Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Glue in transponder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sea-nile
Deckhand

Member Avatar

3 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/08/2020 :  12:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can a Hawkeye glue in transponder work in my 84 Cat 25 swing keel?

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2020 :  14:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a lot of trouble with a Hawkeye and returned it. Ended up buying an inexpensive Eagle Cuda brand fishfinder from Bass Pro on sale. Mounted the transducer inside the boat right behind the swing keel trunk using the toilet wax ring method. Never had any trouble with it. All I used it for was as a depth finder.
If you already have the Hawkeye unit, you could always try it first.
If you don't know what the toilet wax ring method is: Buy a toilet wax ring, pull off about 1/3 of the wax and form a patty with it being careful to not get any air bubbles in the wax. Place the transducer carefully in the patty and press the patty lightly against the hull where you want it to be. Plug in the transducer and and power it up. Begore doing this, you mighty lower the transducer into the water outside the boat and test it first and get a reading. Then compare to the reading from inside the boat. The Hawkeye I returned would not read outside the boat.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2020 :  19:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David P,
It sounds like you received a defective unit. Perhaps they built that one on Friday afternoon...
I purchased a Hawkeye 6 or 7 years ago after my built-in Catalina depth meter died. I kept the old housing and mounted the new display inside. I ran the transducer down into the bilge under the quarterberth to “miss” the keel structure. I mounted it using the wax ring method. Took a little finagling and first time I did get air bubbles in the wax. It was about 85° or 90° when I installed it, which was way too hot a day for the wax. Was super iffy.
2nd time was a charm. Works well except on a very soft mud bottom

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Sea-nile
Deckhand

Members Avatar

3 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2020 :  08:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great info, thanks
I was going to use the wax method, the specs say “glue in” so I wanted to be clear on what I was going to do.

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2020 :  20:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wax method worked great for me. I have a Garmin 741xs with a transom mount stuck in the toilet bowl wax ring , remolded of course
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page