Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New Sails
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lduffee
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
1 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/08/2020 :  18:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!
Looks like all the previous posts got lost or were deleted? I did want to check in with the brain trust about some new sails we wanted to purchase. Our current mainsail is very blown out with patched mouse-holes, and in need of replacing. And we're currently using 110%/150% hank on jibs/genoas from the PO.

1. How important is it to go with a local sail loft vs an online vendor (like Precision or CD)? The price difference is, on average, about 50% (1000 vs 1500). I'm just not sure if the value in a relationship is worth the big price jump. Has anyone had any experience with Precision sails?

2. Cross cut dacron vs tri-radial? Our new marina (Spring 2021) has club racing - something I'm excited to try!! However, right now we're just learning/cruising. If we are going to have this boat for 5-10 years, I guess I'd prefer sails to grow into, vs grow out of? I also feel like it may be silly on our little boat to go with serious racing gear, especially being so new to the game.

3. We are also planning to upgrade our headsail to a furling jib in the spring. One sailmaker pointed out that the best course of action would be to install the furler, then measure for the headsail, and order one although we could risk it and "estimate". We're most likely to go with the CatDirect CDI Flexi-furl kit but definitely wouldn't have it in time before having to step the mast for the season. Our biggest concern is that the 5-7 week lead time for the sail to be made would really cut into our time on the water. Any thoughts? Worth the risk or is that a newb mistake?

Thank you for reading this long post!! I look forward to reading your advice and opinions. TYIA!

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2020 :  20:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what their lead time would be, but companies like The Sail Warehouse and National Sail Supply have in the past offered a CDI furler and sail package. You haven't said which rig you have, standard or tall rig or what the model year of your boat is. While the main sail is important, the C-25 is a masthead rig so the headsail is where the most power resides.
As for racing, even club racing , performance will likely suffer slightly with a furler vs. hank-on sails. My preference for the order of replacing sails, with racing in mind, would be to replace the genoa first, then the main (unless the main is in really bad shape), then the jib. Unless the PO sailed a lot in heavy air, or did a mostly very casual sailing, the genoa has probably experienced more wear than the jib. If you do buy the CDI furler, get the ball bearing option.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2020 :  11:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do buy the furler first, without the sail, maybe you can find a used sail to use and practice with while waiting for your new one. Be sure to follow the furler installation instructions explicitly and call the mfgr if you have any questions. The link below will give you a chart for sail dimensions.

http://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/web_store_TSW.cgi

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page