Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Kitty litter for porta potty
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/29/2020 :  23:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was cleaning out the cat box recently and I wondered whether kitty litter’s ability to absorb moisture and smells would be useful in a portapotty?

Now my tank only opens to receive and expel fluids and solids, but if I could saw the tank in half (bottom half and top half), and I could partially fill it with kitty litter.

Then, if it were used for #1 the media would absorb wetness and smells and maybe clump up a little. But it would not be sloshing around.

For #2, using a minimum of flush water or blue water, the litter would basically dry out the solid residue as it does for the cat, I reckon.

When it’s time to empty it out, no more trips to the rest room with a 40 pound container to flush down the toilet (watch your aim my friend, don’t get any on your shoes!).

Instead you just get a green garbage bag, separate the two halves of the container and carefully empty the litter into the bag.

Then it’s just a quick rinse with the hose and voila! Ready for a new adventure with some fresh kitty litter.

I’d imagine you could dispose of the trash bag in the dumpster, no?

There’s gotta be sometime wrong with this plan, it’s too easy!!?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2020 :  08:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A kitty litter box is open to the air in a house where the litter can dry out. Evaporation of the liquids and moisture in #2 will be a problem in a closed potty environment. You are also talking about a much smaller air space in the boat and significantly larger quantities of liquid and solids than a cat produces. If you try it, be sure to let us know how it turns out.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2020 :  18:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, David - you’re right! I doubt anything would dry out in that situation.

Now it would be possible and perhaps desirable to use the container ports to supply some negative pressure ventilation.

There’s a pumpout port and a pour-out port on the tank.

I could find a piece of dryer hose and a 12VDC box fan and a bunch of duct tape to rig up a smell suction device to blow the moisture-filled air outside somehow.

I wonder whether replacing the tank air with cabin air would do the trick, or if I need some outside air as a source?

I have proven to myself that a 12VDC fan, a 30W solar panel plus a small 12VDC battery would keep the boat cabin dry.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 04/30/2020 18:33:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page