Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Intermittent starter on the Diesel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SKS
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/28/2019 :  06:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was having trouble with starting my diesel engine. Sometimes the starter would kick over immediately. Sometimes it would kick over only after I pushed the button repeatedly, 4, 5 and sometimes 6 times. This intermittent start was frustrating, especially since there was no rhyme or reason to it. I finally got tired of it and asked the marina to repair it.
It took about 8 days of hunting things down, one by one.
Not 8 full days of labor, it was fix this, and the problem came back after several test starts at the dock. Fix that and the problem came back again. Fortunately, I never got out of the dock, so I never got stranded in the middle of LI Sound.
Finally, the technician at the marina diagnosed and correctly repaired the problem.

Here is the main connector to the engine control panel. It was held together with tie wraps. The tie wraps were old. Probably put on by the original owner of the boat, not the guy I bought it from.

This is what the connector looked like after the tie wraps were removed. It's a wonder the engine ran at all.

The connector was cut out and each wire was was made up individually.

I have no idea what caused the original failure.

I'm feeling MUCH better now. Much better.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2019 :  05:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! What a mystery. Not being familiar with a diesel engine on a Catalina 25, what does this connector do? With what looks to be five or six #12 or #14 AWG wires what do they control? I’m guessing one for the starter solenoid, one for the temperature read out, one for oil pressure, maybe a tachometer and a few more for other stuff? I’m assuming that the alternator feed is not included here however the alternator field control from the voltage regulator might be included.
Besides your starter, did any other gauges act strange or intermittent? Was your alternator charging your batteries?
Looked innocent enough until you opened it up.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2019 :  06:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The alternator charged the batteries.
The Tachometer was also a little dodgy.
The connector brought power from the batteries to the control panel and from the panel to the starter.
It also has the signals for the temperature, amp meter, and fuel gauge.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Go to Top of Page

Gunner
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
12 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2019 :  09:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey SKS, I have sail # 5309 and also have the inboard M12. I absolutely love it and it's been very reliable and easy to service.

I Haven't had any issues like what you're describing, but I'm eager now to go to the marina and check to see if I have this same connection, or if yours was a "mod" from a previous owner. I have been doing a bunch of electrical "cleaning up" since I bought my 25 but haven't even look at what is servicing the engine panel or starter motor yet. Where about was this faulty connector located?
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2019 :  05:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was behind the engine panel. If you remove the engine control panel, about a foot down the wiring, you'll find this connector. I've been told there is another one in the engine bay, but I haven't seen it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page