Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Stay healthy!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/15/2020 :  17:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the midst of this latest health worry regarding Covid-19, I hope you all manage to stay healthy, and your loved ones as well. Keep those who are infected in your prayers.
Good luck!

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2020 :  20:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A niece of mine, an MD, pointed me and others to what she thinks is the best description of what's happening and where things could be headed. It's a little long, and data intensive, but the data and the analysis opened my eyes, and I was already a believer.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Stay safe and well, but at least as important, keep the community around you safe and well. This "takes a village."

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2020 :  05:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting Dave. It is the best article I've seen to date.
And yes, everyone stay safe.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2020 :  07:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes , Stay Safe! I can't. think of a safer place than being out on the water in your boat.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2020 :  08:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...says the guy in Florida!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2020 :  09:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting that Dave. I’m a physician and that’s the best article I’ve seen on the pandemic yet, and the link to why the US doesn’t have testing but everyone else does is eye opening also. Since most of us are over 65 on this forum (I think), I urge you all to self isolate over the next few weeks, as I have.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2020 :  12:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good article that shows just how bad this can get and how taking measures now can help change the outcome. Gov. Murphy of N.J said when asked if the gov. Was over reacting said he felt like Roy Scnider in Jaws when he finally saw the shark and said, We're going to need a bigger boat.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/16/2020 13:48:20
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2020 :  20:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, this is a great article, it really gives you a good idea of what to expect.

For the more analytical folks out there if you’d like to find out more about work going on for treatments short of a vaccine, take a look at the MedCram series from update 27 up to the present. See this link to start at the beginning
https://youtu.be/xQwfuJgJ9lo

What Dr Seheult has done is take you step-by-step on how the virus works at a macro level: chills, fever, pneumonia and heart difficulties, then takes you down to the cellular level to discuss the normal viral disease processes and how this one is very different.

As you progress through the series you’ll learn about some promising treatments using traditional anti-viral drugs, an interesting approach using an anti-malarial drug plus zinc and some variations on certain blood pressure meds that show promise of lessening the severity of the illness by interfering with the cells’ virus replication processes.

Fascinating stuff for the technically inclined ...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 03/16/2020 20:54:50
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2020 :  21:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup--I'm 10 years past 65, and only wish I could isolate myself on my boat out on Fishers Island Sound--that'll be a little later, after I socially distance myself at the boatyard, preparing for launch hopefully some time in May.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2020 :  18:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great article.

The medcram lectures are required viewing in my book. Dr Seheult, being a pulmonary doc gives a valuable perspective.

Now that we are all in and have the time, I think this lecture series can really help answer a lot of questions that will occur at different times. I really appreciate the work he is doing. I work in healthcare and we are having a time of it adapting. ( we are off work right now, self isolating )

Just remember, if all this works out, nothing much happens

My favorite suggestion is the vulcan greeting, live long and prosper. ( rather than a handshake ).

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 03/17/2020 18:06:24
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2020 :  18:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My marina just sent out a message explaining that COVID-19 is being watched at the moments, however, if any of their yard staff contract the illness, they’ll shut down to marina en toto.
The marina has 5 acres of boats to launch between April 15th through Memorial Day. Lots of untarping, bottompainting, hull buffing, head refurbishing, fuel tank cleaning, splashing, you name it. I’d guess 1/3 or the marina’s revenue is derived from this time of year.
Luckily, I keep Passage at a smallish marina offsite over the winter and typically splash around Mayday. Hopefully...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2020 :  21:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...if any of their yard staff contract the illness, they’ll shut down to marina en toto...
If mine does that, I hope I can still go in and do my topsides and bottom paint--about the only prerequisites to launching. Then I supposed I might have to wait--while the folks there are out of work... I feel very fortunate.

Meanwhile, I have a pulmonologist next door, my PCP across the street, a nurse across a driveway, and a daughter who's an ER nurse in Colorado--these folks make me feel very insignificant right now!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2020 :  18:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3-1/2 rolls of good RV toilet tissue and 1/2 bottle of hand sanitizer on the boat, which is more than we have at home. We're self quarantining on the boat this weekend!

