Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 crack near mast step
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sabbatical surprise
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/08/2019 :  08:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I'm looking at a really clean 2000 cat 250 wing keel. On the right side of her mast step there are two small cracks. Owner says their previous 250 had the same thing. Anyone experience this? I'm new to the forumn and don't know how to post pics. I changed the pics to a public album. if you have tried before, please try again. Thank you.

[img https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gxxxk4kdVAF1VTsU7]

Edited by - sabbatical surprise on 05/09/2019 09:42:53

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2019 :  19:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your pics are an invalid link. You probably need to set access to "public" on Google Drive.

My C250 had a couple cracks in a similar place to what you describe. IIRC, they originated in the screw holes for the masthead wire socket and/or the antenna fitting. I don't remember exactly where the cracks went - maybe between the two deck penetrations, maybe they went over toward the mast step. If all screw holes are not countersunk properly, cracks are likely to start, and once they start they can propagate over a very long distance. (Most boat manufacturers do not countersink like they should.) As long as the cracks are shallow, they should be harmless and cosmetic. Some people try to grind them out and re-fill with gelcoat repair stuff, but I just ignored them and they never caused any problem.

One thing to check, just to be sure, is that the mast is not causing excessive compression on the deck which is causing the cracks. This should NOT be the case, since the C250 has a steel compression post with a mast plate welded to the top end. This should bear ALL of the downward load, unless the compression post base is failing, or the hull is deforming in some way that is causing the compression post to sink down and allowing the plate to compress the cabin top. This is highly unlikely, but you should check for it. And if you're serious about buying and have an offer accepted, I would put in a contingency that allows you to hire a surveyor to check everything out before taking possession. That's what I did, even for a C250.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

sabbatical surprise
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2019 :  09:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, Thanks for the advice. I changed the pics to an album which should now be public. If you could take another look, i'd appreciate it.

Edited by - sabbatical surprise on 05/09/2019 09:43:21
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2019 :  10:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those two small cracks appear to be superficial spider cracks in the gel coat. Most boats have some, Catalinas seem to have less than other manufacturers. My Gemini has more than I would like to discuss..

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2019 :  12:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first photo looks like common gel coat spider cracks and are superficial. Enlarge the second photo and it looks like someone smeared Marine Tex over a large area around the plate. Don't know what that's about.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

sabbatical surprise
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2019 :  13:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the second has snow on the deck.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page