Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Broken bow pulpit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mohiggy
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/12/2020 :  20:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any luck fixing one of these? Wondering if it’s worth the effort/hassle/money and still worry about if/when the repair will fail, or just look for a good used one.

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4527 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2020 :  13:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a friend in Cornelius, NC, Don Berridge, C-22 skipper who runs a non-profit sailing program for veterans. Might want to look him up. It's not a C-25, but our club has a derelict boat with a bow pulpit might be able to take off with a chain saw (the boat will likely be cut up to junk it. It has already been stripped of most usable parts. Can you provide measurements, on center, from post to post all around so I can compare to the one here to see if it might fit. If it is a fit, make an offer and the club here would likely sell it to you. Let's see if it fits, first.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5521 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2020 :  13:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think any welder who can weld stainless steel should be able to straighten it and weld it in place. I had a broken part welded on my C&C's bow pulpit and it is sound and looks good. My only difficulty was in persuading the welder to bring his equipment to my boat.

Steve Milby C&C 35 Landfall ("Captiva Wind"); Cal 25 ("Fahrvergnügen")
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

BillD
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2020 :  15:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you remove the pulpit and take it to a welder?

Bill Dally
1987 C-25 Swing Keel #5536
Incline Village, NV
Go to Top of Page

Mohiggy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2020 :  20:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a welder who said he can fix it but wants me to bring it to him. My concern is that welding it away from the boat will result in the screw holes not lining up when I try to reattach it. Am I thinking g correctly? Should I provide additional “incentive” to have him bring his welding gear to the boat or will a good welder be able to reconnect that break on the port side by mirroring the geometry of the good starboard side?

Dave, I’ll gladly connect with your buddy Don. My concern with another model’s pulpit is that it would likely require additional mods. Note where lifelines connect at the bow...

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5521 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2020 :  04:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a trailer, load it up and take the whole boat to him. If not, remove the pulpit and then make a cardboard template of the attachment points. Then take the pulpit, template and the above photo to him. He can see from the photo how it fits, and he can use the template to make sure the repair is aligned with all the attachment points and holes.

Steve Milby C&C 35 Landfall ("Captiva Wind"); Cal 25 ("Fahrvergnügen")
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 07/25/2020 04:23:16
Go to Top of Page

WHIMII
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2020 :  12:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob: I have a Bow Pulpit I rescued from a Capri 25 That while used is in good condition.
Have no need for it and would be willing to sell it if we can make the shipping and purchase
price make sense. I think I would like to get about $100 out of it. If interested let me know and I will send pics.
Karl bemzer21@hotmail.com

Karl B.
Go to Top of Page

Mohiggy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2020 :  11:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback - I'm going to try making a cardboard template and bringing him the pulpit. Even Catalina Direct's brand new unit has a disclaimer that new holes may have to be drilled to make it fit so I figure best case is that it fits, second best is that I have to seal then re-drill 3 new holes. If that doesn't work I'll definitely be reaching out to you Karl. Stay tuned - I'll let you know how it goes...

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4688 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2020 :  10:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, if it’s any consolation, I had my red-green nav light hanger broken off my bow pulpit last year by a neighbor’s boat. Both the hanger and the pulpit are stainless steel.

The yard tech was able to repair it. He carefully removed the pulpit, welded it back together expertly and the weld is now undetectable.

Later in the year, another guy smashed his boat into the same spot and the weld held up 100%, although he cracked my light fixture. Thank the gods that the yard owner saw to it that reparations were made. I’ve since moved to a better protected slip.

Welding stainless properly, although it takes an experienced welder, is something that will hold up for as long as you need it.

Unless you have a direct bow pulpit replacement, I’d say doing a careful repair job would be your best bet.

Note: you might want to make sure that you replace the red-green electrical wires with some stainless steel cable. You can use the ss cable to pull the electrical cables back through after the weld.

If they power cables get overheated during the welding process, the insulation may melt through which would later cause a short circuit. The ss wire would not be affected.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 07/31/2020 10:24:52
Go to Top of Page

Frank Law
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2020 :  13:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you insert a rod/pipe into the severed pieces secure it with screws drilled into pulpit and then take it to the welder or have
welder do it on the boat?

Frank Law
x 25 owner
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3264 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2020 :  12:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
However you need to get it welded, you need to use a product called Wichinox on the area of the weld. It "re-passivates" the area and prevents the now non-stainless steel from rusting.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3264 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2020 :  12:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
However you need to get it welded, you need to use a product called Wichinox on the area of the weld. It "re-passivates" the area and prevents the now non-stainless steel from rusting.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Mohiggy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2020 :  14:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great ideas guys. I’m definitely going to run some wire through the pulpit to make it easier to pull the electric through when the repair is done. I also think the idea of re-connecting/drilling/lashing the pulpit in place will make creating a template easier. I’m hoping that the repair gets done this week. Will post the results, good bad or ugly...

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC
Go to Top of Page

Mohiggy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2020 :  19:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun sail before removing the bow pulpit. I think a nice side effect of this project will be resealing the screw holes through the deck. Dropping the pulpit off to the welder tomorrow. Fingers crossed it won’t need to much modification to reinstall.

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page