Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 More storage space
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmarion
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/16/2019 :  05:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I needed a larger electric cooler than the standard ice box as well as more storage space instead of digging stuff out of the bins under the seats, I decided to close the space under the counter and install doors and a shelf. The project was really easy. I used a melamine board for the face and doors, recessed handles and piano hinges so that it would look quite similar to the cupboard under the sink. The shelf is plastic covered wire 12 inches deep that I bought as is at Home Depot. To keep the beverages fresh, I got a 12v cooler that I place under the stairs.

I was a bit worried about using melamine instead of marine grade plywood. However, after a winter of bitter cold and humidity, the whole assembly showed no signs of problems. If it ever does, replacing the front and doors would not be a large investment.

Daniel Marion
Zendo
Cat 250 WB 2001 Hull #592
Valleyfield, QC,
Canada

WK 727
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2019 :  05:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daniel, that turned out great. I don't like seeing all the clutter but most important, everything is now secure when sailing.

Thanks for sharing, just got added to my list.

Regards, John
Westlawn Institute graduate
Yacht Design and Naval Architecture
04 Catalina 250 WK
Standard rig w/wheel steering
Yanmar 9hp diesel
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2019 :  06:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it...

But when you say it was easy that may not translate to those of us with no cabinet making skills.

Good solution hanging the back end of the shelf on hooks - are they screw attached or adhesive?

Best,

Carl

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat
Go to Top of Page

dmarion
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2019 :  11:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the compliment, thanks, but I have no cabinet making skills at all. Only the very basic stuff. Once I figured out the design, I went to the local hardware store to get my wood. Do not tell anybody but I handed the measurements to the employee who used a $$$$$ saw to cut the pieces I needed. The benefit was twofold. First, the cuts were straight. Second, the highspeed saw ensured that the edges of the pieces did not crack as it often happen with melamine. I used T and L shaped screwed hardware to assemble the thing.
To hold the wire shelf, I used high capacity adhesive hooks. The kind that you can remove without damaging the gelcoat. I did not want to use screws and leave holes if I ever decide to restore the space to its original state or change the type of wood to marine grade.

Daniel Marion
Zendo
Cat 250 WB 2001 Hull #592
Valleyfield, QC,
Canada
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page