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2020 :  14:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All non essential businesses have to close starting Monday in NY. I don't think a Marina is essential. This is looking like a boatless year.

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2020 :  17:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott: I expect this will be all behind us by sailing season

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2020 :  17:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Various friends in the medical business claim that the virus is serious but not worthy of all the hype. Wash hands, stay clear of people and we will do just fine.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2020 :  21:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, had I been ready to launch on Thursday when I saw the yard boss, she’d be afloat now. Got word today that due to the State’s non-essential shutdown rule, I’ll be high and dry for some time to come... Unless I can really make it worth his while ...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2020 :  13:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting article, thanks. Got a lot more, and interesting, response from my post than I thought I would. Hope you guys up north do get your boats launched. Ours is on the hard under a tarp waiting for a mast-up parking spot at the club we joined near us after moving last fall. We sold our home in Nashville, downsized moving out of the city to the mountains between Nashville and Chattanooga, a town called Monteagle (one word, no "U"). Came here every summer since birth, seemed like a good place to be for retirement, if that ever happens, still doing income taxes.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2020 :  15:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All, stay healthy and mentally sound -- this stay in place stuff could get old! Hopefully the frenzie will be over before launch season.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2020 :  23:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a couple of boats in line for launch this week. Tomorrow I’ll be scraping and sanding the rough spots, then painting on Tuesday between rainstorms. Let’s git ‘er done.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2020 :  14:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news! My marina was given status as an essential service according to the State definition.
That comes with a few provisos however.
The Ship’s Store if strictly off limits. You can still order by phone, text or email and they’ll place your order on the boat, or you can arrange a rendezvous for pickup nearby the store.
You cannot approach any of the yard crew members directly.
If you need any services aboard you must not have been aboard your boat for the past 2 days.
All sensible requirements.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2020 :  12:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a similar Email from my Marina saying that Until further notice, the Marina office will be closed to all foot traffic. We ask that all communication and business be conducted via phone, e-mail or mail. Also for their safety don't approach the yard crew. Don't enter any buildings without permission and a few more restrictions. Sounded like they covered themselves and basically said, Don't come near us and Your on your own. I'm sure this isn't the end and more changes are to come. Oh yea,One more item in the Email that had me scratching my head was this.

"If you are working on your boat, we ask that you be responsible and sanitize the boat to ensure it is safe for others before you leave."

Edited by - islander on 03/24/2020 12:37:48
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2020 :  21:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quote: Islander “ we ask that you be responsible and sanitize the boat to ensure it is safe for others before you leave."

Strange. How do you do that in practice? Are they asking you to spray a can of Lysol on everything in and on your boat?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2020 :  04:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beats me, Maybe people are going to party on my boat after I leave?

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2020 :  05:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose the marina's concern is that it's employees not be exposed to contamination on the boat's outer surfaces caused by the owner or his helpers sneezing, coughing or touching the boat's outer surfaces while working on it. After the owner finishes working on it, marina workers will have to climb over it to launch it and possibly go inside to check that thru hull valves are not open or leaking.

Ordinarily that request would seem far fetched, but this is an unusual situation. Moreover, my marina, for example, only has the marina manager and 1-2 employees. If one or two can't work, they can't operate the marina. That's probably what they're trying to avoid.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2020 :  10:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, no mechanic and yard workers = no boat. I'll do what I can to keep them safe. Apparently this virus persists much longer than most on hard, smooth surfaces--metal, gelcoat, etc.

By the way, my medical friends and family (several MDs, an ER nurse, and an air-evacuation paramedic do not agree with Peter's. This is a cousin of SARS and Ebola--less deadly but more transmissible. I live in just about the least affected part of the state right now--I figure the "curve" will eventually extend here--hopefully it will become "flatter" as it does, so vulnerable people like me can get into the ICU if we need it (rather than a hallway in the Gastroenterology Department).

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page