Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Replacement stove options
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RandyAmy
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/09/2020 :  06:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is everyone using for a replacement stove that fits nicely into the C25 galley opening?

Bill Holcomb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
769 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2020 :  07:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We replaced the original "Princess" with an Origo 3000 w/gimbals thirty years ago on Snickerdoodle. We've never regretted the expense.
Bill Holcomb - C25 Snickerdoodle #4839
Go to Top of Page

RandyAmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2020 :  08:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are they still made? That is what I was going to get but after searching it looks like they may not be produced any more.
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2020 :  10:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been looking for a while and it appears that Origo was acquired by Dometic, who discontinued all alcohol stoves/ovens a year or so back. It also appears that there are no other manufacturers of non-pressurized alcohol stoves, at least targeting the marine market. Portable propane "camp" stoves seem to be the most reasonable option albeit they are typically one burner and not designed for marine/salt water environments.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2020 :  13:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe try to snatch one up on Ebay before it's too late.

Too bad, it made a nice drop in replacement and is pretty safe.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

RandyAmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2020 :  06:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

I have been looking for a while and it appears that Origo was acquired by Dometic, who discontinued all alcohol stoves/ovens a year or so back. It also appears that there are no other manufacturers of non-pressurized alcohol stoves, at least targeting the marine market. Portable propane "camp" stoves seem to be the most reasonable option albeit they are typically one burner and not designed for marine/salt water environments.

That is what I was finding. I think the camp stove will be the way I will have to go.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2020 :  08:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are lots of little butane units that are simple, cheap, and cook nicely--cleaner and better than an Origo (which we once had). I have a pot-holder for mine. I've seen a few stainless steel models (which mine isn't), and one with two burners. As for the marine environment, mine stays home in its carrying case, and goes to the boat when it's going to be used (i.e., rarely). I also don't store the cannisters in a marine environment. With a little portable, you can gain some valuable counter space, add a drawer or shelf in the galley, and even cook in the cockpit if the mood strikes.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2020 :  14:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m not fond of the propane camp stoves although they are reliable. I hate throwing away the canisters.
My favorite is a white gas dual fuel Coleman 533 single burner for coffee or tea. You can also make a great Ramen or hot cocoa if you’re so inclined. You get a lot of cooking on a gallon of white gas.
I also have a butane stove that uses canisters. It’s fine for frying eggs and bacon and making Texas toast in the morning and grilling burgers or sandwich steaks. It runs super hot so you have to use a cast iron pan, not Teflon.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2020 :  15:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Juggling the issues. Alcohol does not burn hot but gets the job done over time. Propane is hot (maybe too hot if not properly installed and insulated) but canisters are an issue. Not familiar with the "white gas" stove, but again, too hot could be an issue. I have a one burner propane camp stove I rarely use. If I had an Origo I might use it more -- not sure. But for "Good Old Boats" like ours the options are fewer than I wish.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct

Edited by - bigelowp on 04/10/2020 15:48:25
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2020 :  17:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

I’m not fond of the propane camp stoves although they are reliable. I hate throwing away the canisters.
My favorite is a white gas dual fuel Coleman 533 single burner for coffee or tea. You can also make a great Ramen or hot cocoa if you’re so inclined. You get a lot of cooking on a gallon of white gas.

Those dual fuel stoves are nice. But we're still using our old $42 Coleman two-burner propane camp stove. We cook in the cockpit in summer and in the cabin in winter.

We store the canisters in the small starboard cockpit locker. We reuse the canisters until they rust out.

By law you can refill the canisters but cannot transport refilled canisters over the road. I take a 20lb propane tank to the boat, and refill the depleted canisters with a $12 fitting from Amazon.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2020 :  09:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or make your own:

https://youtu.be/Mg91VsButWE

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

RandyAmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2020 :  06:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the input. I think I will be able to find something to fit the space.
Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2020 :  05:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not trust my princess stove from flareups. So i took the burners out and used sterno in its place. they fit in nicely. the sterno takes a wile longer to heat water but its a safe way to use the stove. The larger sterno last longer and might be hotter. Happy cooking!

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2020 :  08:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a carry on cooler where the stove was. I put the single burner butane unit just outside the companionway and I can get to it from inside, it is on the centerline so waves generally don't bother it, also using cast iron cookware it is heavy enough to stay in place. Even if it did get knocked over out there is would not be a danger nor hard to clean up.

Warm enough weather down south usually to do this.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

n5ama
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2020 :  18:22:45  Show Profile  Visit n5ama's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm new here but I just replaced the original Origo 4000 alcohol stove with a Dometic D21 two burner cooktop. It is Stainless and has a cast iron grill with a 12vdc igniter. It's really a nice looking unit. A cover can be ordered in glass or (non-stainless) metal. The D21 is slightly smaller than the Origo unit so a spacer is needed to fit properly. I'm going over the top of the spacer with some white laminate material to make it look a bit better.

The only issue is the regulator is mounted on the base of the unit and therefore requires a propane hose to connect at bottle pressure. I'm coming from the port cockpit storage and routing the hose to the stove from there. I plan on putting some spacers under the storage lid for ventilation. I'm also storing a few plastic gasoline cans there so need the space vented anyway.

A 12v pair of wires coming off the low voltage panel is connected to a screw terminal block on the stove. The igniter is a push button located between the burner knobs.

