer conditions. Also it has no reverse, you have to spin the motor to reverse, which is a nuisance in tight maneuvers, but manageable. Since I'm not racing the Capri anymore, I'd probably go for the next size up motor that has a reverse just for convenience if I was purchasing another motor.
Hope that helps.

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

74 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2020 :  12:02:10  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

The wind can howl at our lake. But getting in and out of the marina is all I really need. Reverse on our boats is more trouble than it's worth. We usually avoid it. The OD rules do state the 5 knot requirement. I'll need that since we're planing on Star of North at WYC in 2021. I like the idea of the 2.3 Honda because it's light and small.

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
Go to Top of Page

Fleet
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
151 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2020 :  14:38:44  Show Profile  Visit Fleet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a 4hp two stroke Yamaha for many years. It would push us to 5.5 knots on rough water and hit around 6 knots on calm days. Crew of 4. It was stolen last year and I replaced it with a 5hp 4 stroke Tohatsu. I miss the Yamaha. The Tohatsu (Mercury) is hard to start and kicks back when attempting to start. The worst part is that the knob that locks the engine down from turning will not tighten down enough. I have to keep one hand on the tiller and the other on the engine tiller to properly steer. The Tohatsu was sold shortly after I purchased it. Yamaha only from now on. I would recommend not going below 4hp.

Fleet
Kamikaze
1983 Hull #397
Lake Guntersville, AL
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

74 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2020 :  08:00:38  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fleet, thanks for your input on the Yamaha. I have a mom and pop Yamaha dealer close that I really like. I worry a little about the Honda 2.3 after reading it's a Chinese make, not a "true" Honda. But I also worry about getting in the marina or off the lake in 30 knots of wind and 3 foot waves with a 2.3. Mercury makes a 3.5 but I'm never buying another Mercury again.

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5521 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2020 :  08:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SailTowery

Fleet, thanks for your input on the Yamaha. I have a mom and pop Yamaha dealer close that I really like. I worry a little about the Honda 2.3 after reading it's a Chinese make, not a "true" Honda. But I also worry about getting in the marina or off the lake in 30 knots of wind and 3 foot waves with a 2.3. Mercury makes a 3.5 but I'm never buying another Mercury again.

A 3.5 or 4.0 would be a good choice. If you buy the smallest motor you can possibly get by with, you'll almost certainly see the day that you didn't expect, when just a little more power would have been welcome. It's good to allow yourself a little cushion. After you've bought the motor, it's too late to wish you'd bought a little bigger one.

Steve Milby C&C 35 Landfall ("Captiva Wind"); Cal 25 ("Fahrvergnügen")
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4527 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2020 :  13:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The small Mercury outboards are made by Tohatsu, 4,5,and 6 hp share the same block, differences are carb and prop. I like my 5 hp Merc, but if I was going to replace it I would look at the 3.5 or 4 Tohatsu for my C-22. Check out the 6 hp Sail Pro model for the Capri 25.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

74 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2020 :  07:07:11  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input! I'm super wary of Mercury/Tohatsu right now because of the constant issues I'm having. I ordered a new gas cap but it didn't arrive before the weekend. So I got the 10 mins out of the outboard and sailed the rest of the way to the race course. But I had to get towed back to the marina because the wind died. I brought the motor back down from the lake to have the shop look at it again. If they get it running, I'm selling it and buying a Honda or Yamaha.

Interestingly, an Olson 30 towed me in, using a 2.5hp motor.

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422

Edited by - SailTowery on 07/27/2020 07:07:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page