Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Tender Advise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/02/2020 :  09:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New year to everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted.
I'm looking at various tenders for the coming year but I'm looking for advise.

My goal is to leave the tender in the water since I have access to a dinghy dock where my boat is moored. I'm currently looking at a 9ft AB hypalon rib with an aluminum bottom. I'm assuming it will need to be painted with anti-fouling paint.

Question 1: Should that be a "hard" paint like the kind used for a runabout or ablative?

Question 2: Is the aluminum rib going to hold up ok being in the water seasonally? Frankly I'd prefer fiberglass but I can get a great deal on an aluminum one.

Question 3: Is the AB brand of dingy a good one?

Thanks in advance
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2020 :  12:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a fan of aluminum in salt water, but any inflatable (even hypalon) isn't going to last forever--the aluminum probably won't be the first thing to go, unless it's attacked by stray current in your marina. I'm not surprised there's a "good deal" on an aluminum model in Newport...

You'll definitely need bottom paint--here's a thread with some good information on bottom paint for aluminum hulls. Non-copper-based ablatives will be fine--I use an ablative on my current boat that cruises in the mid-20s and can reach the high-30s. I'll never use hard paint again. I'd start with an epoxy primer under the bottom paint. The timing is important to making that work well.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/02/2020 12:12:51
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2020 :  01:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm currently on a mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor in Marathon Florida. There are 220 moorings and probably another 50 boats in the managed anchoring area. Only a tiny fraction of all the dinghys here have any bottom paint.

Most people here will, occasionally, take their dink over to Sombrero Beach, flip it over, scrub the bottom off and call it a day......

So if you have the ability to pull the dinghy out about once a month, you might be able to forget about bottom paint.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page