Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Buyin Sails - Need Advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Krusty Krab
Deckhand

Member Avatar

12 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/23/2019 :  16:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

Last minute decision, I elected to take the Catalina Direct discount and replace my sails this winter. I need help with 2 things.

1.They are saying that the loose foot on the main is really better. Is that true? Are there some down sides?

2.They're asking for specific info for the jib. I noted down before that my furler was CDI-FF4 (original). Does that make sense? And they want the "max hoist" from the schakle at the bottom to the top of the foil. I mean, I can't believe it varies so much from boat to boat to make a difference on the sail, for C250's. Anyway I can't measure this now, so they will lose the sale if I can't get a satisfactory answer. What do you think, and do you have that measurement? I don't think it requires a lot of precision...

Thanks for you help!

-Al
Krusty Krab
C250 SR WK #542 (2001)

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2019 :  15:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
They are saying that the loose foot on the main is really better. Is that true?

It is a game changer, much better than expected. However, you will need a quality outhaul set-up to take maximum advantage of it. After having it on my C25, I wish I had it on my current boat.

Can't help with the "max hoist" part, sure someone else will chime in.

But, for sure, go with the loose footed main.....

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Krusty Krab
Deckhand

Members Avatar

12 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2019 :  16:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Running out of time for the discount. I chose to order the main only, loose foot, and wait next year for the jib. No hurry really :)
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2019 :  10:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you got the sale... Note that CD sells an 8:1 internal outhaul system for the C-250--you can compare that to what you have and get their advice. A loose foot requires more tension to flatten since the bolt rope in the boom track isn't "helping." But the loose foot gives you more control over shape, and eased in light air, a more efficient shape in the lower part of the sail. The only downside I can think of is the need for more substantial outhaul than you might have. A minor upside is if you reef, you can tie the sail bundle without risking damage to the sail--as long as you tie it above the boom (which you can't do with a bolt rope).

Regarding the jib hoist, CD knows the basic measurements of the C250, but furlers and their attachment hardware vary. They probably have data for a stock FF4 on a C-250 SR, and it's probably a very common combination, but they may have been burned by the assumption. Make sure you know exactly how they want you to measure it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/25/2019 10:09:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page