Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cabin Ventilation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AJN77
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/01/2020 :  12:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased a C-25, and one of the upgrades I am looking at is the cabin ventilation. I've considered solar powered exhausts in the head and galley, as well as either solar or dorade style intakes. What have others done to improve the ventilation in the cabin when the hatches are dogged shut?

Something else I've considered is replacing the port in the head with an opening version (and possibly adding one in the q-berth), but I'm having trouble making sure I'm measuring correctly for a replacement. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2020 :  13:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ventilation for Passage began when I installed a solar vent in the forward hatch. This was a bust after year 2 when the fan stopped working. I replaced the battery, the fan motor and eventually the fan with a USB-powered fan. Nothing worked short of replacing the solar vent for $219.00 which I would not do. So now it’s a passive vent which thankfully does not leak any rain.

I purchased an O2Cool 12VDC two speed fan with a 5” diameter blade that I tied onto the inside of my companionway’s top crib board with the slats. I can run it off the house battery or wire it directly to the 20W solar panel.

It’s very clunky but it keeps the humidity down significantly. You might be able to find a smaller fan somewhere but this was available and it works fine.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2020 :  17:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Defender's price for a 4" Marinco solar vent is $165 (white plastic) or $173 (stainless). I bought my latest on sale for ~$100. I was replacing a plastic one that ran for about 7-8 years. This one has been running for for 5-6 years--I'm not sure... The longevity of the Marinco seems a little limited, based on other reports.

However, it is very effective at preventing condensation in the cabin overnight by exhausting the humid daytime air and drawing in cooler air that has already dropped much of its moisture. I have virtually no mildew problems in the cabin... My cockpit lockers are another issue! The vent, which I have mounted in the head, is slightly audible at night--I can turn it off and leave the companionway open if I'm on board--the birds won't come in.

Various passive vents can help, but rely on overnight air movement--summer nights tend to be like glass at my dock.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page