Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Traveler
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/28/2019 :  04:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Finally I get to go sailing. All of September was HOT and no wind. Highs of 94 all month. Last weekend we had great weather and sailing off a pressure difference from a tropical storm coming up from the gulf, and yesterday was the same, even better.

Lovely steady wind at around 10-15. Expect to go offshore Tampa and it is supposto be 94 of course.

Added clam cleats just inside the cam cleats on the stern. the new clam cleats will hold the tiller tamer lines. I had tied off the traveler in the middle, and I was using the cam cleats to hold the tiller tamer.

Now I am again using the cam cleats to hold the traveler lines and using the traveler.

I expect she will point a little better and sail more like she was designed. I swear I can tell a big difference.

I got really lucky with the line length, just the right length. Any longer and if they went overboard they might get in the prop About 5 1/2 feet each side. 3/16th size line.

sorry no picks this time.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2019 :  21:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ray, are you planning to trailer your boat to Tampa. Sounds like a cool adventure where pictures are in demand.

On your traveler I use mine quite frequently for strong winds when pinching. In lighter winds I slacken the outhaul to get a baggier sail. I have a 3:1 outhaul with a jam cleat for that.

For my tiller tamer I just use a 3/16” nylon line tied to the rear cleats. One end I use a bowline while the other uses a full hitch slider knot to tighten up the line. This way I don’t need a cam cleat.

See the a Midshipman’s Hitch At Animated Knot.
https://www.animatedknots.com/midshipmans-hitch-knot

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 10/28/2019 21:13:38
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2019 :  05:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<<trailer your boat >>

Sailing a friends boat.

<< don't need a cam cleat >>

I use both cam cleat and clam cleat. Makes it easy to quick release as I remove the tiller after every sail.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 10/29/2019 05:24:02
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2019 :  10:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ray,
I'll be in Atlanta this Friday 11-8-19 on business. Are you back from sailing in the Gulf then? It would be great to get together and have a coffee or whatever! Send me a PM if you can.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2019 :  08:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

Sorry I missed you. Yep I was out of Town....

Call anytime you get to town and I will try to holler you up when next I get to the Chesapeake. It's been a while.... I do miss those Blue Crabs!

This is looking east into charlotte Harbor from inside the Boca Grande entrance.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 11/11/2019 09:37:15
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2019 :  14:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure looks like you had nicer weather on your trip to the Gulf Coast than there was in Atlanta this last few days - Near freezing temps and strong gusty winds!

Please get in touch if you visit the DC or Baltimore area! My boat is in the water all year.

Cheers,

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page