Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Rethreading shroud
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/04/2019 :  11:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a shroud that needs attention. Can this be re-threaded?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/J1GVDkwOTV2lfR2pHGF2nA.Uepm_gR7AH0bc4KH6hVEbo

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2019 :  14:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that the shroud side or the deck side?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2019 :  16:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Screw threads can be re-formed with a die that you can probably buy at Lowes, but they won't be as strong as before.

On a properly tuned rig, the upper shroud and the forward lowers are the most heavily loaded. The aft lowers are the least loaded. So, one consideration is which one is it? I'd be less concerned about an aft lower than the others.

Personally, if it's an upper or forward lower, I'd replace it.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2019 :  16:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starboard top shroud
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2019 :  18:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-25/rigging/standing-rigging/shrouds/upper-shrouds-standard-rigc-25/

No way around it. Dunno if i can have just one made at west marine since they have a rigger in annapolis
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2019 :  20:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like you hate to throw away a perfectly repairable item, since you can get a new swage fitting. That would be my first shot.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2019 :  22:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell me more. Do I just bring the old shroud 8n for repair?
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

I like you hate to throw away a perfectly repairable item, since you can get a new swage fitting. That would be my first shot.

Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2019 :  08:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well upon closer examination I see I have other issues with the standing rigging.
I seem to have a forward rake on this 1980 C25. was this normal?
Also the back stay is adjusted all the way in...

I am thinking that the cables have stretched over time and time to replace the standing rigging.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/-74XKQMiQOmQxK01NvBfKg.muNZw4JcrEwNXZUTjQa1JE

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2019 :  08:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well for starters your forstay is supposed to be attached to the Tang . Probably was moved down to get some adjustment room on the turnbuckle. A mix of open and closed turbuckles tells me someone replaced a few stays, Some new and some old. If it was my boat I would bite the bullet and get a new set from CD. Their sets are excellent and fit perfectly when I did my boat.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2019 :  08:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANK YOU! What about the forward rake? That was something I just noticed this morning. This is a standard mast. Can I just order the standing rigging set and be sure it will fit our 1980 C25? All the turnbuckles are in rough shape.
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Well for starters your forstay is supposed to be attached to the Tang . Probably was moved down to get some adjustment room on the turnbuckle. A mix of open and closed turbuckles tells me someone replaced a few stays, Some new and some old. If it was my boat I would bite the bullet and get a new set from CD. Their sets are excellent and fit perfectly when I did my boat.

Edited by - vdotmatrix on 10/05/2019 08:51:48
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2019 :  09:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A forward mast rake isn't normal.

A couple of my Catalina 25s lower stays were replaced, but most of my standing rigging was original after 23 years on a fresh water lake. Nevertheless, it was not stretched noticeably. I don't think stretch is much of an issue. If a cable is too long or too short, it is more likely that it was either cut wrong or that some prior owner added an extender for some reason.

I suggest you examine the forestay and backstay carefully to see if there's an extension in it somewhere.

When I bought my Cal 25, I found that the PO had a short backstay made for it, and installed an extension in the forestay, and I had to remove the extension from the forestay and add an extension to the backstay to get it right. The result was that the mast had a huge rake aft and the boat was deathly slow and had an awful weather helm.

Also, I suggest you disconnect each cable one at a time, completely unscrewing the turnbuckle barrel, and then start threading it back on at both ends at the same time. Over the years, as people raise and lower their masts, they get the turnbuckles out of adjustment and it reduces their range of adjustment.

Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/05/2019 09:36:22
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2019 :  15:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered this year from Catalina Direct, replaced all my standing rigging for my standard rig Catalina 25. All except the back stay were correct, because my back stay was split and with the pigtail...the back stay sent didn't do that.

There is enough adjustment with the new rigging and new turnbuckles to tune and rig the mast anyway I wanted it, straight up, mast forward or racked back.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234

Edited by - Erik Cornelison on 10/05/2019 16:01:12
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2019 :  19:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My full standing rigging suite from CD was a perfect fit, and included top-notch bronze open-body turnbuckles. My rigger, who installed it, was impressed, and had already told me he couldn't compete with the price if he made everything up for me. If you have a split, adjustable backstay, CD can provide that in place of the single. It appears to me it's time. (Peace of mind is worth something.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2019 :  07:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The kit from what i am seeing doesn't come with the backstay. Then, we have an option whether to split or not to split, that is the question. OR. Is this even an option? If it isnt split right now, do we want it split? So nice to ditch that pigtail....You folks who have C25s really help me and I appreciate your time to respond#128526;

Edited by - vdotmatrix on 10/06/2019 07:42:47
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2019 :  08:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A split backstay enables you to adjust tension on the backstay on the run. Contrary to popular belief, a backstay adjuster on a masthead rigged boat doesn't make the boat point higher to windward. It makes the boat sail faster when off the wind and in light air.

You have to have a fairly sophisticated understanding of rig tuning to benefit from a backstay adjuster. If the rig isn't tuned correctly for use with a backstay adjuster, then the backstay adjuster won't work correctly. If you're motivated to learn about rig tuning, then a backstay adjuster can be a useful and interesting control. If not, then it will just be frustrating.

A split backstay doesn't eliminate a pig tail. The way to do that is to rig a simple topping lift. If you replace the standing rigging, it would be easy to rig a simple topping lift.

Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/06/2019 08:06:15
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2019 :  20:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I will just leave the the non-split backstay on the boat the way it is. The boat has a topping lift and a pigtail which is a piggy PITA....
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

A split backstay enables you to adjust tension on the backstay on the run. Contrary to popular belief, a backstay adjuster on a masthead rigged boat doesn't make the boat point higher to windward. It makes the boat sail faster when off the wind and in light air.

You have to have a fairly sophisticated understanding of rig tuning to benefit from a backstay adjuster. If the rig isn't tuned correctly for use with a backstay adjuster, then the backstay adjuster won't work correctly. If you're motivated to learn about rig tuning, then a backstay adjuster can be a useful and interesting control. If not, then it will just be frustrating.

A split backstay doesn't eliminate a pig tail. The way to do that is to rig a simple topping lift. If you replace the standing rigging, it would be easy to rig a simple topping lift.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2019 :  12:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vdotmatrix

...and a pigtail which is a piggy PITA.
...especially the first time you forget to unhook it before you fill the sail! CD doesn't offer it on their backstays.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page