Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Headsail Max Hoist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryank020
1st Mate

Member Avatar

53 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/22/2019 :  16:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am purchasing a new headsail and measured the max hoist for the sailmaker. I have a tall mast with no furler (hanks). when I took my measurement, I was surprised by a measurement of 31'10.5" (attached tape to halyard shackle, raised to top, measured to where I attach the tack to the deck). I thought this measurement would be around 31' as indicated by factory specs. Am I measuring this wrong or is it correct?

I do not anticipate that any modifications have been made to my rig. I ordered new upper stays from CD this past winter and they fit perfect. So I think the height of the mast is right for a tall rig.

1984 Cat 25 FK/TR #4687

Bill Holcomb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
769 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2019 :  15:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ryan,
You measured correctly.
The 31 foot measurement you are thinking of is the "I" measurement or factory headsail luff measurement.
The additional inches accommodates the halyard shackle and tack shackle; plus some extra length for tightening the luff by stretching the bolt rope and sail material along the luff. Tightening the luff is done in stronger breezes and to move the point of maximum draft forward. Hence the need some of us have for a jib halyard winch.
Bill Holcomb - C25 Snickerdoodle #4839
Go to Top of Page

ryank020
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2019 :  17:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Sorry, never thanked you for the feedback. Sailmaker said it was good to!

Thanks.

1984 Cat 25 FK/TR #4687
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page