Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Outboard kicker plate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yachtsea
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/16/2019 :  07:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Coming into our third season, my wife and I are growing impatient with the strength of the outboard's resistance to extend into the deep position or, still because of the springs, the difficulty pushing it slightly beyond to unlock it from deep to stow. The motor is a Tohatsu 9.9 extra long shaft and IIRC, that weighed in about 110lbs on my scale. The plate is a SS from CD and is serviceable, just seems over-sprung. I'm contemplating grinding through one of the springs to release it (it's that tight) or replacing entirely with an electrical jack my wife could operate.

I sent of a note to CD with similar explanation but wondering if anyone here has a solution for either of the aforementioned products.
Thanks,

Carl

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2019 :  11:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, Don't cut it. you don't say if its a 3 spring or 4 but anyway to release one of the springs just use a large screwdriver to pry one of the springs off the tube. Pry the part that hooks over the tube. This way you can always put it back later if you want and nothing is destroyed. The spring will just hang there.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/17/2019 :  08:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could be another case where, as in Ed White's thread, lubricating the pivot points might help. The spring tension causes pressure and friction between the parts, and the further down the motor goes, the greater the tension--I'd start there.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 12/17/2019 :  11:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem retrieving my 9.9 Tohatsu. I put a soft shackle on the handle. It has made pulling up the engine much easier.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

yachtsea
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 01/07/2020 :  13:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I surely don't think it is friction but that's a terrific place to start and seconds to implement. I also like the idea to disable a spring rather than destroy a component. Joseph, the engine is oversprung on the plate so my difficulty is that couple mm to get out of the lower setting requiring downward force) before it easily comes up on its own. I almost wish I had the opposite problem but with some ideas here, maybe I'll find a neutral solution.
Thanks,

Carl
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2020 :  07:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
I don’t know what you have done to date but others have noted the springs ease up with time/use and have therefore suggested leaving the mount in it’s lowest position for several weeks if possible to let them “age”.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page