Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Cabin fever
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/31/2020 :  06:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For all you frostbite zone sailors we’re entering the dreaded cabin fever season... just about this time every year we start missing the beautiful sunny days and warm nights of the sailing season.
So it’s a good time to start planning your coming year: boat shows, maintenance projects, updates or improvements and new cruising destinations and adventures.
What’s on your equipment list? What needs a fix up? Where are you planning an overnight trip this year?
Now is the time to let your imagination run wild...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2020 :  07:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not, I'm noodling over "right-sizing" back from the Dark Side... Because of my lady's hectic, 14 X 7 real estate career and "her son's" Australian cattle dog (that no dog-sitter can manage), my V-berth hasn't been used in several years now, the head gets used only occasionally for what a juice carton could handle, the pressure-water sink does an occasional hand-wash, and day-trips have covered the local area many, many times... I try my best not to amortize in my head the annual storage and maintenance costs over the number of hours on the water, but........

So what about going back to day-sailing in this beautiful estuary and protected waters inside of Ram and Fishers Islands? To have a sailboat where Sarge lives in season (outside my condo on the Mystic River), I'd need a short mast due to some wires and a 25' fixed interstate bridge, which leads to consideration of a little gaff-rigged catboat with tanbark sail and a Torqeedo on the stern--comfortable for 2-3 under sail, and 4-6 motoring around the Mystic Seaport and village... (The Com-Pac Picnic Cat and Sunday Cat are leading the imaginary "herd of cats" at the moment.)

This would mean selling my beloved Sarge, which I had built semi-custom to my specs up in NH back 13 years ago this winter........... But I just got a free ad--check this month's BoatUS magazine--the Contents page and the article on changing boats! Oh, the irony! Then back to Trailersailor.com, where this forum--and I--both started!

Imagination running wild? Ya, I guess!

Looking south on the Mystic River from directly over my place.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/31/2020 07:47:50
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2020 :  09:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hilarious...........

I just opened my copy of BoatUS mag, and wondered if that was you on page 4......

And as I flipped to page 57, found out, yep it's you........

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2020 :  09:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an aside, one of the sailors here in Boot Key Harbor just had his 83rd birthday. So if you can pull the sheets, pick up the anchor....... Carry on........

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2020 :  09:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

Hilarious...........

I just opened my copy of BoatUS mag, and wondered if that was you on page 4......

Yup--fortunately pretty much incognito (except for Sarge, which is one-of-a-kind).

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2020 :  17:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plan to pack all that in this weekend, drop on my newly purchased outboard and do the year's first overnighter.

Looks like it could hit 68 here tomorrow (Saturday) with light winds.

Sunday a fair bit cooler but gusts to 15. Should be some good sailing I hope.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2020 :  07:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And to think it was announced first right here on this thread for winter projects and summer dreams!
Speaking of Cats with a gaff-rigged sail a friend in Madison CT owns a Wharram 21 catamaran that he loves. A Tiki boat...
When he’s sailing she’ll do 10 kts easily in any good breeze and when he wants to relax it becomes a very stable pontoon boat.
It needs inches (not feet) of draft and he can beach it.
Not sure if it’ll fit on your dock Dave but maybe you should consider a small Cat?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2020 :  07:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

Hilarious...........

Yup--fortunately pretty much incognito (except for Sarge, which is one-of-a-kind).

Also a nice shot on Page 4, wow!

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2020 :  20:14:23  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow it will be around 51F and believe it will be warmer the following day, Monday. So, I anticipate sailing on both days. As far as projects go, I finished all exterior wood with teak oil and all is protected with Sunbrella covers. But since September, when not sailing, I have been building a CLC Skerry 15’ sailboat. I took the class, end of September, and that completed the basic hull but about 50% work remains to be done. The sailboat will be completed this month - Working on the boom and yard 3rd epoxy coat to then be followed by about 4 coats of schooner varnish. The rudder needs to be fastened to the stern and then a few fittings and lacing the sail to the boom and yard.....and that is about it. Oh....I am also going to redo the finish on the top wood rail since it could be smoother. I’lll wait for the Spring before it’s first launched!

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2020 :  23:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Not sure if it’ll fit on your dock Dave but maybe you should consider a small Cat?
I am, but a gaff-rigged catboat, not a catamaran. (1) My slip is 12' wide, which won't even accommodate a Hobie 14 (but is ample for my Eastern 27). (2) At 75, I'm not into sitting and crawling around on trampolines--been there and done that in another era. (3) Going fast and beaching boats are not among my objectives. Around here, it's dock-to-dock sailing/boating, very occasionally anchoring for lunch, cocktails, sunsets, or whatever.

