Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 45 degree (green) lines on compass?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/16/2019 :  07:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are the green lines at 45 degrees to the lubber line used?

(I also noted when I took this photo that the oil is gone! Add that to the list...)

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2019 :  08:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are lubber lines that are used as a reference to steer the boat. when you're sitting directly behind the compass, you steer by the red lubber line. If you move from a position directly behind the compass to a position on the other side of the cockpit, you can steer by using one of the other lubber lines, depending on which side of the cockpit the compass is mounted on. The actual compass heading won't change, but you'll be steering to a point on the compass 45 deg. from the actual heading.

In the photo, the actual compass heading appears to be about 105 deg. If you move to a seat to starboard of the compass, then you could steer to the other lubber line to a compass point of 60 deg.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 06/16/2019 08:22:44
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2019 :  16:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a beautiful Suunto sport compass built into the cockpit bulkhead of a 13ft Laser Precision dinghy called a Zuma. My daughter sails it now and it’s decked out in dayglow orange, lime green and cerulean. The sail, the bootstripe and the compass all match in color.

After a few years in the deep freeze of New England winters the seal on the compass burst and the oil ran out. The compass card no longer floats in the oil so for all intents and purposes the compass is toast. You cannot purchase this compass in the Zuma color scheme from any dealer.

I have never removed the compass hoping someday someone would come up with a solution to make a compass repair that would allow it to hold oil once again. There is a rubber gland on the back of the compass that was compromised by the cold weather. I’ve wondered how to replace it only to be told that it “can’t be done - no way, no how”.

I’m absolutely sure there’s some part number you have to order to replace the gland, but good luck. It’s been years. The boat still sails fine however...

Good luck repairing your compass. Please let me know what you come up with.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page