It looks like its typical Dometic quality. Only time will tell if it holds up to the salt environment.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom
1987 C-25 TR-WK #5577 Traditional interior
Tiger Tom
Nassau Bay, TX

Edited by - n5ama on 04/23/2020 18:23:46
Go to Top of Page

RandyAmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2020 :  07:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this drop in cooktop just sit on the wood framework where the origional stove was?
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Smith

I'm new here but I just replaced the original Origo 4000 alcohol stove with a Dometic D21 two burner cooktop. It is Stainless and has a cast iron grill with a 12vdc igniter. It's really a nice looking unit. A cover can be ordered in glass or (non-stainless) metal. The D21 is slightly smaller than the Origo unit so a spacer is needed to fit properly. I'm going over the top of the spacer with some white laminate material to make it look a bit better.

The only issue is the regulator is mounted on the base of the unit and therefore requires a propane hose to connect at bottle pressure. I'm coming from the port cockpit storage and routing the hose to the stove from there. I plan on putting some spacers under the storage lid for ventilation. I'm also storing a few plastic gasoline cans there so need the space vented anyway.

A 12v pair of wires coming off the low voltage panel is connected to a screw terminal block on the stove. The igniter is a push button located between the burner knobs.

It looks like its typical Dometic quality. Only time will tell if it holds up to the salt environment.

Thanks,
Tom

Go to Top of Page

Grato
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2020 :  08:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Smith

Thanks,
Tom

I wouldn't use the port cockpit locker for a propane locker due to propane being heavier than air. The concerns being that any LP gas leaks would either get trapped in the locker since there are no drains at the bottom and/or could get back into the cabin. Both scenarios cause concern over a risk of explosion.

Maybe you could engineer a propane bottle compartment that gets secured into the port cockpit locker and is fit with a proper drain that goes to a thru-hull to let LP gas escape?
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2020 :  08:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a small propane bottle could be secured to a leg of the taffrail, and covered with sunbrella to improve it's appearance. Alternatively, it wouldn't be very difficult to deepen the shallow starboard cockpit locker enough to hold a small propane bottle, and to vent it.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2020 :  10:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, too, am concerned about the propane install in the port locker. Even with venting, escaped propane would likely accumulate in the bottom of the locker and quite possibly settle in the bilge. Seems like a big no-no to me.

I do like the idea of mounting on aft rail. This seems quite feasible.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2020 :  10:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in my powerboat days I kept the one pound canisters in a canvas bag that I hung on a side railing. I took the bag home when I wasn't planning any cooking.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2020 :  17:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott: you are pragmatic and efficient. Our 25 ft boats require simplicity. Without alcohol stoves we need to adjust!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

n5ama
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
16 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2020 :  07:22:09  Show Profile  Visit n5ama's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use a 12 foot high pressure propane hose from the stove to the port side settee. The hose is rolled up there and out of the way. I made a wood box for my 5# tank that is hung from the pulpit rail when in use and the hose is connected through a slot in the side of the box. The box/tank is removed from the boat and hauled home when not in use.

The box keeps the tank from rolling around the cockpit and also protects the gel coat in the cockpit.

I’m guessing the USCG would frown on storing that tank in a unvented space, especially one that has all the boats electrical wiring/switches/contacts exposed in that space.

Tom
1987 C-25 TR-WK #5577 Traditional interior
Tiger Tom
Nassau Bay, TX
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2020 :  09:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After purchasing our '85 C-25, one of the first "mods" I performed was to remove the alcohol stove which appeared unusable. I found an elecric, two hotplate portable unit (Cusimax 1800W) that fit nicely into the stainless steel stove area. Since we're on a lake, we likely won't be cooking away from the dock. However, for "take-alongs" we use a handy item called "Hotlogic" warming tote, which is an electric warmer unit that'll keep food warm for a short daysail. Just need to be warmed for about 45 minutes on AC (12VDC powered unit also available) power prior to getting underway, which could be done before leaving the slip. It'll accommodate a Pyrex covered dish for warming. We've used this for stew, chili dogs, meat balls, etc. The Hotlogic takes very little space.

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"
Go to Top of Page

myersge1
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2021 :  13:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like many of you, I worry about using propane on the boat. I've taken apart the original Catalina alcohol stove many times and soaked and cleaned all of the parts but it still never worked well. I love using small, light-weight alcohol stoves like these when backpacking (https://www.theadventurejunkies.com/best-alcohol-stove/) so I figured they would work just as well on the boat. I pulled out all of the original alcohol stove mechanisms from my Catalina 25 but kept the stove body so that I could still have the benefit of the swivel stove top. I bought two backpacking alcohol stoves (one small and one large) so that I could use one for simmering and one for cooking since you can't adjust the temperature. They're either on or off. I found two soup cans that were slightly larger diameter than each of the backpacking stoves, cut them short, and glued them in the center of the burner recesses of the Catalina's stove top as holders. Now I can add alcohol to the backpacking stoves, set them into the soup-can holders, and fire them up. They are reliable, simple, and have no moving parts or tanks to try to fit in a small area. We don't cook gourmet on the boat so they fit our need well and are safe. I'll post photos the next time I go out.

Edited by - myersge1 on 01/10/2021 13:21:15
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2021 :  12:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading about the camping-based alcohol stoves, they seem to have a few advantages. The fuel is intrinsically safer than naphtha, gasoline, propane and butane.while alcohol has a lower energy content per ounce, the alcohol stoves have been designed to generate comparable BTUs by burning more fuel. The Esbit models can burn both alcohol and esbit fuel cubes.
My primary use cases are making coffee and tea and boiling ramen + vegetables.
If I need to fry a burger or steak I can always use the butane and a cast iron pan. Seems like it might be a wise solution, especially to rehabilitate the large number of poorly operating original alcohol stoves out there.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2021 :  19:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's unfortunate the Dometic Origo non-pressurized stoves are out of production. I bought a two-burner years ago and it's pretty much a gimballed drop-in replacement.

Anyone looking should grab one anywhere they can. I'm on the lookout for replacement cannisters just to have them on hand.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page