There are some other considerations in the mix... But it makes an interesting Jan/Feb/March subject to noodle on! The mag article says it: Life changes, we change, and boats can change with us--up, down and sideways!

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/01/2020 23:05:28
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2020 :  18:09:11  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe consider a Marshall Cat - 15’ or 18’.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2020 :  07:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

Maybe consider a Marshall Cat - 15’ or 18’.
I certainly am considering the Marshall Sandpiper--a pretty little boat. Not sure I want all the brightwork...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2020 :  16:56:47  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave - OkY, how about this for consideration:

A Compac Suncat 17 primarily for daysailing.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2020 :  07:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
Hope you're documenting your CLC Skerry efforts and will share the progress and final results at some point.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2020 :  08:16:49  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah - I need to load all photos (or at least select ones) that best depict the progress. During this project, I have acquired misc tools - Over 40 - 2” Spring clamps, over 30 - adjustable screw type bar clamps, a palm compact router......and then a regular size router which I should have bought first, a Shinto Rasp, Small high quality block plane..and etc. Oh...and Stop Loss Bags...you can check them out on Amazon. I got it with the accessories - flexible funnel and for when a reqular funnel is used, the tubing to fit the bags. Great for storing varnish, paint, etc.

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 02/04/2020 08:19:50
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2020 :  18:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a good over-nighter Sat/Sun. Light winds and t-shirt weather on Saturday. Very different on Sunday. Down to low 40's overnight and forecast for 18-24 kt winds by mid-day and some rain. So we got off the anchor early to make the marina before it hit the fan. Reefed as a precaution even though winds were light when we set out. Felt silly reefed in 3-5 kts at the time but as we made way it began to build. And build it did.

I was amazed how easy is was to handle the boat in whitecaps and strong gusts with a reef in and a 110% jib. Earlier in my sailing career I would have doused everything and ran for shelter. I'm sure it was not bad compared to what some of you sail in but the boat handled well and kept upright. First mate read a magazine in the cabin while I single handed.

As it was my first time reefing, I did discover the issue that has been covered here with the first few slugs in the main hanging up on the stop in the slot. I couldn't pull the reef tack all the way down to the mast. Next time I will put the stop and let the slugs come out.

So a guess a sail track gate is in my future. More $$$!

Also, the reefing cleat on the mast is oddly above the boom so I assume that will have to be moved down.

This is Saturday, btw: https://youtu.be/-mCwMjY1JHQ

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2020 :  09:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It was a day dream from some fiction novella on Monday... Out sailing in the sun. Could not believe it was that warm for the first week of Feb.

And I am getting Advanced in years so lifting the pop top was very difficult, embarrassed to say there was no strength in my arms. Time for the gas struts project.

Sore all over today...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 02/06/2020 09:32:53
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2020 :  10:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Wow what a beautiful sight...

Keep going though... it's worth it!!

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2020 :  11:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray I lifted that pop top 12 yrs ago when I bought my boat. I learned how heavy it was then and I've never opened it up since then. As you I'm not getting younger.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 02/06/2020 11:38:55
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2020 :  09:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave: another option . . . . . Just got back from a long business trip to San Diego where I rented a Cat 22 for an afternoon of sailing up and back, and again, between the down town Marina area and airport. Was thinking maybe I should just rent sailboats and not own as it is great to just get on and when done get off without worrying about maintenance, costs, etc.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2020 :  07:33:36  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Photos and some details of the CLC Skerry Daysailer I am building/completing are now on my website. Access by clicking on Skerry on the top right of opening page to my website.

Below are a few photos:

Larry
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2020 :  07:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave... put an electric winch on the forestay of a j24 and lean it back under the bridge...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2020 :  07:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry... That looks like FUN!

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2020 :  14:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Dave:...Was thinking maybe I should just rent sailboats and not own as it is great to just get on and when done get off without worrying about maintenance, costs, etc.

But Peter, I have a slip outside my condo, where I often just sit in the boat with a magazine and a beer and watch the shore birds and the sunset across the wide estuary. As long as I'm in this place, I will have some kind of boat, whether it makes "economic" sense or not.

Ray: I kinda like the water bag on the halyard method for tipping the boat sideways to clear a bridge. Either might solve clearing the wires and the bridge, but not always clearing the bottom! Around the dock it occasionally gets down to 30" at low tide, and well under that a few times a year. Besides, why would I want a J-24??

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/10/2020 14:16:37
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2020 :  06:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<<Besides, why would I want a J-24?? >>

Just some boat that came to mind..

Wow... the sandpiper looks interesting.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2020 :  19:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Hear ya -- I agree (sometimes the Admiral does, sometimes not so) Would a C-22 or Bullseye work or do you really need a mast/tabernacle to get to/from your condo slip?

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page