Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Adding a hatch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smconinc
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/30/2020 :  11:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone at some point must have added, I'm guessing, a solar fan centered over the v berth. When I got my boat, about three months ago, it had a plastic lid siliconed over the hole. Water got past the silicone and has created a soft spot. I either need to repair this solid, or have thought about adding another hatch, possibly one with plexiglass. My boat seams very damp, as my windows leak at the moment, so I do like the idea of a fan for air movement. So, I'm looking for advice here. How best to repair the soft spot, should I repair and add another fan, or what do the rest of you do for condensation, leaks etc, or what are your thoughts about adding another hatch?

Scott Michaels 79' C25 SR/SK

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2020 :  11:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A solar vent can be very effective--it exhausts the damp daytime air (and your breath when sleeping), drawing in cooler nighttime air that has dropped much of its moisture as dew. It works great in my current boat--I didn't get around to installing one in our C-25 before I sold her. I would have installed it in the forward hatch so it wouldn't be under foot. The downside is that the Nicros don't seem to last more than an few years, but they're easy to replace, and I got a free replacement motor from them. I can't speak to the newer Marinco models. (Nicro is now part of Marinco.) I got a replacement Nicro vent at half price from West a couple of years ago.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2020 :  09:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’d agree with Dave Stinkpotter on a solar fan. While mine bit the dust awhile back, the advantage is that it runs during the evening when most condensation occurs because it has a rechargeable battery built-in. A fan that only runs when the sun is shining will work okay mostly, but having a fan that runs after dark when you need it most is best.
I’ve tried to repair my original Nicro solar vent, but the best bet is to wait for the sale (usually $180 marked down to $100).
I’d also agree that anything you can do to repair the original Vee berth and windows will go a long way improving the cabin environment.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

smconinc
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2020 :  18:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you fellas for your advice. I plan to add another one

Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2020 :  20:59:33  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I concur with installing another solar-powered fan; I have a Marinco myself, but I put it above the head instead of on the foredeck. It can be a nuisance on the foredeck if you have hanked-on headsails or when you're setting or recovering the anchor.

On the other hand, if you need to replace a little bit of the foredeck around the hole you have, you might consider installing a removable access port (ie. https://beckson.com/dckplt.html) in a larger diameter than the existing hole. Then, you can open it for ventilation whenever it won't get rained on or splashed on. If the degradation of the plywood interlayer isn't too extensive, you can fill the space with thickened epoxy (or even 3M 5200 squirted in there, except it takes a while to cure) just to provide some support between the layers of fiberglass before you install the port.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

smconinc
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2020 :  13:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the advice Lee. I like the idea of another hatch there

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page