Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Catalina 250 on boat hoist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FrankV
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
133 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/08/2020 :  07:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

We may be getting a lake house with a boat dock. 7 feet of water at the dock. It has a sailboat lift, an iron frame pulled up by electric motor and steel cables. It has an old Venture 22 on it suspended fore and aft on 12 inch wide straps. I know I need to check weight and capacity. My concern and question is where do the straps go? Should we hang the boat from the straps or support the wing keel also?
This is in Texas so year round sailing. MY other option is to remove the frame and just park the boat at the dock like it is now.

Frank Vaughan
250 WK/SR

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2020 :  07:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking up the specs on a Venture 22, it is a swing keel boat with a stated displacement of 1,600 lbs. Your boat has a stated displacement of 4,200 lbs, of which 1,050 in in the keel. If there is a make and model number available on the lift, look up the specs on that first, and maybe call the mfgr. Several areas to ask about: motor, cable straps and frame. When these boats are on a trailer or cradle, they rest mostly on the keel with bunks/pads/rollers providing a little support but mostly balance. I'd be nervous about having that much weight hanging under the boat unsupported. Maybe there is a suitable conversion kit available for the lift better suited for a keel boat (thinking out loud) such as a cradle device with bunks and keel pad in lieu of the straps.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2020 :  07:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the boat is afloat, the hull's buoyancy supports the full weight of the boat and keel. When the boat is in the lift, the straps support the full weight of the boat and keel. Regardless of whether the boat is afloat or in the lift, there is no external support to carry the weight of the keel.

When the boat is being carried on a trailer, there is a support under the keel to carry much of the weight of the keel. The reason why that support is needed is because a boat on a trailer encounters shock loads whenever it rolls over potholes in the road. A boat that is afloat, or that is being supported in a lift by straps doesn't encounter significant shock loads.

When a boat is suspended by straps in a lift, the weight of the keel doesn't put any greater load on the hull structure than when the boat is afloat. Thus, I see no reason why it should hurt the boat to store it in a boat lift, assuming the straps are positioned properly to support the hull.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/13/2020 07:55:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page