Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Questions: whisker pole and clutch on mast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/29/2020 :  10:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sailing season has begun here at 6,200 feet. Sailed 3 days this week. Joy!

A couple of questions: I'd like a whisker pole to pole out my jib for wing-and-wing downwind sailing. Any recommendations? I see a pole on West Marine for $109, has a clip at one end for the mast but a spike at the other end (jib clew). Seems it should be a clip at both ends?

I also would like to install a clutch or cam on the mast for reefing. My reefing method is to heave to, then go forward and deal with my single line reefing system (that I don't like, but not changing soon). I use cleat right now, I pull the slack out of the mast to cinch down the clew, then pull that slack out to cinch down the tack. In past years/travels I have seen a small single line clutch, but can only find cam cleats and big clutches. Any advice on a product that would fit the bill?

Thanks in advance...

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2020 :  12:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The $109. pole is made for small daysailers, and is too short and too flimsy for a C250.

The best pole for a C250 is the forespar ADJ 7-15 ($384. at Defender's Memorial Day Sale). It's long enough and strong enough.

You might be able to get by with an ADJ 6-12 ($175. at WM), but you'd have to take it down in gusty or fresher winds, because it would likely break.

I got by with the equivalent of an ADJ 6-12 on my C25, but was careful to only use it in very light air.

I try to amortize the cost of boat gear in my mind. If I expect to keep the boat for 10 years, I don't mind spending $30-40. per year for gear that I will enjoy using for 10 years. At least, it makes me feel better about the expense.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2020 :  19:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had my C250 I purchased the one you saw on WestMarine, except the version that has a clip at both ends instead of a spike:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--6-12-telescoping-whisker-pole-double-latch--112110?recordNum=1

While I suppose it would be possible to snap this lighter pole in high winds, I encountered no problems in sailing on a river. It was generally on the light wind days that I wanted the whisker pole to stabilize a sail that would sometimes have too little wind to fill on its own. The pole is light and easy to deploy, and does not need a topping lift because of its light weight. It was a joy to use compared to the big heavy one that I have now.

A couple of notes: I never extended the pole fully to 12', typically using it at 8-9' total length. This increased the effective strength, because the midpoint of the pole (where buckling stress would be highest) would have both inner and outer tube reinforcing each other.

The main reason that I would use it at the shortened length was because I could easily jibe without having to go forward and reset the pole. I would attach a loop of line in the clew, and attach the outer end of the pole to the loop. By keeping the pole short enough, I could jibe it to either side of the boat without colliding with the forestay. This was particularly useful on a river, where I was always doing frequent tacks and jibes.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2020 :  12:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, Rick - thank you very much for that info. Thanks for saving me from buying a pole unsuitable to the task.

Is this the sort of fitting to mount on the mast? I presume I would mount this sort of thing such that the pole is horizontal to the surface of the water?

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/capri-22/rigging/standing-rigging/spar-fittings/whisker-pole-mast-eye/?SearchResults=1

Thanks!

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2020 :  13:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doublereefed

Steve, Rick - thank you very much for that info. Thanks for saving me from buying a pole unsuitable to the task.

Is this the sort of fitting to mount on the mast? I presume I would mount this sort of thing such that the pole is horizontal to the surface of the water?

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/capri-22/rigging/standing-rigging/spar-fittings/whisker-pole-mast-eye/?SearchResults=1

Thanks!

That fitting would be fine, but the pole that I bought with clips at both ends included a plastic fitting that works perfectly fine also.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2020 :  15:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whisker pole brochure: https://newcontent.westmarine.com/documents/pdfs/OwnersManuals/SAILBOAT_HARDWARE/whiskerPoleBrochure_2_2007.pdf

quote:
The ADJ 6-12/6-12 DL poles come with the mast eye. Use this
mast eye for proper fit. The HD 6-12 DL and ADJ 7-15 DL should
be used with PE-3-SF (#400001) stainless mast eye (sold separately). Storage in the cabin (ADJ 7-15 DL can store in SC-200
stanchion chocks sold separately).

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2020 :  21:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This just came up on Facebook memories. Small whisker pole in action:

https://www.facebook.com/RickSonntag/videos/10200119447017702/

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2020 :  22:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Rick! Thanks for sharing that. Exactly the effect I'm going for. I read the material on whisker poles, making my plan now.

ALSO: tell me about your bimini if you would. Is it below the boom? Is the boom at standard height? Or is it locate aft of the boom? A very nice setup you have there. PO had a bimini, but it was mounted forward and can't be used under way.

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2020 :  15:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bimini was installed by a previous owner. It was just behind the mast, which allowed it to be installed high enough to stand under and also to sit under in the transom seats. It was a very nice design, with a 90 degree bend (forward) and aft support that allowed it to be fully attached to the transom seat tubing with no additional penetrations of the fiberglass. Freeze the video at the 1:00 mark to get a good look at it.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

Edited by - TakeFive on 06/03/2020 15:43:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page