Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Transom-mounted depth transducer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

exf4gib
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/11/2020 :  10:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried mounting my depth gauge transducer inside the hull of my '85 C-25, which worked for a few months before delaminating & losing its sensitivity. With no plans in the near future to pull the boat out of the water, my other option is to mount the transducer externally, off the transom. I'm considering rigging a stainless steel "boom", mounted to the pushpit that's long-enough to get place the transducer clear of surface turbulence. It'll also have to be clear of the rudder sweep and opposite where the outboard is mounted. I'd consider mounting the transducer directly to the transom, but it's shape would require installation too close to the rudder, possibly causing interference. Have any of you done or considered this "mod"? Thanks!

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2020 :  06:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnie, I had a fishfinder transducer mounted similarly on my 16 footer and it worked fine while adrift fishing. What I found once I started the engine was the bow raised up slightly as the stern dug in. The water behind the stern dropped away from the transducer so it was left high and dry when I was underway. Each boat is a little different so setting up the transducer while at the dock is no guarantee that it will be correctly positioned while you’re underway.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2020 :  07:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depth transducers are almost universally mounted on sailboats forward of the keel, and for good reasons. Most importantly, the keel is the deepest part of the sailboat, and, if the transducer is transom-mounted, the depth sounder might not report shallow water until after you're already hard aground. The sounder should alert you to shallow water while you still have time to put the helm up to avoid grounding. Many sailors have successfully mounted their transducers using a wax toilet ring. I haven't personally done it that way, but others say it's reliable and easy to do.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

RockB
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2020 :  08:51:53  Show Profile  Visit RockB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby
Many sailors have successfully mounted their transducers using a wax toilet ring. I haven't personally done it that way, but others say it's reliable and easy to do.

This is my plan but I keep forgetting to pick up a wax ring when I am at the hardware store.

Here is someone that has actually used the wax ring on the C25 http://catalina25.homestead.com/FishfinderInstall.html

I am using a cheap Humminbird color fish finder that has a standard transom mount transducer but I just have it sitting on the hull in the compartment under the V-Berth. That compartment has enough water in it to cover the transducer and I have an old corroded winch handle sitting on the transducer to weigh it down. I know that is really redneck but it works like a champ. All you have to do is keep air from getting in between the transducer and the hull and it will work fine to show you the depth in less than 20' of water. Now if you want to accurately mark the bottom in deep water cheap won't cut it but that is not this tool's purpose.

Have used 5200 many times in the past in fishing boats and have never had problems going at sailboat speeds but 5200 can be a pain if you ever want to remove it.

Bill
1979 Catalina 25 SK #936
Panama City, FL
https://freeboatproject.com

Edited by - RockB on 06/13/2020 09:15:57
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2020 :  08:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Depth transducers are almost universally mounted on sailboats forward of the keel, and for good reasons. Most importantly, the keel is the deepest part of the sailboat, and, if the transducer is transom-mounted, the depth sounder might not report shallow water until after you're already hard aground. The sounder should alert you to shallow water while you still have time to put the helm up to avoid grounding. Many sailors have successfully mounted their transducers using a wax toilet ring. I haven't personally done it that way, but others say it's reliable and easy to do.

Arnie W.
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2020 :  08:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that advice, Steve! I'll give the wax ring method a try. Thanks also to you other sailors for your suggestions.

Arnie W.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2020 :  19:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The challenge forward of the keel is getting the transducer to shoot relatively straight down with a strong return, rather than off to the side, for an accurate depth. The idea of advanced warning is questionable—what are your chances of avoiding a grounding or rock with 3-4’ to go at 5 knots? For a relatively horizontal surface, aft of the keel is, I believe, the more common location. The wax base has worked for many—just be careful to avoid air bubbles between the transducer and the bottom. I’ve seen descriptions of techniques for that—others here or Youtube might help.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Boomeroo
Navigator

Members Avatar

Australia
128 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2020 :  16:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i mounted mine 10 in behind the keel wire tunnel. .Dirty area so cleaned and sanded. Then used simple araldite epoxy glue 8 years ago . Never a problem . That area is fairly flat. And water flow steady. Transom mount more subject to bubbles especially if leaning.
Clean clean is trick..

Graeme Bishop boomeroo Australia
C25 SK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page