Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Boom height
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bobbyb
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/24/2020 :  13:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone raised the boom height on a Catalina 250.I would then order new sails.Thanks and have a great weekend

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2020 :  12:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if anyone has tackled this one. Presumably, it is to get the boom above standing head room? Mine currently sits just above the dodger, and I do like the arrangement, but I can see, from a safety aspect, the desire to raise it. I don't see why you couldn't, with the exceptions that the gooseneck would need to be moved, and vang and mainsheet, the cunningham & reefing lines altered, and the mast sail slot in the extruded aluminum section altered to allow for a higher feed location. If you do those, you could cut your main down to fit, or order a new one. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Charles
Catalina 250 WK SR
Hull #475 "Surfline"
College Station, TX
Texas Solvasons
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2020 :  13:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recall anyone ever considering it on this forum. My opinion generally is that it's your boat and you can do whatever you want with it.

That being said, ducking under the boom is part and parcel of sailing. I crew on a Jeanneau 45 and even have to duck under it's boom. You soon get accustomed to it and keeping your head down is as natural as breathing.

Some of our C25 tall rig owners have raised their boom 1 foot, but that's because the tall rig boom is 1 foot lower than on a standard rig, and that requires that you duck deeply.

One of the negatives is that the boat doesn't sail as well, because you have sacrificed sail area. Probably the biggest negative is that having a non-standard sail devalues your boat to a buyer. Many sailors would deduct the cost of a new sail from their offer upon learning that it has a non-standard sail.

I would consider how long I planned to keep the boat. If I planned to sell it in a couple years, I wouldn't want to do anything to devalue it. If I planned to keep it for 10-15 years, I'd do whatever allowed me to enjoy the boat the most. In that period of time you'll wear out the short sail and it'll need to be replaced anyway.

Steve Milby C&C 35 Landfall ("Captiva Wind"); Cal 25 ("Fahrvergnügen")
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

WK 727
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2020 :  14:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the boom length. My boom is within 6 inches of the backstay. So if you raise it a foot, well, be prepared to chop off the end of the boom and remount the internal pulleys and brackets as well as adjusting the sail for the new boom length. It can be done, but there are many things to take into consideration.

Regards, John
04 Catalina 250 WK
Standard rig w/wheel steering
Yanmar 9hp diesel
Go to Top of Page

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2020 :  07:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WK 727

Don't forget the boom length. My boom is within 6 inches of the backstay. So if you raise it a foot, well, be prepared to chop off the end of the boom and remount the internal pulleys and brackets as well as adjusting the sail for the new boom length. It can be done, but there are many things to take into consideration.

Good catch.

Charles
Catalina 250 WK SR
Hull #475 "Surfline"
College Station, TX
Texas Solvasons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page