Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 New C250 2005 #825 owner - Atica
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Donna-Atica
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
23 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2019 :  14:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha thanks!

Oh that must be an Aussie thang! Nippers are kids 6-14 ish that are part of the Surf Club - the Surf club teaches them to be ocean safe rips tides etc plus they do loads of competitions swimming, surf skis, running up the beach etc. Nippers are on every Sunday starting around our spring through summer to autumn #128516;

Donna-Atica
Catalina C250 WK 2005 #825

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2019 :  06:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Donna, seems that you’ve gotten off to a good start with your cruising. The scenery must be fabulous there, and with summer ahead, it’s the best time of year.
You mentioned crossing the bar on your way back into camp for the night. The Australian Coast Guard do safety videos about how and when bar crossings are advised, checking wind and current, as 1-2m breaking waves are common at the wrong times. Waves that could swamp a well found boat such as yours.
Not as common here in the States, we have some notorious “inlets” that produce their own wave conditions such as the Columbia River bar, Haulover Inlet in Miami and a few in New Jersey.
Do you take any particular care in bar crossings in your sailing grounds?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Donna-Atica
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
23 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2019 :  23:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce
Luckily I know this Mooloolaba bar very well - I have owned a motor boat for a good 10 yrs and use to take her out frequently through that bar - I agree wholeheartedly these bars here shift all the time the sand stilts change often and you must take special care coming in and out however Mooloolaba is one of the safest in Qld and I am very confident knowing it well. I plan to do a trip up north to the great sandy straits and cross the wide bay bar that one is very tricky. I’m going to plan very carefully for that. I have just completed my long range VHF course here in Aus you have to by law in order to use the radio safely (of course if you had a VHF and were in an emergency and you didn’t have your licence you can still use 16 or 67 in an emergency) however I needed it to in order to let the coast guards know my journeys and for bar crossings to ask for assistance if required.
Happy to report still in love with the girl and I have been practicing any spare time I have, Mooloolaba is straight on the coral sea so I’m getting good practice I took her out with a full on NE blowing 15-20 knots scared the crap out of me when the swell and waves were 1-2 meters and I tacked into the wind with the waves hitting me port side she keeled about 35 degrees and I swear I was shaking but I need to keep practicing in these conditions especially if I take her north. The wind this time of year is mostly north east which gives you pretty swelly sloppy conditions. I just love it though I feel like I am getting more confidence with every Sail. There is also a spot here which I love anchoring up dearly it’s called Point Cartwright we sit and have bbqs on the deck and jump into pretty clear water on a good day it’s shallow though so I’m loving my 1.1 draft I’m sure the big power boats think what the heck is she doing but I anchor her up and watch the other big yachts motor past - aahhhh there is some merit in these small yachts I just love this sailing #9973;#65039;

Donna-Atica

Go to Top of Page

Donna-Atica
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
23 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2019 :  23:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Donna-Atica

Go to Top of Page

Donna-Atica
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
23 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2019 :  23:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Donna-Atica

Go to Top of Page

Donna-Atica
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
23 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2019 :  23:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Donna-Atica

Go to Top of Page

Donna-Atica
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
23 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2019 :  23:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Donna-Atica

Go to Top of Page

Donna-Atica
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
23 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2019 :  23:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Donna-Atica

Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2019 :  20:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great pics...thanks

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2019 :  06:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to know the Australian CG is a great safety training resource and you’re taking training seriously.
Wow, lunch looks delicious in a beautiful surrounding. Winter’s coming here I’m getting jealous.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 10/19/2019 06:43:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page